Big block cooling question

-
underdrive = bad . I was referring to overdriving the pump, which would take a smaller pump pulley, or bigger crank pulley . to speed up the water pump.
Yeah I was asking them if they had a bigger crank pulley in the aluminum but they didnt they do have a stock pulleys 6-7/8 diameter so I went with stock 1-1 ratio

Just about got it all together and I don’t anticipate any cooling problems with this bad boy .
Time will tell pretty soon.

8131928E-8F93-4D8D-A65A-7716D9B5063A.jpeg

A60C1706-D355-461A-9661-2165666A6BD3.jpeg

What type thermostat do you have? Thermostat FLOW does more for cooling problems than what temperature it opens. You need a high flow thermostat if you don't have one.

Agree with that.
I've had two thermostats, one stainless one with about a 1" opening in the center, and the other one was a brass Mr.Gasket one with about 2" opening. The Mr.Gasket stat brough the coolant temps down way more.
This is ofcourse if the radiator is capable of cooling the engine at all.

Just about got it all together and I don’t anticipate any cooling problems with this bad boy .

View attachment 1715188736

View attachment 1715188737

I see cooling problems here, depending a lot on how much h.p. u got .

I`m going to look at my stat today, I have to knock about .003 off the pump mating surfaces before I start putting it back together.

My steel pulleys are the same size as the ones above================.

I have a 165 degree

That's way too cool. You should have a 180-195. If the engine cooled off after the 165, there was something wrong with the thermostat it replaced. Lots of good ideas here, hopefully you'll get it worked out.

Look at new cars and trucks. The grills get smaller and smaller, so engineers have to come up with ways to force more air through the radiator. Look at the open spaces under the front of an older car. Lots of open areas for air to bypass coming through the radiator.

As you increase the engine output more and more above stock, you need more and more help with the cooling system. That also means closing off spaces under the front where air can bypass the radiator. While you don't need the extra air flow because of the grill getting smaller, you do need it because of horse power going up in a relatively small space.

While air flow may not be your particular problem, almost everyone overlooks this potential problem when they plan out their cooling system. I see people on here all the time post......"I've tried everything" and no, they usually haven't.

That's way too cool. You should have a 180-195. If the engine cooled off after the 165, there was something wrong with the thermostat it replaced. Lots of good ideas here, hopefully you'll get it worked out.
I had a 195 in it put the 165 to see if it would help

View attachment 1715188736

View attachment 1715188737

Which upper radiator hose do you have in that picture? I can't quite see the number in your picture. The top hose I have at the moment curves back a bit and hits the distributor. The one in your picture looks like it would solve that problem.

Use a 185 high flow stat and pump, a three core 22” minimum, a shroud and a 7 blade fan. Sounds like stock B.B., it is. Paying attention to total timing it is a must. Make sure your hood seals are in place. It can be that easy! JMO!

Use a 185 high flow stat and pump, a three core 22” minimum, a shroud and a 7 blade fan. Sounds like stock B.B., it is. Paying attention to total timing it is a must. Make sure your hood seals are in place. It can be that easy! JMO!

I thot I`d change the thermostat, yesterday when putting ,mine back together from the pump milling process. Odered a hi flow (mr gasket) it came in and it`s exactly like I have been running.
What brand of "hi flow" stats are u guys using ??????????????

I thot I`d change the thermostat, yesterday when putting ,mine back together from the pump milling process. Odered a hi flow (mr gasket) it came in and it`s exactly like I have been running.
What brand of "hi flow" stats are u guys using ??????????????[/QUOTE.

Milodon.

Which was disproved a long time ago as being 'the' source for overheating-issues.
But people rather like to remember myths and forget facts. Not saying the holes were not smaller than stock, but if the holes were actually too small the overheating would show up first with highway driving, not during idling.
Their waterpumps were the problem. The scrollwheel impeller is/was not peddling the same amount of coolant as the stock stamped impellers did.
I've tested it myself with a car that always was on the verge of overheating.
Tried changing housings, didn't help.
Tried a few different waterpumps and found the stock stamped steel impeller worked best and flowed the most coolant.
Maybe the factory did know what they were doing after all? :)

As for the topic-starters problem;
Are you running vacuum advance connected to intake manifold or ported carb?

Is this the pump you say doesnt work good?
High Flow Aluminum Water Pump - New-440 Source

Without a fan shroud it will not work. Been there done that, did not like it.
Every fan needs a shroud to work, dont let anyone tell you different.

Funny that you replied today. I just returned yesterday from a 660 mile road trip, temp was between 80-85 degrees with mild humidity, double lane hiway so speed varied between 70 - 75mph, 3200 RPM. Car ran excellent and the temp was consistent.
It was fine on the around town cruzing as well but there was no extended idle time to worry about.
The 383 is pretty much stock with a few bolt ons.
The 14 - 15 MPG is a bit of an annoyance though.

Funny that you replied today. I just returned yesterday from a 660 mile road trip, temp was between 80-85 degrees with mild humidity, double lane hiway so speed varied between 70 - 75mph, 3200 RPM. Car ran excellent and the temp was consistent.
It was fine on the around town cruzing as well but there was no extended idle time to worry about.

Why the annoyance with the FM. It is 50 years old or so. Bet you got some attention on the trip! Enjoy life!

449B9546-A2B4-450D-B439-AD3A9916ADDD.jpeg
03D996CF-B53E-41C6-806E-B6F963E7A4D5.jpeg
B534451E-2414-4950-80F2-2ABDEF931AF6.jpeg
5ADFA293-4B54-4FCA-B3FC-82C7E639B479.jpeg
Why the annoyance with the FM. It is 50 years old or so. Bet you got some attention on the trip! Enjoy life!

I guess I just expected better mileage with our reg fuel at $5.30/gal. I get range anxiety with only 150 miles per tank.
Does a Barracuda only have a 10 gallon tank?
Went to a interprovincial car show with over 500 cars, Lots of Mopar, My 67 notch was only 1 of 2 there.
Nice to have something a little different.

Oh ****! 5.30 a gallon!

I run rec90 non ethanol at about 2.90 a to 3.00 a gallon at the moment. Thought that was pricy. Fill up is like 14 gallons.

Last edited:
You got lucky
That would not have happen here in central MO where last weekend it was 95-98 degrees F and humidity that will choke a horse.
I have never been able to run without a shroud.

-
Back