Big block in a early A, Headers????

-

Reaction score
What are people using for headers or manifolds for a big block in an early A?? I am thinking about changing out my small block to a 383, eventually. Looks pretty straight forward with the Schumacher mounts. I just have no idea what to do about the exhaust. Thanks for any ideas!!

This is a tough one. There is so little room with the narrow engine bays that there are virtually no options for and RB other than fenderwells, and cutting part of the passenger side shock tower to clear the center cylinders is I beleive a must do, even for the B motor. When I built the set of headers for a 440 in an early A, I went fenderwells, cut the shock tower by the passenger side center cylinders for tube clearance, and built a recessed area in the firewall area for the tubes to go further back and allow some turning radius. I am researching the same thing as I post this. My guess is the best option for a B motor /earlyA is to go with a coilover front of some sort to gain room by getting rid of the torsion bars, then get very creative about routing some of the pipes with slip tubes to allow going through the side of the inner fenderwells down low for one or two pipes per side. Custom headers are not going to be cheap, and I wish someone would post if they have had any done for a B motor in an early A!

My guess is the best option for a B motor /earlyA is to go with a coilover front of some sort to gain room by getting rid of the torsion bars and turn it right into an ol' Chevy or Ferd :)

I have been considering this among other things for my '65. I think it is do-able, but it's going to take some creativity and they won't be a "max horsepower" equal length 4 into 1 header. More of a "make it fit" 4 into 1 header. If it was a race car I'd say replace the suspension with coilovers and rack and pinion to make some room.

I have been considering this among other things for my '65. I think it is do-able, but it's going to take some creativity and they won't be a "max horsepower" equal length 4 into 1 header. More of a "make it fit" 4 into 1 header. If it was a race car I'd say replace the suspension with coilovers and rack and pinion to make some room.
That is an upcoming project of mine. I am going to build a coilover/stock upper and lower A arm front with a rack and pinion steering system. Done it once already, so I have a decent handle on what the issues are. Will be doing it with a stock chassis this time though, not a tube car like before.

Attachments

• Dart pics 098.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 465
  • Dart pics 096.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 448
I have a friend that used to have a 440 in a 65 valiant and used log style manifolds. They fit.

custom fender wells is the way i went with the 440 in my 64 valiant. stock suspension and it fit under the flat hood.

64valiant022.jpg

64valiant019.jpg

64valiant023.jpg

64valiant024.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

64valiant001.jpg

:burnout:that 65' would make a nice looking gasser!!!........Then you get all the clearance you want. Thats how I'm fitting my old hemi in my 64' dart.

-
Back