Big Block '64 Barracuda build

-

413cuda

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals

I am getting ready to start building a Big Block '64 Barracuda for my wife. Her father had a car similar and I am wanting to give her something to remember him by.

I will be on a $3,500-5,000/ year budget and have most of the build planned out as far as what to work on first, body work, drivetrain etc. I have purchased a one owner running push button slant 6 car that is complete ($1,600) but needs body work which I will do. I have just purchased a 413 and HD 727 which will go in the car. I picked the 413 just because it is different and not seen as much. I'm putting 440 heads on her and a six barrel setup. The Torqueflight for the wife's ease of drivability. The engine and trans have already been rebuilt. I picked them up for $850 together. I was wanting to show what can be done on a reasonable budget and with a bit of know how. I could lay it all out for you but I will be building as I go. (Things inevitably change!) I could write weekly or monthly updates with pictures and future plans. I do plan on this taking about 2-3 years. Hopefully not! Pictures will be coming soon.

I am really interested in your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. Please comment!
Thanks,
Derrick

hello any progress with this project. I was going to do the same but I to haven't really started on it. I was just wondering

The car showed up Wednesday and its in the garage. I'm just getting started on the dismantle. Pictures are coming!

Awesome. Love to see how the work is going.

I'm looking into a complete and new suspension system up front so I get new brakes,/ more room to clear the oil pan etc. Exhaust will have to be fender well headers. I plan on making them myself. I know it is a lot of fab work, but what else will I do with my time, huh? I am really trying to find a way to make the push button work with the 727 but if all else fails I will have a floor shift setup. I will have to make the trans tunnel a bit bigger to fit the 727 as well. Of course a custom drive shaft will be needed. I am in the market for a 8 3/4 rear end if you all know anyone that has one. I will be selling many parts as they come off so be on the look out for several parts coming available. Here are some pictures for you:

http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/pidisgthuff/library/1964 Barracuda Pictures

If these don't work let me know, but you should be able to see the car how it looked when it showed up on Wednesday. Tear down starts this weekend!

So I added just a couple pictures to the link above. This weekend I removed the hood, truck lid, seats, front carpet, grill, headlights, hubcaps, and some of the trim. This weekend I will finish the carpet and seatbelts, trim and start on the motor and tranny.

Today, I removed both fenders, front bumper, lower front valance, rear view mirror, visors, exhaust, gas tank and some more trim! Once I remove the engine, tranny and glass it will be just a rolling chassis ready for body work. I'll be doing body work all winter in preparation for paint spring or summer 2016.

Looks like a good car to start with. Do you know what year the 727 is ?If it is cable then you can keep the buttons.

Looks like a good car to start with. Do you know what year the 727 is ?If it is cable then you can keep the buttons.

Not sure of the year. I've got to do some research on the casting numbers. I would like to keep the push button option!

I have turned to working on the 413 a bit while I wait for some rust repair panels to come in. I bought some 906 heads as a slight upgrade from the more sluggish heads that were on there. Body work will be in full swing these next couple months. I will post some pictures of the progress later this week.

-
Back