Big block exhaust is still loud

-

This one is pretty good and more mellow and less prone to resonation and roar. MagnaFlow 5 X 11in. Oval Straight-Through Performance Exhaust Muffler 12589​

These are the ones you need! Brian Tunks can share the story!

IMG_1656.jpeg

IMG_1645.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

IMG_1646.jpeg

I've never heard this before, my big block exhaust is still loud, what language is that???
I love a fast car that is pretty quiet though
My friend who is almost 60 told me 45 I'm old for liking that.
I'm going to try to quiet mine down. Man I love the sound of the terminator mufflers I had on my charger back in the 1990s

If it’s too loud you are WAY TOO OLD.

Helloooooooo FABO!

I must be getting old.

1967 barracuda fastback
TTI headers
3" X pipe over axle and out the back.
20" Dynomax (no chamber)

So recently i switched out the mufflers as the 14" summit mufflers were not cutting it. Granted i have no interior in the car, and I'm running it in the garage, outside the car is still quite loud.

What is the solution short of going to a 2 1/2" pipe and choking the engine?

will a inline cherry bomb or "resonator" reduce the noise? Or.... it's just the way the big block is going to sound. Ive had big blocks before and yes, they were loud..... but i didn't care.... now, i kind of care.

I like being able to converse in the car and i think with enough dynamat and carpeting i can keep the heat/ noise out, but is there anything i can do for my fellow man? Also not looking to pick a fight at every light.

I might be dreaming.....guy has got to have goals right?

Thank you FABO!
Find the David Vizard Powertec 10 video on zero loss street legal exhaust or get his book How to Make Power. In it there is a description.

3 things about exhaust noise :

i. the further rearwards the mufflers are, the quieter the exhaust will be.
ii. the bigger the muffler case dimensions, the quieter the exhaust will be.
iii. after the mufflers, stepping down to a smaller pipe diameter will not hurt HP. By that time the gases will have cooled and
contracted, thereby not requiring a 3" pipe. Going to a 2.5" OD pipe will likely not show a loss over the 3" after the the rear end.

The Vizard exhaust design works, BUT given the amount of real estate available under our MoPars....very difficult to replicate easily.

If you can find the room, these resonators from Vibrant work very well.
Vibrant Ultra Quiet
The picture looks round but the dimensions say 6.5"x4.75....so they must be oval. I doubt that they get that hot by the time the exhaust gasses reach them, but something to consider as they would be right next to fuel tank with little cushion.

Yes they are slightly oval, and they are the best at quieting down a rowdy engine. If possible, mount them before the mufflers for a slightly better result.

-
Back