Better Torque From A 318

-
afford the best head you can! why im porting my own magnums, best bang i can afford!! id love to go aluminum but ant got the bucks, same reason i ant stroking it, 2 grand to much!
Stock magnums are good for over 400 hp decent port job you'd think another 40-50 hp is possible.

id love to see 450 at the flywheel,..any thing above 420 ill still be tickled! in a 2700 lb duster, that be nuff fun fer me!!
Here's a dyno of the 380 hp 5.9l crate actually making 409 hp add some cr and more cam might get there without porting add another 25-50 cfms to that should be no problem.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp-0303-360-crate-engine-buildup/amp/

Mopar Performance 360 cid 380 hp rated
RPMTQHP

As to Dan the Man look at the torque difference of this dyno graph compared to the earlier one I posted.

whats really sad dan the man cant find a mopar for less than 10g,..im trying to build a 200 dollar duster to run low 7s in the 1/8th for less than half that, and will probably have it running before he ever buys a car!
I've found mopars for under 10k but they are junk. If you have a 200 dollar duster it's probably in a basket. I'll probably have a car before your $200 duster is safe to even think about driving.

I've found mopars for under 10k but they are junk. If you have a 200 dollar duster it's probably in a basket. I'll probably have a car before your $200 duster is safe to even think about driving.
itll be running and driving annnndddddd safe to 6.99 specification this coming summer! gave up dirt late model racing to do this so i ant no dummy starting from scratch, and i have a well sorted out plan, skills,tools,shop and all, it all comes together when you work your plan mann!! on another note, gotta race ready dirt late model thats won multi championships with crate 602 engine and anuff parts to tare the wall down 3 times and still build it back for sale cheap!!

straight bet slice of ham that doesn't happen.

any takers?

@dirty white boy

50K taste, 1K budget. I can’t blame anyone not wanting to settle. Settling can lead to regret. With that said, I fall under that 50K taste and a 1K budget. Don’t we all at some point?

I’m willing to do what you’re doing a good bit. My cats are purchased on the cheap as possible and I’ll do the work. IDK if Dan can do the work or what he can or can not afford. I just wish him luck in his endeavor.

So, I have a;
$500 dollar ‘79 Magnum (rust bucket junk)
A $600 ‘73 Cúda I’ve owned 30+ years (rust & bondo bucket junk)
A $700 ‘71 Duster, a rusty SOB
AN EXPENSIVE $1700 ‘74 Duster, needs floors!

Good fast now, look good later, or, maybe never. I’m good ether way.

@dirty white boy

50K taste, 1K budget. I can’t blame anyone not wanting to settle. Settling can lead to regret. With that said, I fall under that 50K taste and a 1K budget. Don’t we all at some point?

I’m willing to do what you’re doing a good bit. My cats are purchased on the cheap as possible and I’ll do the work. IDK if Dan can do the work or what he can or can not afford. I just wish him luck in his endeavor.

So, I have a;
$500 dollar ‘79 Magnum (rust bucket junk)
A $600 ‘73 Cúda I’ve owned 30+ years (rust & bondo bucket junk)
A $700 ‘71 Duster, a rusty SOB
AN EXPENSIVE $1700 ‘74 Duster, needs floors!

Good fast now, look good later, or, maybe never. I’m good ether way.
one mans junk is another's treasure!! room nuff for us all in this hobby! just gotta dive in where ya comfortable!

one mans junk is another's treasure!! room nuff for us all in this hobby! just gotta dive in where ya comfortable!

True enough!

I can drive anything from pristine to total junkyard worthy POS and enjoy both equally as well. Just make it classic American iron please!
Muha ha ha ha ha……
totally the same. it don't need to be a show car and i've had my fair share of fender flappin' junkyard refugees. it don't need to peel my eyelids back with power, either.

cars that are nicely set up, handle well and stop good are what i'm about be it a luxo barge or a 4dr a body. style is style.

Dan you started so many threads can't count them all. Also gave info to other's like you did what you said. Out right lied many many times I also can't count.
Nice say in ya got don't count ya chicken. Ever hear the one don't burn ya bridge's?

Dan you started so many threads can't count them all. Also gave info to other's like you did what you said. Out right lied many many times I also can't count.
Nice say in ya got don't count ya chicken. Ever hear the one don't burn ya bridge's?
I've never lied. Most threads that I started were questions.

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched
I'm not against 318s I'm pretty vocal against people trashing them, when looking for my car that's what I figured I'd end up with, but got a good deal on a car with 5.9 crate. Why so focus on a 318 ? I'd basically be looking for decent good running car with at least any V8 besides a 273 and have a 8 3/4. Chances are it probably will already have a 4bbl and cam in it anyways.

Last edited:
totally the same. it don't need to be a show car and i've had my fair share of fender flappin' junkyard refugees. it don't need to peel my eyelids back with power, either.

cars that are nicely set up, handle well and stop good are what i'm about be it a luxo barge or a 4dr a body. style is style.
I'm just wanting a nice cruiser, doesn't need to have tons of power. Paint doesn't have to be perfect but I don't want a rust bucket either.

I'm just wanting a nice cruiser, doesn't need to have tons of power. Paint doesn't have to be perfect but I don't want a rust bucket either.
Your a bit to picky and unwilling to do minor traveling.

Still wishing you the best in your endeavor. But at the rate your going and level of pickiness, well, I’m not a betting man but I’d bet against you owning an old car anytime soon if ever.

Again, best of luck and wishes to you.

I've never lied. Most threads that I started were questions.
You out right lied about condition of member's car's so as to make their car offered for sale look bad and you look good. Out right making the other member look bad. And the car offered look bad to other real buyers. After thet bent over backwards to offer it at a,reduced price.
You lied to other's in threads giving advise on how do so things like you had before only to state later you had not and had no clue. Then ran away.
Have a nice holiday Dan.

Last edited:
Your a bit to picky and unwilling to do minor traveling.

Still wishing you the best in your endeavor. But at the rate your going and level of pickiness, well, I’m not a betting man but I’d bet against you owning an old car anytime soon if ever.

Again, best of luck and wishes to you.
I'm increasing my travel distance and not being so picky. Thanks for the good wishes.

You out right lied about condition of member's car's so as to make their car offered for sale look bad and you look good. Out right making the other member look bad. And the car offered look bad to other real buyers. After thet bent over backwards to offer it at a,reduced price.
You lied to other's in threads giving advise on how do so things like you had before only to state later you had not and had no clue. Then ran away.
Have a nice holiday Dan.
Hope you have a great holiday. When I get my car and if I have questions about it, is it okay if I ask questions about it here? If not I understand.

Considering you have moved the goal post from a as cast head into something modified, pitch this to the future owner of a performing 318. That would be member “Dan The Man.”

All things considered, once you can convince Dan to actually purchase a car, and then do this mod, contact me on this subject again so I can offer you congratulations.

Also have fun convincing others to use a iron 318 smog head.
When he's ready I'll tell all about a 318 I know with ported 318 head with stock size valves a small hydraulic cam 218 @ 0.050 that runs 1.6 60fts with 3.23 rear gears 225 street tyres. its a full bodied A body sedan that weighs at least 3400 LBS and runs mid 12's......

Don't worry @Dan the man Mopar's are gonna be real cheap real soon. Just watch the economy implode very shortly and people have to offload their toys to make ends meet.:lol:

When he's ready I'll tell all about a 318 I know with ported 318 head with stock size valves a small hydraulic cam 218 @ 0.050 that runs 1.6 60fts with 3.23 rear gears 225 street tyres. its a full bodied A body sedan that weighs at least 3400 LBS and runs mid 12's......
Tell us about it, sounds interesting.

-
Back