Big block cooling issues

-
so you're thinking have the radiator extend past the core support. maybe have it centered in the support?

How thick is that radiator? Seems like you should have more room than that...

What works, works. I disagree and it took me time to figure that out! Most will in time and hard Cash spent!

Hey guys, now that I’ve been putting miles on my Duster, I’ve found that it doesn’t like the summer heat of Georgia. When I’m doing 60 and 70 the car stays around 180°, but as soon as I get into traffic it’ll rise up to 220° and sometimes higher. It’s got an iron headed 440 with about 11:1 compression (if calculated correctly), a complete Holley sniper system running 15 base timing and 36 total, a Pro-Flow aluminum water pump housing, a Summit brand radiator with a 2.25” thick core, overall size is 27.5” W, 19” H, 3” D, I have two 10” 1000cfm electric fans attached directly to the radiator that turn on at 180°, I’m not running a thermostat, and I have an old plastic jug zip tied to rad support as a puke tank. No A/C.
I want to make a fan shroud but I can’t find any aluminum sheeting anywhere but at Lowes and they want $60 for the piece I need, and I don’t want to make a shroud if it’s not going to help any.
Is this radiator too thin? Would a shroud make that much of a difference? Should I get an electric water pump? Is Pluto still a planet? I have many questions and just want my car to run cooler.

Any input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

74 Dart , 440
I’m having the same problem. Have 1row Griffin radiator, this is the biggest I can put in. Have March pulley system plus Magnum Force coilover , rack and pinion K member. Support pipes on the side power steering pulley close to fan. Have high volume water pump, high flow thermostat. Did ok in cool weather but live in south Texas. Have even put that stuff that is supposed to cool down 20 -30 degrees. Looking into another radiator. Run two radiators. Going to go to the Martin Bros. Shop and ask them about what I can do. Some people are saying it’s ok to run 195 - 210 , I don’t like that high

If not close to 195-210 at times you are leaving HP on the table.JMO.

74 Dart , 440
I’m having the same problem. Have 1row Griffin radiator, this is the biggest I can put in. Have March pulley system plus Magnum Force coilover , rack and pinion K member. Support pipes on the side power steering pulley close to fan. Have high volume water pump, high flow thermostat. Did ok in cool weather but live in south Texas. Have even put that stuff that is supposed to cool down 20 -30 degrees. Looking into another radiator. Run two radiators. Going to go to the Martin Bros. Shop and ask them about what I can do. Some people are saying it’s ok to run 195 - 210 , I don’t like that high

Mine dont even run right till it hits 190---------------

I think for me to be able to run a shroud, I'm going to have to cut up my radiator support. With the radiator pushed all the way forwards, I have about 2" from the radiator to the water pump pulley bolts. The shroud/fan assembly that I am looking at is 4.5" thick! The only way that would fit is if I heavily modified my radiator support or removed my water pump and went with a electric pump mounted somewhere else.
Here's what I'm considering
Derale High-Output Dual RAD Fan and Shroud Kits 16830
View attachment 1715544365

Is that a filler between the rad. support and the rad. ? looks like ur rad. aint mounted right in the pic , it should be up tite against the cradle or dang close.

Is that a filler between the rad. support and the rad. ? looks like ur rad. aint mounted right in the pic , it should be up tite against the cradle or dang close.
Like I said in the post you quoted, the radiator is pushed all the way forwards.
The end tanks are thicker than the radiator core leaving a small gap between the radiator support and the radiator core. I have speed tape covering any gaps.

If not close to 195-210 at times you are leaving HP on the table.JMO.

This is not correct. The cooler the better. The cooler the more detonation resistant the engine will be. Cooler makes more horsepower every time.

You have to get the tune up correct for cooler engine temperatures, but cooler always makes more power. I run mine just warm enough so I have heat in the winter. For me, that’s 170.

This is not correct. The cooler the better. The cooler the more detonation resistant the engine will be. Cooler makes more horsepower every time.

You have to get the tune up correct for cooler engine temperatures, but cooler always makes more power. I run mine just warm enough so I have heat in the winter. For me, that’s 170.

I have to disagree a little , remember when burn downs crearted too much h.p. in the hemi top fuel cars? most always resulted in loss of traction and up in smoke.
My hemi would make more h/p the hotter it got to a certain point , and always hurt my tracttion , it was traction limited back then tho-----bad strip for huge torque and h.p. in a heavy car..
Bill jenkins even heated his prostockers to the melting of heads when it came down to the $$ race. Read his book on the ''small block chevy racing engine'' , if u dont believe me .
Other than that I would rather have it cooler than hotter too.

I have to disagree a little , remember when burn downs crearted too much h.p. in the hemi top fuel cars? most always resulted in loss of traction and up in smoke.
My hemi would make more h/p the hotter it got to a certain point , and always hurt my tracttion , it was traction limited back then tho-----bad strip for huge torque and h.p. in a heavy car..
Bill jenkins even heated his prostockers to the melting of heads when it came down to the $$ race. Read his book on the ''small block chevy racing engine'' , if u dont believe me .
Other than that I would rather have it cooler than hotter too.

Burning nitro is a whole nother deal! Not sure why your hemi made more power with higher engine temps. There isn’t anyone I know of not chilling their engines for more power. When you want to make a hero pull on the dyno you drop the coolant temp.

Running 17-0 does nothing for engine longevity.

Running 17-0 does nothing for engine longevity.

That temperature (or colder if you don’t need a heater) will be hard on the engine IF you don’t tune for it. That’s one of the reasons I can run as much compression on pump gas as I do. I keep the temp down, make sure the crossover is blocked (or better yet, use an intake manifold that doesn’t even have a crossover) and tune accordingly. If you saw the tune up I run in my carb, you’d probably think it’s screaming lean.

Like everything else, you have to account for what you do.

Like I said in the post you quoted, the radiator is pushed all the way forwards.
The end tanks are thicker than the radiator core leaving a small gap between the radiator support and the radiator core. I have speed tape covering any gaps.

I have a 28x19 griffin crossflow /2 row/ 1 1/4'' tubes , hi flow water pump/overdriven/vented hood , and it still on the edge, not having a real problem tho.
Like I said , it doesnt even run right /clean till it hits around 190 . I just fpound a problem w/e
Burning nitro is a whole nother deal! Not sure why your hemi made more power with higher engine temps. There isn’t anyone I know of not chilling their engines for more power. When you want to make a hero pull on the dyno you drop the coolant temp.

Agree , but it did , and elephant motors do------

Added some ‘99 ford contour fans, a 180° thermostat, and a Meziere (or however you spell it) electric water pump. Cooling issues resolved! Drove the car to drag strip and hot lapped it a few times, letting it idle in the staging lanes for 15 minutes at a time between runs, and the temp never got over 195°!
FINALLY

Added some ‘99 ford contour fans, a 180° thermostat, and a Meziere (or however you spell it) electric water pump. Cooling issues resolved! Drove the car to drag strip and hot lapped it a few times, letting it idle in the staging lanes for 15 minutes at a time between runs, and the temp never got over 195°!
FINALLY

That's great to hear. You got any photos of the install???

That's great to hear. You got any photos of the install???
This is the only picture I have right now. It looks a little ghetto, but I haven’t had time to make it nice yet haha
194E494D-75F6-468C-96A6-CD8394DF7307.jpeg

There’s about an inch between the shroud and the water pump.
This was before I swapped over to a Chevy style alt.

It looks a little ghetto, but I haven’t had time to make it nice yet haha

There’s about an inch between the shroud and the water pump

It looks fine... molded radiator hoses would clean up the appearance (and flow better too) :)

An inch?? That's a HUGE amount of clearance when it comes to big-block A-bodies
:thumbsup:

FINALLY
nice. what controller are you using to run the fans?

74 Dart , 440

Ditch the one row rad. , get a 2 row w/1 1/4'' tubes , wide as possible if crossflow .

I think for me to be able to run a shroud, I'm going to have to cut up my radiator support. With the radiator pushed all the way forwards, I have about 2" from the radiator to the water pump pulley bolts. The shroud/fan assembly that I am looking at is 4.5" thick! The only way that would fit is if I heavily modified my radiator support or removed my water pump and went with a electric pump mounted somewhere else.
Here's what I'm considering
Derale High-Output Dual RAD Fan and Shroud Kits 16830
View attachment 1715544365

I didnt cut my rad. support /440/505 in a 68 fastback . I didnt even cut the opening out to expose the tanks on the crossflow .
IMG_0469 (3).JPG

-
Back