BHJ Dampers = Good or Bad?

-

DEVIOUSDUSTER

Proud Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to dump a small fortune on a harmonic damper for my externally balanced 360. I have a line on a BHJ damper that's SFI approved and includes the counterweights and everything. I just don't know much about the brand and was wondering how they would compare to a company like ATi? Give me some feedback please! Here's the descriptionBHJ - "A" engine - External Balance - SFI ApprovedAdvanced engineering features make BHJ precision harmonic dampers the first choice in vibration control:-Size for size, BHJ precision dampers are lighter than competitive designs-All externally balanced BHJ dampers feature machined counterweights - no bolts to break or loosen-BHJ dampers are marked from 50 degrees BTDC to top dead center in precise 2-degree increments for accurate ignition timing. 90-degree marks are an available option.-Every BHJ damper is custom engineered to fit a specific application. All critical mounting dimensions are maintained for pulleys and accessory drives

I am using a BHJ dampener on my 1970 340.It is neutral balance non SFI.It is a quality product with good customer support.I had to mic the snout of the crank and then mic the inside diameter.Since I live in Calif,I contacted BHJ with all the info.They honed to fit the dampner to the crank.I paid for the shipping but they didn't charge me to hone the dampner.I believe that's the way they make the dampner hone to fit.I would have no problem using there product again.Hope this helps.If you have any more questions feel free to contact me.

Everyone I've ever used has twisted and zero had moved 12-16 degrees...haven't used one now for about 10 years

I use good stock or fresh stock replacement balancers and rev over 7000rpm,
For yrs.
I take them to a machine shop for balance 1st, all my motors are intenal balance.

-
Back