Big issues with BB mounts on Dart!

-

1970dartcustom

of the Moore clan
Reaction score
SO motor is all together and ready to drop in,

we got the polylocs and the /6 conversion mounts to BB,

We put everything in exactly right,

and the whole motor is leaning extremely to the passenger side!!!!

Look at pics and tell me what the heck???

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor3.jpg

motor4.jpg

motor5.jpg

motor6.jpg

motor7.jpg

conversion is the key word, it is not unusual to shim one side to level.

conversion is the key word, it is not unusual to shim one side to level.
No, its beyond shimming, it is a lot!

I spoke with mr. schumaker himself just now and besides being pretty rude, he said maybe we need a completely different width of polyloc on the passenger side... IDK super down about it...

Last edited:
I can't tell in the picture, but did you notch the k frame for oil pump clearance?

Sorry to say that I had the very same issue on my Demon. I did manage to cut and grind the K member until it sat correctly. But I just hated it so I went to a motor plate.
I agree that there is some sort of issue with the mounts.

Ted

Is there a possibility you got the mounts switched side to side?

Possibly a dumb question, but are you sure you have the right mounts for the correct year block and K Frame? There are different mounts for 73 and up blocks, so it may be possible that either you have a 73 and up block, or maybe they sent you the mount for a 73 and up block packaged as the 67-72 version. I have a set of /6 to BB for the 67-72 at home I can take some pics of if you need them to compare.

I'm assuming you used the bolts that came with the mounts on the block side of the bracket. There is supposed to be some movement in those to allow the brackets some adjustment to the block, they don't get tightened up til you have the engine positioned where you want. When you installed the engine did you drop it in maybe passenger side first then try to roll the drivers in? May try getting drivers in position first. Just some thoughts.

Possibly a dumb question, but are you sure you have the right mounts for the correct year block and K Frame? There are different mounts for 73 and up blocks, so it may be possible that either you have a 73 and up block, or maybe they sent you the mount for a 73 and up block packaged as the 67-72 version. I have a set of /6 to BB for the 67-72 at home I can take some pics of if you need them to compare.
while you are correct partially, the 73 and up are spool mounts, not blocks, theres no way the 73 mounts would even bolt to the 72 and older K frame.

Can someone explain the notching? Im doing the same build and hadnt heard of it also plan on using the 187. Thanks also will the torque strap fix it? To pull maybe?

Can someone explain the notching? Big block mopars have external oil pumps, the K frames on small block and slant 6s will have to be notched or cut and rewelded to clear the pump.
Im doing the same build and hadnt heard of it also plan on using the 187. Thanks also will the torque strap fix it? torque strap has nothing to do with the notching needed, it only helps to limit or eliminate the rotational force of the engine to prevent ripping the motor mounts out on high horsepower motors. To pull maybe?
My answers in red

Where do you notch for the pump? i know about the motor mount cuts and welds. Also since im building my 383 to a bit over stock, will i need the strap??

There's a template included in the instructions from schumacher with the extra locations.

A mild 383 will be somewhere around 400 425, I highly doubt you'd need a torque strap with it.

Your k-member is too glossy to see the mount pads in those pics so it would be hard to venture a guess. The year of the block will not make a difference at all. It could be the mounts on the wrong sides...

I used their product and had no issues something is wrong, is the mount notched enough
SO motor is all together and ready to drop in,

we got the polylocs and the /6 conversion mounts to BB,

We put everything in exactly right,

and the whole motor is leaning extremely to the passenger side!!!!

Look at pics and tell me what the heck???

View attachment 1714935152

View attachment 1714935153

View attachment 1714935154

View attachment 1714935155

View attachment 1714935156

View attachment 1714935157

View attachment 1714935158

I have a 73, i read the instructions and it doesn't say anything about notching. Are the 72 and 73 k different?
Well if it's a 73 it should have the spool mounts. Unless somebody changed the k member to the older one?

Also it's starting to look like you need to find out which k member you have. Here is some good info showing how to check.

K-Member ID Chart

Its the slant k, i know about drilling n cutting the driver side i just didn't know about the notch and after i read the 73 slant to bb I didn't see anything about the notch like the 72 n down

-
Back