• 17 in

Votes: 70 43.5%
  • 18 in

Votes: 37 23.0%
  • 20 in

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
-
Att'n. pro-tour wheel owners; 14" and 15" wheels are garbage, as are adjacent hubcaps, center caps and trim rings. Partial government shut downs... Cash for clunkers... Don't become a victim of the Dead Tire Supply Act. The government can't help you. This one weird, old trick can, and I'll tell you how. I pay top dollar for steel. Please send your garbage. PM for details on removal. Thank you. Dave
lol I love it

I think this is sick!
1966DodgeCharger_zps07d86759.jpg

It's all in how it all looks. 20's can look great, or like donks. 17's are the same. It's all in the proportion and style. Many very tastefully done big wheels, some not so much.

I have a 3 trucks and an SUV with 17's, another truck and a van with 16's, and the DD has 14's.

All are stock rim sizes.

13 maybe hard to find ... 14's maybe limited ... 15's will be around ... i agree that aftermarket like Cocker may contract out companies to build the tires ... dosen't some of cokers redlines have same tread pattern as TA's?
I also think that muscle cars with factory 14 inch tires .. look better with 15 inch tires .

This topic is one of the few that actually drives me a little crazy. This is my peace. Saying that big wheels look ghetto, ridiculous, etc... followed by a picture of some crazy car with 28" rims that have no reasoning behind them other than Bling factor, is ridiculous in itself. I don't see anyone referencing a picture like the one below when stating big wheels are ugly. Why? Because this car looks bad *** with 20" out back and 18" up front. We also know its' potential for handling is greatly increased. Like anything els, its all about the quality and finished product. The car below would look terrible with those rims if it were raised 6" front and rear. Its cool if you dig smaller wheels. Thats your opinion. Trying to make it sound so matter a fact is a little much. There is a reason most concept cars, both conceptual drawings and models, tend to have larger wheels on them. They look better. Its all about aesthetic balance. Just like any painting, sculpture or building. This is a design basic. Certain proportions are proven to be more appealing to humans. Designers are highly aware of what is pleasing to the eye. Its their job. Its much more scientific than most might think. Obviously my preference is for bigger rims, but I can appreciate a classic 14" or 15". I'm not gonna run around and say they look like **** and they are for old geezers. Really? Thats what it sounds like when you say they are ghetto, etc, etc.... If you think big wheels never look good on classics or custom hotrods, do a quick Google image search for Ridler Award Winners. You will be hard pressed to find a car with something less than 18". There is a reason for that too. My 2cents. LOL

Perspective. Its that simple.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 259
Thank you!
This topic is one of the few that actually drives me a little crazy. This is my peace. Saying that big wheels look ghetto, ridiculous, etc... followed by a picture of some crazy car with 28" rims that have no reasoning behind them other than Bling factor, is ridiculous in itself. I don't see anyone referencing a picture like the one below when stating big wheels are ugly. Why? Because this car looks bad *** with 20" out back and 18" up front. We also know its' potential for handling is greatly increased. Like anything els, its all about the quality and finished product. The car below would look terrible with those rims if it were raised 6" front and rear. Its cool if you dig smaller wheels. Thats yoyur opinion. Trying to make it sound so matter a fact is a little much. There is a reason most concept cars, both conceptual drawings and models, tend to have larger wheels on them. They look better. Its all about aesthetic balance. Just like any painting, sculpture or building. This is a design basic. Certain proportions are proven to be more appealing to humans. Designers are highly aware of what is pleasing to the eye. Its their job. Its much more scientific than most might think. Obviously my preference is for bigger rims, but I can appreciate a classic 14" or 15". I'm not gonna run around and say they look like **** and they are for old geezers. Really? Thats what it sounds like when you say they are ghetto, etc, etc.... If you think big wheels never look good on classics or custom hotrods, do a quick Google image search for Ridler Award Winners. You will be hard pressed to find a car with something less than 18". There is a reason for that too. My 2cents. LOL

Perspective. Its that simple.

Well 16's don't look bad on a A body. These are 255/50ZRx16"

Attachments

• 66Cuda.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF4316.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 222
If I ever have to go 16, I'm sure I can find some that look good on each car, but until I'm forced, 15 is my limit. Bigger wheels can look good on older cars if matched well and if you're going for a more modern look, but I like the classic look.

That said, the 14" tires I have on my 72 are probably the last 14's I'll buy. They will go on the GTS, then once worn out or too old, I'll probably replace everything with 15's from then on. Just too hard to find decent and affordable 14" tires in a good size now. The bigger issue is SBP on the '68, but I'll deal with that one day if I need to.

Well 16's don't look bad on a A body. These are 255/50ZRx16"

These 16's look great. They look so good because, IMO, the lower body is painted black. The smaller rims result in more side wall and blend well with the black paint. Good balance. If the entire body was painted the upper color, I wouldn't be a fan of the 16's. This car is an excellent example of "Everything has its place."

Attachments

• 66Cuda.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCF4316.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 203
What does everyone think of bigger wheels on our classic cars?
I ask since I have heard they are planning to do away with 13,14,15 in tires,which doesn't do well for a daily driver.

Companies like coker tire will still sell popular performance 14" and 15" tires. They even started to bring back the old goodyear gatorbacks.

I want my cuda to handle well and use modern rubber so i plan on purchasing 17" steelies from wheel vintiques, painting em body color, and snapping on a set of plymouth dog dishes to em. Its not a restoration so i feel its ok for this.

I think the larger 16, 17, and even some 18" wheels look good. I think its all in the style of the wheel, and stance of the car.

I'm sure everybody here could agree the shackles and air shocks stinkbug stance, *** end way up in the air with N50-15 fatties on cragar S/S wheels, and bondoed fender flares because they stick out past the fenders looks stoopid. Yeah this was popular in the 70s.

Id take a tastefully done mopar with minitubs and some tasty 17" rocket fuel or thrust wheels tucked neatly inside the fenderwells with wide rubber. the fat cragar stinkbug look needs to stay in the 70s along with bell bottoms, disco, and butterfly collars.

What does everyone think of bigger wheels on our classic cars?
I ask since I have heard they are planning to do away with 13,14,15 in tires,which doesn't do well for a daily driver.

Proportionately wheel size depends on the car.
I think A bodies look fine with 15" and even some 16" wheels.
B's looking good with 15's, 16's, and some 17" wheels (on station wagons).
C bodies, especially station wagons, can easily make a 17" of even an 18" wheel look good, as long as it's tastefully done.

I also think that Ram trucks with 20's (factory available) look great.

Saying that this size or that size is out of the question is being pretty closed minded. It really depends on the application.

On my 71 Dart I used to run 13 x 4.5" in the front and 15 x 7.5" on the back, back in the day, and it looked great. It sat pretty high, too, and had a "gasser" look. Today it would look rather silly on the street, not to mention that handling sucked. lol
Today it has 15" Torque Thrust D's all around. They fit the car wonderfully, and they augment it's era.

Saying that this size or that size is out of the question is being pretty closed minded. It really depends on the application.

Well said. It's about the total finished package and purpose of the build.

nascar wheels steel, 15 x 9.5
:batman:

goodyear rubber 28x12x15

formula1
front 270/55 R13
rear 325/45 R13

I guess if they stop making 13 - 15's then nascar and formula1 will have to cancel their seasons

They aren't going to stop making race tires. They'll still make niche tires.

Summit racing sell about 1,400 varieties of 15" tires. 283 14" and 74 13"

I don't think anyone here is running NASCAR Tires or INDY 500 Tires on their daily driver A body.

IIRC, the NASCAR tire is, in regular numbers, a 305/50-15.

Meanwhile, I just can't find the tires I want (235/70VR15) for my Caddy. They're just not there anymore...once I wear out my last set of CHP Eagles, I'll probably need to get 17" wheels. :(

Well considering what they charge for 13".tires now if you can even find them is insane. I've always said pick a cool wheel timeless infact if I were to park my car in 20 years would they still look cool? With 15's yes bigger stuff idk

Proportionately wheel size depends on the car.
I think A bodies look fine with 15" and even some 16" wheels.
B's looking good with 15's, 16's, and some 17" wheels (on station wagons).
C bodies, especially station wagons, can easily make a 17" of even an 18" wheel look good, as long as it's tastefully done.

I also think that Ram trucks with 20's (factory available) look great.

On my 71 Dart I used to run 13 x 4.5" in the front and 15 x 7.5" on the back, back in the day, and it looked great. It sat pretty high, too, and had a "gasser" look. Today it would look rather silly on the street, not to mention that handling sucked. lol
Today it has 15" Torque Thrust D's all around. They fit the car wonderfully, and they augment it's era.
Frank,got a picture?...

The late model cars,set the motif. 245/45-40 series /17 's,are popular with the Mustang crowd. Depends on the car & the taste of the owner. That's loose,so is car customizing....

Ok we all disagree on big hoops and little hoops. I like the standard 15" ,wheel , but also like bigger sizes up to 17" and 18" provided the wheels are tasteful, and of a correct offset and the car has the right stance.

Now i have seen some ghetto **** running around my neck o the woods. How about a ford expedition with 27" wheels with gum band tires. These chrome wheels looked like wagon wheels. Pretty funny.

Or the rims i like the least. The flat black KMC Rockstars with the chrome star medallions in the center caps. I see em on pickups, suvs, duallies. Its the homeboy wheel for rednecks. If i ever bought a used truck with these uglies id tell the sales guy nice truck but i dont want it till you swap out the homeboy wheels.

Tough to say this isn't bad ***...

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 129
I personally like the big wheel look...I have chosen 17 inch all the way around...I have 17x7 in the front on 205 tires and on the rear I have 17x8 on 275 M&H RACEMASTERS

I will be putting different wheels on soon and will be going with 17 inch again...I personally don't think the BIG wheel takes away from the classic stance if done right....people look twice to see that I have 17 inch on my car and don't say a bad word about it..it fills the wheel well up a little more as well

:burnout:Wayne

Attachments

• 996010_3344764113886_1208595100_n.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 123
-
Back