Beware of Summit Sales on EBAY

-

67yellowdartgt

Reaction score
They taxed my product at 7% (which is fine, I live in Georgia) AND the shipping..not cool...

FYI, it's not nessessarily the business that is at fault for charging tax on shipping. The state law in SOME states require businesses to charge sales tax on shipping costs.

The business may be powerless to avoid that.

It was always my undertanding that purchasing something out of state is tax free. Shipping tax???? WTF?

I believe summit has a retail store in Georgia..

20 King Mill Road.
McDonough, Georgia 30253

that is why you got charged sales tax...I have same problem in nevada...retail store in sparks..

I just ordered parts from Jegs today...NO Tax...which made the overall purchase cheaper

It was always my undertanding that purchasing something out of state is tax free. Shipping tax???? WTF?
If a company has locations in the buyers state then the buyer will be charged sales tax.

I believe Summit is in Nevada, Ohio and assuming Georgia since the OP got charged tax

I think he is saying he got hit shipping AND tax, not a tax on the shipping itself.

Tax is to be charged if the company providing the part or service has a concrete location in the state that they are delivering to.

Tell me about it. I hate it that they built a Cabela's here in Utah. Now I have to pay sales tax when I order over the internet.

Yes, the McDonough store is at Exit 216 on I-75, about 30 miles south of downtown Atlanta.

Next time see if they could ship it from Ohio!!

Technically, you're supposed to take it upon yourself to pay the sales tax on items you receive from out of state where you're not charged tax by the vendor. Obviously not all states have a state sales tax.

Most people never get audited by their state so its not usually a big deal, but it could result in penalties and interest if they did. FYI.

Due to falling revenues from the recession, many states are going to start cracking down on sales tax due for internet sales. 14 do now, and once a few more get on board, all likely will. The big retailers like Amazon will play ball to avoid fines. Ebay may or may not be affected. Craigslist probably not.

As for buying things in another state and not having to pay taxes, check your local laws. You might be surprised to find that you are required to self report and pay.

Sorry for the confusion..Instead of just taxing the product and then adding in shipping, they took the product, added it to the shipping and then taxed the total amount..In other words, I got taxed on the shipping costs too..

I didn't mind and understood the tax to the product because I live in GA ...but taxing me on shipping????

I wrote them a note on EBAY and they just responded by saying that they are required by law to place a tax shipping as well...hmmmm :/

thats now its required in ny. you pay tax on shipping charges

Yes, the McDonough store is at Exit 216 on I-75, about 30 miles south of downtown Atlanta.

Next time see if they could ship it from Ohio!!

Does not matter if they ship from Ohio or Nevada, if they have a retail store in YOUR state you will be charged sales tax.....

Sorry for the confusion..Instead of just taxing the product and then adding in shipping, they took the product, added it to the shipping and then taxed the total amount..In other words, I got taxed on the shipping costs too..

I get what you are saying now....that is new to me, and a bummer in general.

-
Back