Big block weight reduction?

-

Capt. Zorro

Reaction score
I did a search and found that a stock 440 weighs about 670#, but didn't find the weight of a 440 with aluminum water pump and housing, aluminum intake, heads and headers. Anyone know about how much weight you'd loose?
TIA

Try a look-si around the manufactures web sites for the weights of the aluminum parts. I think heads are approx. 50 lbs. lighter.
I know that water pump housing is a heavy sucker.

I did a search and found that a stock 440 weighs about 670#, but didn't find the weight of a 440 with aluminum water pump and housing, aluminum intake, heads and headers. Anyone know about how much weight you'd loose?
TIA

I know the difference between the stock water pump and aluminum pump assembly is 14#, I weighted mine before installing. Somewhere is a breakdown on before and after weights of engine parts and fiberglass hood and fenders, I'll try to find it.

Terry

Thanks Demon, haven't fooled with 440's much but lost over 100# going with aluminum heads, intake and water pump on the 428 FE I put in my old Model A coupe. Looks like about the same for the Mopar, it could use a diet. Bent the bolts on my engine stand...

Hey capt, here is some stock weights for you:

Mopar Slant Six 225 RG 475 lbs

Mopar 273-340 "A" V8 525 lbs

Mopar 360 "A" 550 lbs

Mopar 361-383-400 B V8 620 lbs

Mopar 413-426W-440 RB V8 670 lbs

Mopar Street Hemi 426 765 lbs

Those are interesting numbers. I wonder why the 360 is 25 lbs heavier than the 273-340?

Interesting. Going by your numbers, my duster with the 383 weighs the same as the car sith its original 340 w/ PS. Hmmmmm

Interesting. Going by your numbers, my duster with the 383 weighs the same as the car sith its original 340 w/ PS. Hmmmmm
Don, I take it that the box difference in weight is 95lbs?

I think I saved these numbers came from all par.

Those are interesting numbers. I wonder why the 360 is 25 lbs heavier than the 273-340?

The only thing I can think of, off the top of my head would be a beefier crank. The journals are larger. Also being extrnal in balance, perhaps damper? IDK, good question.

no that includes the alloy water pump and housing the lightweight pin on hood, the light weight starter, the light weight M/C, the alloy intke, the headers, and the difference in power and man steering.

Part....................Weight savings
aluminum heads..........58#
intake..................25#
water pump & housing....15#
headers.................25#
Total savings:..........123#

Manual steering is 37# lighter than power, and a 727 is 75# lighter than an A-833, and who knows how much A/C weighs. Small blocks weigh the same as a slant 6, and the B motors are 95# more than that, so a manual slant 6 or small block with power steering and A/C (guess 60# for that) can weigh 200# more than a 383 or 528 A/T, mostly all up front.

-
Back