Big Block Swinger from Oklahoma

-
FYI....there is a forum on this site dedicated to big blocks.....and there is that other site......what is it called.....oh yeah BIG BLOCK DART
where they are falling out of trees.....

As to your belief system.....everyone is entitled to their own opinion....what makes yours the right one for everyone? :finga::stfu:

Don't know what planet you live on but none of these old cars can be picked up for nearly nothing....at least not if they are in good shape....

LOL BBD is dead. I check FABO and MOPARTS before I even think of that one.

Falling out of trees eh? I guess I missed all of them at the shows and swap meets here in Oklahoma. Oh and texas.

What are the center caps on the front wheels? They look similar to the old style chrome center from Cragar that were available in the early '70s...

Cragar_centercap_zps70c5e7d0.jpg

3072625-lambeck_zpse3ebfd19.jpg

edit: After another look, the logo looks like it might be from American Racing? But the wheels look like a Centerline Auto Drag. I'm interested in some info about them and possibly a detailed pic, if you don't mind.

Thanks

Like you said it's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I have a query for you...which year Windsor engine do you speak of? Old 302s have a different firing order, first off. Second, the cylinder numbering on a Ford is different, so in reality if you map out the firing order on a piece of paper with correct sequence, the actual firing sequence on a 302HO, or "5.0" as so many like to mistakenly refer to it, ( 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) is actually the same as about 95% of other domestic V8s...

Find another reason why you don't like the sound....it's probably the H pipe.
First off, I would love to thank you for acknowledging that my opinion is mine and only matters to me and those who agree with it, you are awesome and I wish more people felt that way! :cheers: If I could shake your hand I would.

Secondly, now you're bringing up Windsors and old school vs. new school and I got lost cause admittedly I don't know much about Fords, though I need to learn now that I'm starting a restoration on a '65 Falcon. Older 302's like the 64-early 70's sounded cool like any other V8. The 5.0 (302) fuel injected stuff from like 90ish and up are the ones that make me cringe when I hear them. I had a picture somewhere outlining firing orders of common V-8's and I'll post it if I find it. Maybe you are right on the H-Pipe but it could also be the shape of the exhaust system limited by the platform it's built on causing funky harmonics, I dunno. I just hate their sound all together and always chocked it up to firing order.

EDIT: BTW, I noticed your username and I'm now thinking you own an '84 mustang, I don't think I offended you cause you're so cool about other peoples opinions and you pointed out the H-pipe thing, but if I did I am sorry. I was just expressing my opinion.

Nope, no offense taken at all-everyone has a right to their opinion...it's when folks start trying to force their will upon me that I get a little sideways.

Anyway, the firing order, to my knowledge, has about zero to do with the sound of a particular breed of car if it's a V8. I read a few articles about a concept called order of sound, and regardless of the firing order, the pulses are still once every 90* of crank rotation, so unless you're running a very exotic type of exhaust, most V8s sound like most V8s. That being said, the later model HO 302s, aka 5.0s, (82-up) actually utilized the 351W firing order, and that was brought about by using the 351 truck high torque cam in a 302. As far as later models sounding like poo, it may've been due to some clown using the SLP "Loudmouth" exhaust, which are in reality cheap *** glasspacks...and they sound like trash regardless of what they're behind.

definitely less expensive than a 426 hemi. will have lots of power and should be plenty reliable. but it will be poor on gas mileage i'm afraid. :D

Nope, no offense taken at all-everyone has a right to their opinion...it's when folks start trying to force their will upon me that I get a little sideways.

Anyway, the firing order, to my knowledge, has about zero to do with the sound of a particular breed of car if it's a V8. I read a few articles about a concept called order of sound, and regardless of the firing order, the pulses are still once every 90* of crank rotation, so unless you're running a very exotic type of exhaust, most V8s sound like most V8s. That being said, the later model HO 302s, aka 5.0s, (82-up) actually utilized the 351W firing order, and that was brought about by using the 351 truck high torque cam in a 302. As far as later models sounding like poo, it may've been due to some clown using the SLP "Loudmouth" exhaust, which are in reality cheap *** glasspacks...and they sound like trash regardless of what they're behind.
I feel ya there man.

As far as the firing order, that makes alot of sense. Never considered that one before. As far as the cheep glasspacks, you're probably right cause we have a lot of clowns around here and alot of the local modern muscle car owners around here are just as bad as the ricer's.

Either way thanks for the cool insight and it was awesome talking, but now I think we need to stop thread hijacking lol!

Agreed...back to the subject matter:

What all do you have planned to accomplish with the rat in there?

The whole point in building this car is to have a car the family can enjoy. once in a while we go get a coke and cruise around. it is a ball. you don't see swingers around here and one night we counted 3 new cars ( they still had paper tags on them ) pointing at our little green swinger. my wife thought that was great. we also wanted to do some of the local car cruises around here. I have not got alot of work done this week I had a 2 day drag race I did saturday and sunday and last night I installed a nitrous system on a customers car. Maybe this weekend i will get the engine bay painted and the engine back in.
Dtruck.jpg

A CUMMINS? In an A-body? No,no,no, it'll never fit! Now maybe a nice little turbo 4 cyl. Perkins or a blown 4 cyl Detroit. Hmmmmm, yeah, now THAT'S the ticket! :)

They fit in 67-69 camaro's.

Sweet mazda, im gonna show that one to my buddy, hes got one and ive been talking him into a slant build.

Looks good. How hard was it to modify the pan to make it fit?(on the dart)

The original plan was to modify the pan like the 62-67 Nova pans, but that would not work. The drag link came out dead center in the oil pump. I looked at a dry sump system but that is out of my price range. So I am going to convert to a front steer rack and pinion and use the factory pan with no modifications. This will let me get rid of the factory steering box and use the cast iron manifolds. Also the mid 70’s Cadillac 472/500 had a mid sump pan. Has anyone seen one of these in a Dart? If not it maybe another choice. I realize the purists do not agree with the BBC in my Dart but I did not take near the abuse I figured I would get for this.

You won't find much in the way of hybrid mopars here. The vast majority of people on this forum are purists and seem to have a hatred for anyone that wants to use a familiar powerplant

The closest chevy hybrid was the guy doing an lsx valiant. But that thread died. He had an alum pan customized into a center sump along with a custom pickup tube.

I bought a 400/727 from a guy that was going to put it in a Cutlass. His uncle bought him a 454 to keep him from doing it. Guess it's not just us that like to keep it apple to apples. Remember the big stink back in the 70's when Chevy guys found olds motors in their cars? Huge law suites. Seems Chevy people were pissed to find a different GM product under their hoods.

to each his own, you really should junk the rat. just say'n

I got the inner fenders and firewall painted ( frosty Green ) also got the radiator, what do you know the water ports are in the correct location for the BBC.

haha nice

gonna be a runnin lil car i think

kinda like a club sammich sometimes things just go together well :D

i'm puttin a 400bb in my duster. went down to his shop & was talking to bucky hess the other day, told him i have maybe 5000 dollars total in my engine, but probably less. he said LOL my intake for my 426 hemi cost as much as your whole engine

so you are saving money and will have something you can tool around in... and definitely will get conversations going wherever you take her

Have you tried block hugger headers, the kind designed for street rods? Might just fit, and surely an improvement over the manifolds.

-
Back