Big block/3 on the tree?

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was there ever any Mopar application that used a 3 speed manual with a big block? If so, what transmission was it?
My d100 has a Poly 318/3 on the tree. I love the three on the tree set up, and I also love big blocks. It’d be awesome to have both if there is a transmission that won’t explode immediately.

This isn’t a discussion about whether or not I should stay with a small block.

Thanks.

My 1963 Plymouth came factory with a 361 Golden Commando engine and a 3 on the tree.

The car was ordered new for the local sheriff's personal squad car. I believe it was a T-85 transmission.

However it and the orginal column are no longer in the car.

Tom

My buddy last year sold a 65 Coronet factory big block 3 on the tree.

Straight cut first gear on your D100?

Craig, I've often wondered that myself. Case and point, I have a dedicated (three speed only pattern) big block bellhousing. Casting number says it's a C body bellhousing. Stop and think about that one. A big luxury C body with a three speed. Was it column shift? Was it floor shift? Probably column shift, but unique and cool either way, so yeah, there were big block and three speed combo vehicles......and I KNOW there were trucks, because I had a friend in Byron who had a 68 D100 383, 3 on the tree and it was original. So build it! lol Look forward to seein you and pop some this season!

On the B side a while back (at least I think it was the B) guy was wondering if he should buy a 361, three on the tree, more door 62 bel.
If it hadn't been 3000 miles away.......
my garage would have had an addition.

That car sold to a guy in the midwest IIRC. Really cool one. I couldnt pull the trigger.

Craig, I've often wondered that myself. Case and point, I have a dedicated (three speed only pattern) big block bellhousing. Casting number says it's a C body bellhousing. Stop and think about that one. A big luxury C body with a three speed. Was it column shift? Was it floor shift? Probably column shift, but unique and cool either way, so yeah, there were big block and three speed combo vehicles......and I KNOW there were trucks, because I had a friend in Byron who had a 68 D100 383, 3 on the tree and it was original. So build it! lol Look forward to seein you and pop some this season!
Awesome, if you ever want to let that bell go I might be needing it. I’m putting a clutch in my Duster this weekend and have been buttoning up my RamCharger, so hopefully we can make it out to another meet soon.

Awesome, if you ever want to let that bell go I might be needing it. I’m putting a clutch in my Duster this weekend and have been buttoning up my RamCharger, so hopefully we can make it out to another meet soon.
That's great. It'd be good to see yall again!

1962 dodge polara 361 3 on tree . And a 62 Plymouth Fury 361 3 on tree. I hammered the living piss out of them both. . The longest J's I ever did was in these cars. Roll down the hill in backwards and let the clutch fly in second. Both were 4 doors.

My buddy Robert RIP... had a 68 or 69 D100 with a 3 on the tree. IDK which one. It was a 383 swapped to a 440. I asked why and he said why not. He wasn't much of a lead foot anyway. 1st gear is non synchronized on the A745 up to 68. The A230 69-71 "I think" didn't check the FSM. Craig

If my memory is right, most mopars came with a 3 speed as standard equipment in the early 60's. The 4 speeds and the automatics were a $200 option. In 1964, a 426 wedge is listed with a 3 speed trans.

My buddy Robert RIP... had a 68 or 69 D100 with a 3 on the tree. IDK which one. It was a 383 swapped to a 440. I asked why and he said why not. He wasn't much of a lead foot anyway. 1st gear is non synchronized on the A745 up to 68. The A230 69-71 "I think" didn't check the FSM. Craig
I had a 71 D100 and first was straight cut, it was an original truck.

FWIW, the A230 is the HD three speed and has a synchronized 1st gear. If I were to do a three speed, that'd be the transmission I would want.

FWIW, the A230 is the HD three speed and has a synchronized 1st gear. If I were to do a three speed, that'd be the transmission I would want.
X2 straight cut first sucks, but it supposed to be stronger???

X2 straight cut first sucks, but it supposed to be stronger???
The A903 in Vixen works great. I can even coax it into first before a stop. As my grandmother would say, you have to hold your mouth right. And yes, all things equal, straight cut gears are stronger.

The A903 in Vixen works great. I can even coax it into first before a stop. As my grandmother would say, you have to hold your mouth right. And yes, all things equal, straight cut gears are stronger.
I used to have (several) old Chevy 3 speeds, and got to where I could double clutch them into 1st from 15-20mph on a lucky day

Our service trucks at NAS Miramar were 6--3 on the column. One day the Chief and I were going somewhere and I rolled up somewhere and casually clutched it right into 1st. HOW DID YOU DO THAT? He wanted to know!!

Road Runners and Super Bees (383 until the 340 in 71) standard equipment was a 3 speed manual.

If you wanted a 4 speed or an auto, you paid more.

Road Runners and Super Bees (383 until the 340 in 71) standard equipment was a 3 speed manual.

If you wanted a 4 speed or an auto, you paid more.
I saw a 63 Maxie with a 3 speed.
I'm almost positive a four speed was standard in 68/69 bees and runners. Not sure about 70s, but i think they were 4 sp too. I test-drove a 71 runner, new, with a 3sp. Lowered hp stock, so....3speed. The 3sp also avoided the insurance musclecar surcharge.
The 62/63 Maxie sticks were all three speeds. T10s were barely stout enough for a 383, so no 4speeds till the Mopar 833. (By 1964 Ford was looking to replace the T10 from behind 260s/289s, to avoid warrantee problems)

Last edited:
I'm almost positive a four speed was standard in 68/69 bees and runners. Not sure about 70s, but i think they were 4 sp too. I test-drove a 71 runner, new, with a 3sp. Lowered hp stock, so....3speed.
The 62/63 Maxie sticks were all three speeds. T10s were barely stout enough for a 383, so no 4speeds till the Mopar 833. (By 1964 Ford was looking to replace the T10 from behind 260s/289s, to avoid warrantee problems)
Now I remember that story. There weren't any strong transmissions built yet. We should be thankful that the New Process 833 was such a great transmission.

the A230 is the HD three speed and has a synchronized 1st gear.
Yep
My 70 Duster 340 was a 3 speed. My brother ordered his Duster 340 with the optional 4 speed
The 3sp also avoided the insurance musclecar surcharge.
My dad co-signed for me and the insurance man said "Good thing it's a 3 speed or the insurance would be higher."

I'm almost positive a four speed was standard in 68/69 bees and runners. Not sure about 70s, but i think they were 4 sp too. I test-drove a 71 runner, new, with a 3sp. Lowered hp stock, so....3speed. The 3sp also avoided the insurance musclecar surcharge.

Nope, three speed manual. Floor shifted, though.

Many were built that way and of those many were converted to four speed.

Also interestingly, until 1971, you couldn't get a small block with a four speed manual or three speed manual with floor shift in a B body!
Even though the three speed manual was "standard equipment" on many B body models, you could not get a floor shift until 1971.

Even as late as 1974, the three speed manual was still standard equipment on Road Runners and had to be optioned up. I've seen many 1973 nd 74, 318 Road Runners with the standard 3 speed manual, but on the RM car line it was floor shifted.

Interestingly on Charger Rallye, column shift was standard with the 318 engine.

Last edited:
-
Back