BEWARE of doing business with 340bird71

-
My uncle used to tell me trust no one suspect everyone...I could not live like that though...even family will get you...life is a learning curve

The guy is an *** for outright lying about the condition of the engine.

Your friend isn't too bright for looking at pictures of a rusty 340 and thinking he's going to get a rebuilt 340 for $1200 just because the wording in the ad says it's rebuilt. One doesn't need the heads off or a bore scope to know that this wasn't a freshly rebuilt engine.

If the engine is rebuildable, then he didn't get totally swindled because that's the going rate for a 340 in need of a rebuild.

The few screwing's I`ve got from buying parts online were from members on fabo.
I`ve had better luck on ebay. Sad fact:(

I'm guessing not from well known members, right?

I got screwed by a guy with less than 30 posts a few years back but luckily Paypal refunded me my money. Also got screwed by "Uncle Tony" when he sold me a rusty spare tire well to replace my rusty spare tire well.

Other than that everyone has been great. In fact I've had 2 or 3 guys send me parts for free, despite us never even having a prior correspondence. Most people here are really good people.

Actually I did not single anyone out. But u took exception. But I agree too many bad deals are happening all too often. Kim
Fair enough. But I'm just explaining my reaction because of a red X. Not gonna throw one back just because. :thumbsup:

I got screwed by a guy with less than 30 posts a few years back but luckily Paypal refunded me my money. Also got screwed by "Uncle Tony" when he sold me a rusty spare tire well to replace my rusty spare tire well.

Other than that everyone has been great. In fact I've had 2 or 3 guys send me parts for free, despite us never even having a prior correspondence. Most people here are really good people.
Exactly. There are bad seeds everywhere.

The guy is an *** for outright lying about the condition of the engine.

Your friend isn't too bright for looking at pictures of a rusty 340 and thinking he's going to get a rebuilt 340 for $1200 just because the wording in the ad says it's rebuilt. One doesn't need the heads off or a bore scope to know that this wasn't a freshly rebuilt engine.

If the engine is rebuildable, then he didn't get totally swindled because that's the going rate for a 340 in need of a rebuild.
This

A 340 for $1200? is that not an indicator? I agree you have a 340 core tear it down see how much it takes to clean up the bores, also take down the heads check for guide play and replace the seals etc.
"Freshly assembled " can mean anything quality is in the eye of the assembler...not saying OP didnt get burned but they may have 1200 dollars worth of 340 there doesnt mean it cant be built and used.

Naa, they were here for a few years and posting. I can tell lurkers and flippers, not too hard.
Took years to put the parts in service and took a man for his word, which is a dieing virtue online.
Pretty expensive parts.
4spd.
center section with sg
steering box.
I`ve bought a bunch of parts from others, and was good transaction.
Not saying everybody on fabo is a ripoff artist.
You have a better chance of recourse on the bay

You can expect to see more of this as the economy continues to downturn. People will get more desperate for money. You can almost set your watch to it. Happens every time.

Buyer beware. Don't get taken.

I think the main point here is that we run into some people who are just flat out scammers, liars, and willfully screw people out of money. I have personally been screwed by a member here as well.... Just because they come to an A-body site doesn't mean they are a good person. I think that if more people had any integrity.. these things wouldn't happen. Just because the buyer didn't do a great job of investigating the purchase... doesn't lay blame on him in my opinion. The seller damn well KNEW he was selling what he was selling... he can phrase it how he want's... it wasn't what he said it was. There are a lot of buyers out there with minimal knowledge on some of these things.... and unfortunately they get dicked like I did.

Actually I did not single anyone out. But u took exception. But I agree too many bad deals are happening all too often. Kim
Karma certainly is a *****. I DID NOT say it was ok to screw people over. Can you read?! The buyer went and looked BEFORE he bought it. He could plainly see that it wasn't rebuilt. BEFORE he bought it. Well, he buys it anyway. Then pisses and moans AFTER the fact. Idk.... Should it have been advertised rebuilt? No, probably not. Should the buyer looked more closely or even walked away from the deal? Yes, probably so. It was certainly the day two fools met..... Where's that dead horse emoji?!......

I think a lot of it is constipation. On the part of the buyer and part of the seller. I'm talking between the ears constipation and that ain't no crap.

Not anything in relation to my quote but I love Uncle Tony really... but anyway $1200 isn't the end of the world in 2023 money. Take the engine and hone it and assemble it and fire it up if it isn't machined to your liking send it out. Alot of people "fresh assemble " an engine and it sits for like 15 years till they decide to part with it, looking at it, Id tear it all the way down anyway and see just what is good /reusable with it. Id bet if you opened Uncle Tonys slaghammer 383 it looks just the same...:) sorry I had to LOL! lighten up will ya its 1200 your talking about not 3800 which is what a hot drop in 340 would actually cost ya...

Naa, they were here for a few years and posting. I can tell lurkers and flippers, not too hard.
Took years to put the parts in service and took a man for his word, which is a dieing virtue online.
Pretty expensive parts.
4spd.
center section with sg
steering box.
I`ve bought a bunch of parts from others, and was good transaction.
Not saying everybody on fabo is a ripoff artist.
You have a better chance of recourse on the bay

I always use Paypal and don't send through the "friends and family" option. Paypal is really good about refunding the money for the buyer. Almost too good sometimes because I've heard just as many stories about the seller sending perfectly fine goods and the buyer still filing a claim with Paypal and getting the goods and their money back.

Last edited:
ya never know thats why I say quality is in the eye of the assembler...:)
:lol: I guess he missed the ridge on the top.
I bet it wasn't honed at all.
A flashlight would have shown new pistons giving the illusion of a fresh build.
The seller needs his nose broke. old school way of dealing with a rip off.

:lol: I guess he missed the ridge on the top.
I bet it wasn't honed at all.
A flashlight would have shown new pistons giving the illusion of a fresh build.
The seller needs his nose broke. old school way of dealing with a rip off.
I dont necessarily disagree but these days ya end up in jail ... I think if I was the Purchaser id tear it all the way down and see what I have BUT there is the "freshly assembled claim" that is a bit off putting...I understand 1200 is 1200 and I also understand what some of us have to do to scrape up 1200.

$1200 is too good to be true for any rebuilt engine.
In my mind the seller knew what he was selling, thus the great deal and the buyer was clueless in several ways.

-
Back