Big bolt pattern rear drums for a early A body????

-

Reaction score
Any one know if some one sells drums to fit an early A but in the large bolt pattern? My 65 GT has a 8.75 rear and I am wanting to get a set of big pattern axles for it. Just not sure what I have to do for the drum breaks. I would like to keep the factory breaks, and backing plates if possible. And just change out the drums. Will drums of any other car work?

Thanks!!!

No, the offset is different. I believe that you can get aftermarket big bolt pattern axles that use the same offset as the stock axles, but you'll need to redrill small bolt pattern drums. Most aftermarket axles will be setup to be used with the wider 10x2.5" brakes. You'll want to steal the backing plates and everything off of a bigger or later car with that size brakes.

No, the offset is different. I believe that you can get aftermarket big bolt pattern axles that use the same offset as the stock axles, but you'll need to redrill small bolt pattern drums. Most aftermarket axles will be setup to be used with the wider 10x2.5" brakes. You'll want to steal the backing plates and everything off of a bigger or later car with that size brakes.

Please excuse my ignorance,
But offset deferent? What is deferent? I am going to buy a new pare of drop in axles made for my dart. Just wondering if any one makes drums with the bigger hole pattern?

Thanks!!

I went with 10x2 1/2 inch brakes and Moser axels when I fist did the 8 3/4 swap.I used b.plates from a 89 Dakota(with small modifications).Parts are more acessable from the 88-89 Dakotas.Good luck.

Please excuse my ignorance,
But offset deferent? What is deferent? I am going to buy a new pare of drop in axles made for my dart. Just wondering if any one makes drums with the bigger hole pattern?

Thanks!!

The stock A Body 8.75" brakes are 1.75" wide.. If you buy axles and try to use the drums from a later car with 2.5" wide brakes, the drum will hit the backing plate. The backing plate for the 2.5" brakes is "offset" or "cupped" more towards the center of the car to allow for the wider brake shoes to still be centered the same.

I find it easiest to grab a whole unit off of the back of each side of a donor car, and start from there. That way you have the backing plates, maybe drums that you can have turned, and all of the other hardware, some of which is no longer available new.

The stock A Body 8.75" brakes are 1.75" wide.. If you buy axles and try to use the drums from a later car with 2.5" wide brakes, the drum will hit the backing plate. The backing plate for the 2.5" brakes is "offset" or "cupped" more towards the center of the car to allow for the wider brake shoes to still be centered the same.

I find it easiest to grab a whole unit off of the back of each side of a donor car, and start from there. That way you have the backing plates, maybe drums that you can have turned, and all of the other hardware, some of which is no longer available new.

Thanks!
Makes sense to me now. I have two late 70's cars I can get break assembles off of.

I wonder if I will have a breaking imbalance problem as I still have the factory front drum breaks. I do plan on changing over to disk breaks at some time, but not in the budget right now.

Moser Engineering sells stock replacement axles with large bolt pattern that work with small drum brakes. better off getting the bigger brakes if you already have some to use. I just went through this with my car.

Dr. Diff sells axles that will fit any drum brake, large bolt pattern.
I used the 2.5" everything from a stock 74 7.25.
7.25 are cheap to free.
No motifications needed.

-
Back