• 20 in

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think of bigger wheels on our classic cars?
I ask since I have heard they are planning to do away with 13,14,15 in tires,which doesn't do well for a daily driver.

I dont like the look, but hey, Im 43 and white....
garfield_box_1.jpg
4665662198_9fc1d38ebd.jpg

I don't like them at all, and the bigger they are the worse they look. If the day comes when they stop making 15s (which I find very doubtful anytime soon) then I would go to 16s if I had to. I don't think you'll see 15s disappear though. Too many cars on the road still ruunning them - and Coker or someone will always offer some I bet.
By the way what's the poll question????

What does everyone think of bigger wheels on our classic cars?
I ask since I have heard they are planning to do away with 13,14,15 in tires,which doesn't do well for a daily driver.

I doubt they will in the near future, there are too many cars that still run 15" and under tires and the tire companys would loose millions if they did. I could see 13's going soon but thats about it

So are some 14's will go away I had to look really hard in NC for some 14 in tires

Here is my opinion. If you are restoring a car back to original then yeah, stick with the original sizes. If you dont really care for "originality" like me, then go with a 17 or 18 inch wheel. I have 18" wheels on my swinger and they look right on my car, and I like em. If I had anything smaller than a 17" it would look stupid. I went for a more modern look vs a classic look. I also like the handling. When you get rid of all that sidewall flex it changes how the car handles tremendously. Some people prefer old school, I prefer new school. To each their own.

Pishta, stop stealing "my favorite" photo to post, !!HA!!

garfield_box_1.jpg

16's, maybe, 17's, seldom, anything larger NEVER

hummer-h3-with-wagon-wheels.jpg

mufp070338zwcarsfromsem.jpg

attachment.php

I'm 59 and white - but that has nothing to do with it!! Period style wheels for a restoration or daily driver!!! I have seen a couple of restomods with 16" and 17' wheels I didn't find TOO offensive, but my choice for my 66 Cudas and Signet would be Crager SS, Rallies or the Formula S exposed lug 14" hubcaps. I know one Chrysler collector who gets pissed if the car doesn't have what it came from the factory with!!! Now that's a PURIST!!!!!!!

wow where do i begin...hmmm welll, IMO, 15 inch wheels have always been the way to go, i have 15x10 slots ,steels,centerlines,cragars, and various matching front rims all of the 15 inch variety and i would not use any thing else. i think 16s are ok if they are a good looking style. any thing over that is just plain ridiculas and downright GAF and a waste of money . i cannot believe these people have nothing better to waste their money on . it just looks stupid as ---- and i cant stand to look and i wont. so , with that said, i gotta go outside and bolt on set of centerlines on my duster ...

Attachments

• d21.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,119
  • d23.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,136
  • a303.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,133
  • gay.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,098
17 max for me on the valiant. I went to discount to look up 14 inch wheels and tires. 200 were for trailers.

I wouldn't go any larger than 17's. I like the tire choices better in the 16 an 17 inch sizes.

With the way the car industry is today you'll find that the greatest/biggest tire selection is the 18" rim. I will be using 18's on my Duster. I vote for 18's

Myself,my musclecars will have 15s.Grew up on late model mustangs,17s sure handle nice.They keep making replacement blocks,heads.Tires will eventually follow.

I drive my Doba every day so I will go to bigger wheels and tires but no more than 18 in wheels and tires

I agree with the notion that the bigger tires have less sidewall + less flex=better handling. No bigger than 15's for me. They just look right,(My opinion of course). Most of my rides end up with 15 x 60's (and gas shocks) which is a vast improvement. By the way, Has anyone priced 15's vs. 17 or 18's, ...you won't like the price diff.

I agree with the notion that the bigger tires have less sidewall + less flex=better handling. No bigger than 15's for me. They just look right. Most of my rides end up with 15 x 60's which is a vast improvement Strictly my opinion of course, . By the way, Has anyone priced 15's vs. 17 or 18's, ...you won't like the price diff.

I don't like the price difference,but Cocker tire is high for a daily driven car.

I personally don't like to run big rims on my cars, I prefer the biggest tire i can fit. But I do see some nice old cars with bigger rims. It doesn't always look good though. there is a lot of thought that needs to go into it to make them look good on the car IMHO. plenty of big rimmed cars here that look great.

But In the end its the owners thought that is all that matters!:finga:

ok heres how i see it going . If they stop making them iI WILL QUIT driving my rides sell them all . Go buy some jap car with a fart can and some 18s with a big wing !!!! Now come back from la la land ! That never going to happen .What i will do is find some nice looking 16s if ther is such a thing !! and put them on my barracuda . Intell then its 14s but im not sure what im running yet so theres what i think ...-

ok heres how i see it going . If they stop making them iI WILL QUIT driving my rides sell them all . Go buy some jap car with a fart can and some 18s with a big wing !!!! Now come back from la la land ! That never going to happen .What i will do is find some nice looking 16s if ther is such a thing !! and put them on my barracuda . Intell then its 14s but im not sure what im running yet so theres what i think ...-

DD it happened in several places it will happen. There is more money to be had in bigger tires.

I don't like low profile tires on the street, they don't take the bumps as well. Yet 35--50 series tires are so in on new cars and trucks, dumb I feel.

I was at a bus station last summer waiting for my bus to leave and was looking at those tires, heck they got 33 inch wheels, lol but 85 series sidewalls--no low profile tires on any buses, I wounder why?

16 inch wheels could look good, who cares how the cars were when new, not me. Look at the 1930-40 cars, they had 19 inch wheels

-
Back