Big block 440 in 71’ Dart “Heater box does not fit”

-

RonsSwinger

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback from my Mopar brothers and sisters. I have a 71 Dart with a 440 in it. The previous owner deleted the heater box (and threw it away a month before I bought the car). He told me that the heads they put on the car when the motor was built did not provide enough clearance for the fan motor. He only drove it on hand picked days so he threw it all away (Fraaak). The car is an original A/C car but I would be satisfied with a non A/C unit for heating and windshield clearing on cool days. I was able to locate a damaged heater box from a friend to use for sizing. My question to you. Is there a shorter heater fan motor available that would fit the heater box. If so I will have to start looking for a heater box (A/C or non A/C hahaha). Thanks in advance Ron D

I don't remember "which years" but the blower motor location and shape and stamping of the firewall is different between AC and non AC cars. Google a repop for firewalls and you can see

I'll be pulling the non ac box and the fan out of my 70 Dart in a month. It will be for sale here

the firewall for a/c and non a/c cars have different openings.
Of course it would……. I wouldn’t want it to be easy. I’ll have to find a non A/C Dart to see the difference. Looks like I will be searching for an A/C heater box…… Thanks for the info. Better to find out now.

-
Back