Big block A body spool mount K member?

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I recently picked up a '68 Cuda FS 340 car. The car was out in the woods, but I met the owner. He says he put a 440 in it back in the 80's, and spun it out on black ice crushing in the quarter. Anyways, could anyone tell me what this K member is exactly?

It's an A body K member, but it appears to be spool mount ('73+) but for a big block. No big block in an A body after '69. What do I have?

with the spool mount K-frames from the 73-up cars you can drop a big block right on the mounts using 400 cordoba etc motor mounts.

If you need some of those mounts PM me I have some aftermarket mounts that I got years ago and never used so there new in the boxes

Either that's the old DC K member or one someone made from a small block spool mount k frame. I've made one myself. Essentially they cut the small block mounts off and moved them to allow for positioning of the big block. You can't just plop a big block on an unmodified small block spool mount k frame without cutting and moving the mounts, OR you use Schumacher mounts, which, instead of cutting the K frame, they 'cut and move the motor mounts' themselves instead of cutting the k frame. Either way works. Here's a pic of the one I made.

Attachments

• stock 440 mounts SOLD 2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 984
yup the OP pic looks like a modified small block K. Heck Jim Lusk may have did the modifications:D

I've never seen a K-frame like that. The anti-roll bar on the factory /6 and SB cars goes through the K-frame not around the front. I'd be curious to know if what you have was made by Mopar Performance or a third party.

There's something unusual about the steering linkage, too. I won't be able to say until I climb under my car.

I like the 68 Fish, BTW. Great find.

I'll take some more pics in a bit.

As for the steering linkage, something is off with it. The idler arm hits the torsion bar when steering.

sway-bar around the front would be correct for the 68... I put a 73-74 k-frame in my 69 and used the 69 sway bar since it fit the mounts on the LCAs. 4 holes drilled in the k-frame to mount it and you are good to go... not really all that custom

I among a lot of other cars had stuck a 440 in a 73 dart sport I had which was a factory 340 car. It requires no modification to any mounts to make it fit right in the factory unmodified spool-type k-frame and chassis. All I used were 76 Chrysler Cordoba motor mounts for a big block. I also used a 73 small block k-frame in a 69 dart and did the same thing.

Rocky, if you put the big block on the stock small block k-member it is too far forward and slightly crooked (at the mount). If that would have worked Chrysler would not have built the DC k-member. Those are simply the facts. Yes, you can put the motor in anywhere you want it, but it's not in the stock location.

The OP's pictures look like an original, not a home built Direct Connection K-member...That does look like a homemade driver side solid mount, though.

You can't just plop a big block on an unmodified small block spool mount k frame without cutting and moving the mounts, OR you use Schumacher mounts, which, instead of cutting the K frame, they 'cut and move the motor mounts' themselves instead of cutting the k frame.

It can and has been done I have modified set of factory spool mounts that allow a big block to be dropped on an unmodified completely stock 73 up small block spool mount k frame.(Has been installed on 2 different K frames) Motor is tucked as close to firewall as possible and still use factory tranny mount too.
Motor sits level and is not crooked either

Now this thread has me curious. I've had my 73 Duster since 2001, it's had a 440 in it since before I bought it. I'm almost certain the motor is in an unmodified K frame. I used the Schumacher replacement spool mounts and not the relocation ones available. Everything lines up in the car and sits level but I've always wondered how it fit if it wasn't modified and I never remember to take pictures.

It can and has been done I have modified set of factory spool mounts that allow a big block to be dropped on an unmodified completely stock 73 up small block spool mount k frame.(Has been installed on 2 different K frames) Motor is tucked as close to firewall as possible and still use factory tranny mount too.
Motor sits level and is not crooked either

Sorry, if you only modify the mount the oil pump hits the saddle. Again, if it was this easy Chrysler would have done it. Or Schumacher would not have built a longer mount that requires shortening of the saddle and a new hole drilled.

It's hard to tell from these pics, but without the relocated saddle the stock oil pump will not fit as it sits just in front of the top of the saddle.

Attachments

• K_16.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 585
  • GTconv07.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 603
Mike...those motor mounts look cobbled up to me...the engine side appears to be from the early, flat rubber biscuit mount era (pre-spool), and the bottom part that fits into the spool area looks homemade.

Just my $0.02 CDN.....

Jim while not trying to argue. I have done it in the 80's. The spool mounts and width of the tabs and how they mount aren't any different then in a big block 400 cordoba in 76. So Chrysler did do it they just didn't put the big block in an a-body after 69. Big block a-bodies didn't sell well when they did make them in 67-9.
The DC frame was a modified frame for maximal clearance and locations when converting to a-body big block using spool mounts. Schumacher wasn't in business back then. yes the engine will sit maybe +/- 1/2 inch or so further forward. the actual mount is set back a touch also not the straight line as I drew for additional oil pump clearance. I can not speak to left to right level, but can say it wasn't a noticeable issue. I do not remember the trans mount or drive shaft being an issue either.

The instructions from schumacher doesn't say it cant be done it only states for max clearance and for factory location very specifically. If you don't use the Sch mounts a high-vol oil pump fits fine as the engine is a bit more forward.

Sorry, if you only modify the mount the oil pump hits the saddle. Again, if it was this easy Chrysler would have done it. Or Schumacher would not have built a longer mount that requires shortening of the saddle and a new hole drilled.
It's hard to tell from these pics, but without the relocated saddle the stock oil pump will not fit as it sits just in front of the top of the saddle.

Attachments

• 73 & up V8 - BRB43.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 598
  • 73 & up V8 - BRB42.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 560
  • 000608846_414153 (640x295).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 545
You said UNMODIFIED k-member. Those are the Schumacher instructions, if I am not mistaken. You either relocate the saddles or cut them shorter. Your choice. It will NOT fit correctly with stock mounts and stock saddles. Shumacher uses a longer mount with a lower main bolt to clear the oil pump. There is no question that IF you used a stock k-member and stock Cordoba mounts your engine was TOO FAR FORWARD. Again, if that would have worked properly Chrysler would have never modified the small block k-member to fit those mounts.

As to the pics from Mike, you have an original Direct Connection k-member with a modified 73-older big block mount.

-
Back