big block/small block

-

dwgibbs

Reaction score
new to the forum and would like to find out the best avenue to go.. i just purchased a 74 dart swinger with a 318... body is in great shape with 74000 original miles.. i do want to pull the 318 and drop more HP in it.. what would you guys recommend? i am poor boyin of course... i am undecided on whether to go 360 or big block.. which would be more bang for the buck?? i plan on using a 727 with 83/4 geared at 4.33 or 4.56... it will be a daily driver,, but dont want to be late for work... any ideas/ suggestions is appreciated

cheapest way would be a 360 since you already have all the brackets and trans. if ya go 360 keep the 904 trans in the car and just do a good quality rebuild with a shift kit.

I say 360. Those gears will kill gas mileage, might consider something else for daily commuting.

gas mileage is not a concern.. i commute less than a mile to work,,, another goal is to lose the "break" i am looking at replacing the front clip as well... i have heard the front clip from older darts will work.... i dont mind changing the originality of the car and want it to be more of a rod thats streetable..

given the choices, another vote for the 360. And I agree that those gears are too much. 3.56 gears will get you down the road and not kill you with the 3,000+ rpm drone and bad gas mileage on the freeway.

Before you yank the 318, do some research on ways to pep it up. There are a number of things you can do to increase its power without spending the money on a new motor.

another goal is to lose the "break" i am looking at replacing the front clip as well..

yea you could lose the beak. but you still have that strange looking rear end. the early front end would look strange with the newer rear end in my opinion.

Cheap horse power, Throw a nitrous bottle on that 318.

So…… Drivetrain change and front body change. You are better off just finding another car of a year you like.

You will be money ahead.

Damn,they did a lot of work on that '75 dart to make it look like a '70..WHY????..if you want a '70 just buy one cause' in the end that '70 looking dart is STILL a '75 and always will be...

Damn,they did a lot of work on that '75 dart to make it look like a '70..WHY????..if you want a '70 just buy one cause' in the end that '70 looking dart is STILL a '75 and always will be...

Because sometimes it's just about the journey not about semantics.

Some people don,t buy cars for resale value,they buy them for their own enjoyment.:cheers:

WOW,, thanks for the link DartGTDan... that's is valuable info for what we have in mind... this is project for my son,, son-in-law and myself... we are not looking to increase value, or anything else except to build the dart the way we want to and enjoy doing it together.... and it is about the journey....

-
Back