big block A-body weight

-

68dodge

Reaction score
I been reading some of the replies to some of the question here and everyone talks about the weight of there cars. Let see how much our bigblock A-bodies weight, that do not have the back half of the car cut out with large tubs. Mini tubs are ok. My 71 scamp is down to 3036 lbs. with a 440.

67 gt 440/auto rear leafs relocated under the frame ands the tubs run to the frame: 3k lbs ready to race with a 6pt cage and the only plastic is the hood(6in cowl)fully street legal,rear steel wheels,everything but the heater works, I even put in a stereo system cause a friend of mine was giving me crap saying street cars have stereos so I installed one and still smacked him down by more lengths than I have fingers ...almost had to take my shoes off to count more digits lol god that made him mad.

74 duster all iron 440,steel hood, full interior with a heavy *** front split bench,6pt cage: 3200 lbs.

race car is 2700lbs but its.....bout everything is fake on that one.

So this means I'll probably have my Dart under 3000 lb's? Fibreglass nose and aluminum heads,less a whole bunch of junk like those massive steel bumper brackets...

my 68 barracuda coupe 383 4 speed Dana 60 wieghs 3042 lbs. All steel stripped interior no back seat. I have disc brakes all around and steel wheels out back with torque thrusts on the front. That is with a 1/2 tank of gas.
I have all glass except the rear, it is plexi.

This year I am going fiberglass fenders, 1 race seat, not 2 stock seats. I am ditching the stock fuel tank and installing a 4 gallon up front. I will see what the wieght difference will be.

My 69 383 Dart , completely stock , 1/2 tank of gas and the spare in the trunk is 3605 with driver , driver weighed 190lbs ...

We have never weighed my son's Dart convertible (440/4sp/buckets/console/all iron, including bellhousing and manifolds), but I suspect it's in the ballpark of 3,500, maybe more. My older son's 67 fastback (383/4sp all iron, but no interior) weighed 3,200 with a full fuel cell. It's been changed around some since then (2002) and I suspect it's a little lighter. I may try to get my Barracuda weighedafter I get the 440 installed.

WastedDays Duster weighed in at 2800 lbs with a iron headed 440, torqueflite and Dana 60. Car had a 10 point cage, mini tubbed, lightened doors, fiberglass bumpers, truck lid and hood.

I have a 68 Dart, previously had an all steel 340 roller motor, now has a 440, forged factory crank, six-pack rods, aluminum heads, aluminum intake, aluminum water pump housing and water pump....it seems to have the same stance as before...I already had upgraded the torsion bars and going to install rear sway bar...8)

Oh I forgot the fiberglass six pack hood....I can lift it with two fingers....

My 70 Dart will have an all fibreglass front end,no inner fenders,full interior,6 pt cage connecter etc. Oh and a big block 400,alum heads,intake, wp etc. Im gonna pull some tricks with weight to keep it down like losing the window regulators,bumper brackets etc,relocate the battery.I want full functionality with things like wipers,heat etc

I may add a front and rear sway bar for the street and remove them at the track.I think it will handle just fine with the stock 318 t bars with all the other weight mods.

i find it interesting that a few of you guys have them down to 3000lbs +or -. how did you do it? when a put mine together the 71 demon was 3710lbs. that was ever with a fiber glass hood, bumper and fenders. i then removed the "complete" interior except dash and center console, have one plastic race seat, and glass trunk and it still weighs 3505lbs. you guys have any ideas.

It's probably that big azz blower hanging off the front Bob.Lol,everyone knows those things weight at least 500 lb's,lol..

Guitarjones would tell you to back half it,lol..

73 Dart aluminum headed 440 and alum water pumpand housing, i havent weighed it but ill break down the list and maybe you guys can give me an estimate; some things i have weighed with a scale and ill start at the front
replaced front bumper and brackets-75lbs replaced with fiberglass, flat fiberglass hood, all lexan windows, removed rear side window with sheetmetal still intact 20lbs each, fiberglass doors, dash 2/3s cut off, inner roof structure bracing removed -40lbs, replaced steering column with a 15lb one, 1 alum seat and 1 plastic seat, removed rear wheel wells 15lbs each, removed exhaust -15lbs, stripped undercoating-8lbs, rear bumper-55lbs, it has 10point c/m cage i know im forgetting somethine else. Any guesses

My 71 Scamp race car was 1617 on the front axle and 1343 on the rear for a total of 2960 lbs. 440 BB, torqueflite.

73 Duster 440 iron heads, 727, Dana, full space duster interior, full 3" exhaust, torque thrust wheels stock suspension with SS rear springs weighs 3350lbs with 150lbs of me and a 3/4 tank of fuel.

68 Post 2700lbs also acid dipped full race car gearjammer is talking about.

-
Back