Big starter problem with TTI Headers

-

65SignetSweden

Reaction score
I `ve been waiting for a Powermaster Pwm-9543 to go with my tti headers. I ordered it from summit racing and now almost 2 months later I got an email that says the starter no longer are available from Powermaster. Is there another starter I can use instead? And I can confirm that the Mopar ministarter does NOT fit with TTI headers in a early abody. Please help!

you may want to call TTI and ask the brilliant minds that designed the headders that need that special starter.

I agree with Joe, why would a header company not design their headers around the stock starter or at least the smallest of the stock starters so they would not subject themselves to some other companies part being available to sell your own part?

About the only thing now to do is buy the stater used on ebay and hope it never dies or purchase new headers.

Chuck

I agree with Joe, why would a header company not design their headers around the stock starter or at least the smallest of the stock starters so they would not subject themselves to some other companies part being available to sell your own part?

About the only thing now to do is buy the stater used on ebay and hope it never dies or purchase new headers.

Chuck

I guess it was to easy for them to make it work with a stock starter:lol: I think I just gona modify the mopar ministarter with a new milled clockable front plate.

Yeah my biggest complaint with my TTI'S on my Dart were the dang starter getting shoe horned in to fit. I agree with you guys totally. TTI for the money should be able to come up with a better shape of these headers to allow at minimum the factory starter. I mean come on...I'm sure the technology existes to be able to do this. Especially with all the computer work and high tech measuring devices there are out there.

One of the reason that Rickey and I have decided to build the headers for his car. Yea I know its a lot of work but its just another piece of the car that we can say we built.
We did get a set of Maddog headers but there were other clearance issues so instead of doing a refund..I asked Mark if he would send us all the parts and pieces to make our own. When the box showed up...there is tons of tubing.
Anyway I didnt like the idea of having to remove the header to get at the starter...that sucks..

Rick and Rickey Jr.

you can always write into Mopar Muscle and ask them.. they did an article months ago about installing the early abody tti's.. oh thats right. those clowns forgot to mention that in the article in their rush to get it to print.......

I `ve been waiting for a Powermaster Pwm-9543 to go with my tti headers. I ordered it from summit racing and now almost 2 months later I got an email that says the starter no longer are available from Powermaster. Is there another starter I can use instead? And I can confirm that the Mopar ministarter does NOT fit with TTI headers in a early abody. Please help!

Did you call TTI to see if they had a starter in stock?

I didnt called TTI. I will contact them tomorrow and ask.Hope tti ship to Sweden. Would`nt be surprised that the shipping cost is greater then the starter = The worlds most expensive starter :lol:

TTi drove me crazy too. Not only did the headers not fit the 6.1 hemi I have, I also had starter issues. Of course, it was never their fault. And they would not even let me return them without paying for new ceramic coating and re-stocking fee.I ended up cutting them up and re-welding them to fit. So much for a $700 pair of headers and good customer service.

I'm not sure this will help but here goes. I don't have the catalog in front of me,but the guy I was walking around with had a Powermaster starter on back order for quite some time for a mopar. At the PRI show the guy from powermaster said they had just finished a big run of starters. That would have been Friday the 7th. Like I said not sure if this helps or not.

There was a guy called kcmcuda on big block dart that ran a regular mini starter on his 64 dart with a blown 340 and when I asked him what starter he had this was his reply:
"It does have the standard mini starter but I had to grind about an 1/8 inch off of the casting on one side to get clearance for the headers, no biggy."

Can somebody confirm or deny that it's the only the automatics that need the powermaster and that the manual transmission can use the mini-starter.

I have the powermaster starter from tti. Part # 636A-9543. It was $230 when I got it. It is the clocked version but the plate was milled to clearance the everything.
47b7d910b3127cceb97e1628cb2700000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

Can somebody confirm or deny that it's the only the automatics that need the powermaster and that the manual transmission can use the mini-starter.

I got lakewood bellhousing and the mopar mini starter will NOT fit. You gonna have to try to clock the starter. I will look in to it this weekend and snap some photos.

As you can see, the starter dos not fit at all :grin: I had to cut the top ear off and weld on some new ones and mill the surface. Then I just had to mark and drill the holes. Here`s some more pictures.

14-12-07_1809.jpg

14-12-07_1915.jpg

17-12-07_0525.jpg

19-12-07_1724.jpg

19-12-07_1756.jpg

Man great pics and how to 65signetsweden! This may save people some money that can do this themselves.
The problem would be if your starter craps in nowhere land you could be scwered unless you own a stick car.

Man great pics and how to 65signetsweden! This may save people some money that can do this themselves.
The problem would be if your starter craps in nowhere land you could be scwered unless you own a stick car.

I agree nice work.

If his starter died all he needs to carry is the tools to change the nose from his to the new one.

Chuck

Has there been anybody else that is stuck without the ability to get one of the power master starters? Any updates on this issue?

So let me get this straight.

If I bought TTI headers for my car I would have to have a mini starter?

273, 4 speed manual transmission, A body of course.

I went to the TTI page after reading this thread and found this..

• Clears the Stock starter or Chrysler High Torque mini starters
(Mini Starters part no’s: R53005984, P5249644AB, 56027702AC, P5007860 or P4286522)
• Mini starters can easily be changed without removing the header

Why do they say that it clears the stock starter and from reading this thread it doesn't?

This thread is in the early A body section. It only affects 66 and earlier a bodies.

No need to be worried about TTI's in your car mullanix. :thumrigh:

-
Back