Bigger A-904/'68 Valiant Transmission Filter Replacement?

-

SincerePuppet

Reaction score
Posted a while back about getting the right trans fluid but due to a whole lot life things getting in the way, I'm only just now getting around to doing the work. Ran into yet another potential problem today though, my replacement filter is slightly bigger than the stock one.

Is this an issue? Seems to be no problem with the clearance/fit of it in the trans itself and I don't see why it would be, but figured I'd ask before putting the trans cover back on and filling her up with new fluid.

Attached are pictures of the original and the replacement (might not help much, but hopefully you get an idea of the size difference). Hope you all don't mind the newbie question. Cheers.

Old filter:
IMG_0196.JPEG

Replacement:
IMG_0200.JPEG

Last edited:
Ok, if the replacement has two holes..
lol nope it's only got one of course. Thankfully I only put the pan gasket on and haven't put any oil in it yet. how screwed am i?

this isn't mine, but it's about the closest thing to what mine looks like that I could find online quickly
contentinfo.autozone.jpg

Just cut it with a razor blade.
This might be a dumb question but is just cutting it really good enough? I'm not 100% sure since my filter's currently inside the transmission but looking at some other filters online some of them look like they might be reinforced in some way.
Just asking cause I don't wanna go through the whole process of redoing everything just for that to cause issues down the line, leading me to have to do it for a third time with a proper two hole filter, if that makes sense.

From 1966 on the large filter was the one used in both the 904 and 727. The smaller filter and the small brass filter are listed as being useable from 1960 on.

@SincerePuppet did you get the answer you were looking for? Curious to hear.

Having just gone through this with my 64 A904 (dual pump version....therefore two large holes in the filter).

Motors gives what I believe to be a good breakdown on the evolution of the 904 various models by model year and engine from the original A-904 through the LA, A, G etc...

Hope it went well for you.

-
Back