Big Brother at FCA?

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
Strange..... my 2016 2500 CTD told me this afternoon that is wanted to do a SW update. So I started it this evening after today's work trip; I assume it has to be coming via satellite link. Then it occurred to me that the truck had rolled over 36,000 miles in the middle leg of today's trip, and the message first popped up after that leg.

So.... is FCA downloading the truck data related to warranty? I have an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty to 100k miles, and I wonder if this is part of that..... very odd.

Strange..... my 2016 2500 CTD told me this afternoon that is wanted to do a SW update. So I started it this evening after today's work trip; I assume it has to be coming via satellite link. Then it occurred to me that the truck had rolled over 36,000 miles in the middle leg of today's trip, and the message first popped up after that leg.

So.... is FCA downloading the truck data related to warranty? I have an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty to 100k miles, and I wonder if this is part of that..... very odd.
Probably just a notification via link, that updated/improved software has been created for Your ride, which would/should be covered under the warranty. If it is emissions or
safety recall related, You would still receive a letter to that effect, but driveability/shift/durability improvements may only come via msg. Certainly if they feel it will extend
the life of the drivetrain they want You to bring it in & have it performed. If it is satellite/com/tele software, well it may do that on it's own,lol! It may be needed, like when
I had to give up My wonderful, simple 2G cell because they phased 2G out....no 3G...no service.

The Uconnect system updates over the air. Not sure that anything else does yet. With the new computer system FCa used the dealers are able to issue some soft wear updates over air without pulling the car in the bay but I am not sure if it can be done at further distance.

Thanks for the notes, gys. The initial message did mention the UConnect system os it just may be that. It just was really odd that it wanted to do it right after the vehicle rolled past the initial warranty period....Truck is driving and operating the the same today as yesterday so at least it was not a botched firmware upgrade!

How about a pre-programmed trigger that makes a connection to the mother ship at 36k miles to check if there are any updates?

The mileage was just a coincidence.
Had 4 or 5 cars on the lot do the same thing in the past week.
It's just a software update for the radio and nav system. Mostly the nav system.
You'll Keep getting them over time as long as FCA is supporting the tech.

Hmmmm, it's only a matter of time before Uconnect turns into, Uconnectorelse.....................mothership??? I think nm9s being uploaded there now, forgot the foil again......

Nothing new.

My '89 used to trip a maintenance light every so many miles to have it taken to the dealership for emissions inspection (hoses, charcoal canister, purge, etc). Now it's done via the Cloud, instead of built in software.

Nothing new.

My '89 used to trip a maintenance light every so many miles to have it taken to the dealership for emissions inspection (hoses, charcoal canister, purge, etc). Now it's done via the Cloud, instead of built in software.
Let you in on a little secret, from 87 to 89 there was a 9V battery located between the speedo and fuel gauge. It powered a counter that would set the Maint Req light off. We would bring the trucks in, hook them up to a DRBII, check things out and replace the battery. The light would also go off if the battery died.
The mopar 9v battery's were $10 each then, and they were just Ray-o-vacs. We bought Duracells and charged a couple bucks each. They would last a lot longer.

Let you in on a little secret, from 87 to 89 there was a 9V battery located between the speedo and fuel gauge. It powered a counter that would set the Maint Req light off. We would bring the trucks in, hook them up to a DRBII, check things out and replace the battery. The light would also go off if the battery died.
The mopar 9v battery's were $10 each then, and they were just Ray-o-vacs. We bought Duracells and charged a couple bucks each. They would last a lot longer.

I just had a friend reset it with his Snap-Op brick. The truck died long before I worried about it again.

My point is still the same: it's been a "thing" long before cellular towers and satellites.

-
Back