Big Block ID

-

Calipag

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,
Found this in an auction and wondering if someone could help identify. My son and I have been talking about building an engine and stumbled on this. If this could be had for say $20-$50 would that be worth taking the chance. I could take a drive and look at in person prior to purchase but at that price point and with gas prices, I was wonder if it would be just worth the chance.
Thanks a head of time for the knowledge and help.

View attachment 1715899545

View attachment 1715899544

170881105_200x126_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpg

Last edited:
354-392 Chrysler Hemi. 331s and early 354s had integral bellhousings, so it ain't one of those. I'm no early Hemi guru though. Hot Heads has everything you need to build one of these beasties.
Heavy as sin, though; and a PITA to fit into an A body. :) For 20-50 bucks, though; it's money in the bank whatever you decide to do with it.

No it means I want to know where it is so I can go get it. Are you on your way yet???
It's an auction so we are bidding. We are the high bidder at $5 as of now but the auction just started last week. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Still new to the Mopar world but learning as we go.

An auction?? An ONLINE auction? that thing will go 3K minimum, and I haven't been following early hemi prices

You might as well just go ahead and bid about 4K and watch the nonsense

Okay....ANY hemi (1st Gen or 2nd gen) will be an expensive rebuild, say, five times a Chevy. And missing parts and peripherals will be expensive.. And that thing should NOT go in an a-body (again, just my opinion. ) 1st gens belong in a gasser style car, or an old street rod, they are a natural there.
If I were to value that, I would guess $2000 if it is a 392 (or more) and $1500 if it's a 354. I might be way low on my guess.

WOW in that condition, they are still worth that kind of money?
Yep, maybe more. If that were mine, it would go in my 33 Imperial sedan.
Edit: pushrods and lifters are there (they would obviously be replaced) but that means a thousand dollar valvetrain is there, and the v covers are probably worth $200. So, how much Is a hemi block, heads, steel crank and rods worth?

Looks like aluminum heads on it to me. I’d throw 5k at it and see if it sticks.

I don't mean to interrupt you while your driving over to pick up this engine, but here's a sneak peak at what they can look like.
100_1349.JPG
100_1244.JPG

354-392 Chrysler Hemi. 331s and early 354s had integral bellhousings, so it ain't one of those. I'm no early Hemi guru though. Hot Heads has everything you need to build one of these beasties.
Heavy as sin, though; and a PITA to fit into an A body. :) For 20-50 bucks, though; it's money in the bank whatever you decide to do with it.
Eh, from 54 on 331s had the same short bellhousing. So it could be a later 331. To the OP, if you can get a closer shot of the front, we might can tell if it's a tall deck (392) or not.

Buy it and advertise it on the HAMB and make a chunk of cash, those boy’s will put it to use. There’s one guy that runs in the South East Gasser Association with a 41 Dodge.

Also, FWIW, it's not a big block. The bare block is almost identical in size and shape as the Mopar LA small block. The heads just make them look deceivingly big. With the early Hemis, they are only similar to the big blocks in that there is a low deck (331 and 354) and the tall deck (392).

-
Back