• 17 in

Votes: 70 43.5%
  • 18 in

Votes: 37 23.0%
  • 20 in

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
-
Go ahead and sling the queeny qoos on it.

For a DD, 15" w/ 60 series tires as a minimum.
225/60 R 16 are on 2 of my cars and work well, nice ride and control
235/60 R 17 on family SUV
max I've seen on an old Mopar that look good (not like a rubber band stretched over some metal) is 18", but that is just my opinion

I'm all about weight shaving since the married life has become all about weight gaining. Lol I'm gonna run a set of 16's that weigh a fraction of what the steelies do. Probably a 225/45/16 Nitto NT555 tires

I can't vote on the poll because there is not a "None Of The Above" option. I refuse to go bigger than 15 inch. If I am forced to it will be bye bye collector car.

There was a time that the 14s went away but they reappeared and they may go away again. I can't see the 15s going away for a while. There are just too many mini vans, pick ups and regular vans that are still running on the road. Mopar was still using 15s on their mini vans as late as 2007. Honda is still running 15s on their 2011 Civics. Ford Ranger still had 15s in 2009 and 14s in 2008. Chevrolet S10 used 15s as late as 2005.

Depends on the car, I like 15's, 16's... even 17's? But on a classic I think the 18's & 19's (and larger) start to detract from the look of the car. JMO

because of the performance driving i like to do, and the suspension mods i have set up for my car, 17's are by far my favorite wheel on a classic muscle car. there are many popular performance tires that fit a 17inch wheel. :)

no bigger than 17's though, at first it took me a while to like them, but now i think they are great...

16-18. Really any larger and it just starts to look stupid. I would seriously debate putting 20s on my caprice and even that has wheel wells that look right for that size, it just would be either a hit or miss. I've seen good looking 20s on them and hideous ones too. Mostly blades, which are the most retarded wheel man ever thought up. When I get the money, I'll be going to 17x8s all the way around, because they fill up the wheel wells just the right amount and still have enough sidewall to give a good ride. Now, the 15s do look good, but I'd prefer something bigger. The caprice, I'd love do a set of 18x10 rocket racing boosters gun metal grey. That would be perfect. Understated and classy at the same time. The way the tire sits in the well can be called the 3 finger rule. the gap between the tire and fender is larger than 3 fingers it's too high and just looks weird, same goes for less than 3 fingers. That's why I can't stand the 14s. They are just too small for the wheel well, it looks like the car is driving on nickels, but 245/60 15s look just right. As long as the overall diameter doesn't change much I should be able to fit a nice wide set of 17s in there no problem.

Here in Australia 13's and 14's are trailer wheels and have limited sizes available with the quality of tyre you can buy that is all I would use them for! 15's are ok but again tyre choice is limited. 16's are just off the planet price wise, 17's are cheap and lots of choice of quality and still have a good side wall size. 18's are the biggest I would use as I like the modern look on a classic that is modified. 20 and over are for the kids I think, too big, cheesy and tacky, just how they like them!!

i like 17 and 18" wheels... personally i think especially 14 inch and a lot of 15 inch wheels look silly on these big old cars... anything over 18" is too big though..

I saw a set of 28s on a car the other day and thought they looked hideous, and they were on a H2! If you are driving on a prepared race course, then maybe you should go with a tire/wheel combo with no sidewall, but on the street you need to have some sidewall to flex and protect the rim! I also don't like combos that are a lot bigger overall than stock unless you are building a "monster truck" "rock crawler" or a "bogger", but if you are then keep them off the street because they will be less stable in normal driving maneuvers.

just my opinion

I'm old school, 15'' max for me or i sell all of my cars off.
I don't believe that they will ever get rid of 13'', 14'', and 15'' performance tires anyway, just the sizes will be limited.
Heck, you can still get tires for model ''a'' Fords, just not from your local Wal-Mart.
I would definitely get 'em from Coker if that's what it took.
I hate the looks of anything bigger than 15'' on old muscle cars anyway.
But then again, i'm old school like i said before!
Just my .02 cents.

I say to each there own. define big wheels and tires? We have put 22/20 staggers on 59 Impalas that are tucked under the car and look killer. How ever to put big wheels on a car and make it look right is another story in it self. Just to slap a set on a car and have the 4x4 stance looks terrible. are set up for the wheel and tire combo of your choice looks great. just my 02. My 65 dart will be a Pro -Touring car and will have 18x9 rearand 18x8 front. Just to my liking.

I have 17" factory chrome wheels with 235/40-ZR17 Eagle F1's on my 95 BMW M-3 - they ride and corner like a dream - but avoiding potholes in PA is IMPOSSIBLE - so you get your teeth jarred quite often. This car was engineered for this tire/rim combo and you will not get anything bigger under it without a lift kit and that would defeat the purpose of it sitting only 4" off the ground - CORNERING. The wheel/tire size was also considered in the styling of the car and fills the wheel wells perfectly and looks great. Since this is a classic and has reached collector car statis, I will never change from the factory specs. I also have 20" Pirelli Scorpions on my 2010 F-150 King Ranch. I also had them on a 2006 King Ranch. They handle great and give reasonable mileage for a performance tire on a big truck. Price wise - I paid $119.00 each mounted, balanced and installed at a local tire shop. That was the price Tire Rack wanted per tire w/o shipping. There are good deals out there if you do your homework. It goes back to what the engineers and designers spec for a vehicle to perform and look good. Low profile skins on big wheels have their place - I agree that if you are conservative and choose a well styled wheel, slightly larger upgrades can look OK. Nostalgia wheel is producing some of the old school wheels in the larger sizes and Diamond Back and Coker are producing redlines and wide whites to fit em!!!!

Yea i think anything bigger than a 15 inch looks stupid, also tirerack has any size 14 you want, Glad to see there are so many big wheel haters here, Now if we could just get some more toyota haters here we'd have a better site JOE

looks are one thing, handling and control is another. I lost control of that 70 Cutlass yes cause i went too fast around the curve but partly also cause 14 inch tires suck when it comes to traction. The smaller the tire the less contact it has with the ground. Taller tires have a larger patch of rubber on the ground. They also don't hit the potholes as hard.

Main reason i went with 15 inch steel cop rims was price and strength. I agree there are better things to buy then fancy 17--18 inch wheels but if cost wasn't a problem my 15 inchers would be gone...and nope, i would not buy a newer car or a newer engine, wheels/tires yes

I'm old, but not old school. I built my car to go, turn, and stop better than ma ever made it. why would I limit that ability with wheel sizes for a sixties car? I'm running 17s now and plan to go to 18s when money allows.
i'm voting 18s

I think the less axle housing you can see from the pumpkin to the inner side wall the better.

Attachments

• DSC00024.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC00026.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 274
I have an 06 charger with the daytona package and 18" wheels that fill the wheel well nicely(srt8's have 20").I was looking at my 2500 ram with 285-75-16 tires on 16x10 wheels so I measured the height,well they are the same height.Since the wheel well is so big on the charger the big wheel tire combo looks normal but and a small wheel well like my dart 14" is stock and 15" would be as big as I would go.It's one thing to fill the wells and another to "ghetto" it out.BTW 22" look redicilous on the new chargers.I didn't vote because stock wasn't an option.

-
Back