biggest tire for my Valliant

-

vallianted

Reaction score
Hey all.what's the biggest tire I can put on the back of my 65 Valliant.I have stock ralleys 14 by 6 with a 4 inch bs.
Ted

A 235/60 would probably fit your wheel well, but would be a tight fit on a 6" wide wheel- a 225/60 would be more in line for that size wheel.
The determining factor is more likely what size is still available in a performance tire for 14" wheels- there ain't many.

I have run a 235/60 x 14 tire on the back of my 65 Barracuda, and it did fit, but I agree with the Professor that a 235 is a tad wide for a stock 14 inch ralley wheel (really 14 x 5.5, not 14 x 6). Still, I never had any problem with that setup except when I had a couple of passengers in the back seat and then it would rub slightly on turns.

Now run 15 x 7 SBP Cragars with 225/60 R 15s. They have more offset and actually fit better than the 14 inch ralleys.

But even 15 inchers don't give you much of a selection of genuine high performance tires these days.

I can fit a 9" wide tire with a 28" diameter without having to cut the wheel opening. It's pretty tight on the width and I did trim the edge lip a bit so it wouldn't cut the sidewall on a hard turn. With a custom offset/back spacing, you might be able to go a bit wider, but, not a lot more without relocating the springs.

I have run a 235/60 x 14 tire on the back of my 65 Barracuda, and it did fit, but I agree with the Professor that a 235 is a tad wide for a stock 14 inch ralley wheel (really 14 x 5.5, not 14 x 6). Still, I never had any problem with that setup except when I had a couple of passengers in the back seat and then it would rub slightly on turns.

Now run 15 x 7 SBP Cragars with 225/60 R 15s. They have more offset and actually fit better than the 14 inch ralleys.

But even 15 inchers don't give you much of a selection of genuine high performance tires these days.
You can find hi-po 15’s but they are very low profile and too short for an a body unless you are doing auto-x.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/toyo-proxes-r888r

And the width of a factory rally where is 5.5" so there's that.

You can find hi-po 15’s but they are very low profile and too short for an a body unless you are doing auto-x.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/toyo-proxes-r888r
Mopar Action's Green Brick ran the same 225/50VR15's My '88 ShelbyZ came with when it placed 3rd in the One Lap of America, and it's the size I have on My '64 GT on Popo Rallyes at the moment, they are low & some may not like the look.....but a little free gearing bump if You have a dog rear gear.:D...

Mopar Action's Green Brick ran the same 225/50VR15's My '88 ShelbyZ came with when it placed 3rd in the One Lap of America, and it's the size I have on My '64 GT on Popo Rallyes at the moment, they are low & some may not like the look.....but a little free gearing bump if You have a dog rear gear.:D...
Pics!!!

I want to see your 64 with the lo pros on it
Only pic I have of My ratty in progress ride is on stands, with the rear axle jacked up to see how it sat w/the -2" 6-leaf ESPO's I just put on, maybe 5+ yrs. back.

Only pic I have of My ratty in progress ride is on stands, with the rear axle jacked up to see how it sat w/the -2" 6-leaf ESPO's I just put on, maybe 5+ yrs. back.
I know your pain

image.jpg

I have run
Hey all.what's the biggest tire I can put on the back of my 65 Valliant.I have stock ralleys 14 by 6 with a 4 inch bs.
Ted
I think Darts and Valiants will take the same sized wheels and tires. (Measure first) The black wheels on my 66 are 15x7's with a 4.25" backspace. 225/70-15 tires. The Halibrand clones are 15x7's with a 4" backspace (I believe,never measured them) with a 235/70-15 tire. No spring or wheel lip rubbing with either but there is a slight wheel house rub with the 235's occasionally. Not an issue though.

001b.JPG

2.20.22c.jpg

On a different note, I'd love to find a flat tire replacement for my 215/70/R14. Anyone ever done this?

I like that tire size. I get concerned there's not enough clearance around the wheel openings. Looks like yours is fine.

Ran it like this for probably 8 years before doing a mini tub. I think it rubbed a little with passengers in the back. But that was pretty rare to have people in back so it wasn’t really a concern. I vote do a mini tub and don’t look back!

IMG_4145.jpeg

There’s area between the inner wheelhouse and the frame rail that gets cut out and gives you more room for a larger tire. It requires moving the leaf spring locations and shortening the rear axle. But you can fit a good size tire, currently running a 295-50-15.

I'm also running a 295's on my 65 with mini tubs and narrowed 8.75. The wheel and tire are tucked inside the wheel well. Could probably go 305 or 315 with a different size wheel.

255/60r15 on 15x8 with 4” BS. Super stock springs, Dr diff 1/2” offset kit and the 8 3/4 has been narrowed to 56 1/4” drum to drum. I could definitely run more backspace and go bigger, but I’ve already got the wheels.

There is no weight on the car at all, front is still on jack stands. I might have to roll the inner fender lip on the passenger side, I might not. Im happy with how it turned out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

-
Back