Biggest tire in Stock rear fenderwells

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
Hey Guys I really am not in the mood to tub the Scamp so I was wondering whats the biggest tire you have fit into a stock wheel well (ignore leaf spring clearance) and not had issues with rubbing? I will have the correct offset wheels but I want to know. I had a minitubbed dart that I squeezed 28x11x15's in but that car was not much of a street car and the tubs only went to the frame rail.

So say a 275/40/20, that's 28.7" overall diameter. Do you think that's pushing it too far?

It may fit. But I am not 100% on that. I know it will be very close. You may need to cut and radius the front wheelwell for more clearance or you could move the rear end back about an inch for more clearance if you had to. But it just may fit with out doing that. ???????? Sorry mabby some one has done this and willk now for sure. I do know that with factory tolerances every car is a little different and even side to side on the same car. So do a lot of mesuring on both sides befor you go buying any thing. Sorr I cant be more help.

and the lips are rolled and we will be using a 4 link so no leaf spring to worry about

The biggest tire I have seenany one get in a Dart wheel well with out tubing is a 275. Mabby with out the spring in there and the fender rolled you may be able to move up a size if you can find a rim with just the right back space. Measure it and see what you have to work with then see if you can find a rim in the BS you will need.

I'm planning on 275/60x15 in my '69 Dart with SS springs and a spring offset kit. I've already bought my 8" wide rims with 4.5" backspacing. I'm going to narrow the existing B-body (installed by prior owner) to center the wheel/tire package in the available space.
Measurements say it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm planning on 275/60x15 in my '69 Dart with SS springs and a spring offset kit. I've already bought my 8" wide rims with 4.5" backspacing. I'm going to narrow the existing B-body (installed by prior owner) to center the wheel/tire package in the available space.
Measurements say it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I don't know OC,

I just put 255-60-15 BFG TAs and Summit chrome alluminum 8" wide with 4.5' back spacing on my '69 Swinger and even with rolled lips I'm here to tell you it is CLOSE! I can only get my baby finger in between the wheel well lip and the tire on the driver's side and I can't quite get in on the passinger side. I swapped out the original 6 leaf springs with new ones but I got 5 leafs. I installed them and it did raise the car a bit but not enough.

I have since ordered 3400 lb Super Stock springs and plan to put them on. I was told that I can expect a 2' lift from them and plus I'll reap the benifits of improved traction. I just wanted to let you know BEFORE you buy that wheel/tire combo.

Good Luck!!

I don't know OC,

I just put 255-60-15 BFG TAs and Summit chrome alluminum 8" wide with 4.5' back spacing on my '69 Swinger and even with rolled lips I'm here to tell you it is CLOSE! I can only get my baby finger in between the wheel well lip and the tire on the driver's side and I can't quite get in on the passinger side. I swapped out the original 6 leaf springs with new ones but I got 5 leafs. I installed them and it did raise the car a bit but not enough.

Do you have a spring offset kit as well in your car? I just got a 67 Dart that needs some new tires and was wondering how big I could go. I plan to do an axle swap in the future (8 1/4 now, either 8 3/4 or a Dana eventually), but I would like to be able to keep whatever wheels and tires I get the first time. Trying to figure out what size rims I need to start with. I'd like to put street slicks on it, but I'm not sure how oversized I can go on them to fit narrower rims (we had a 69 Charger with stock rims that had something like 275 tires on them and the wheels almost looked like a funnel there was such a difference, lol). I'd like to do 10-12 inch tread, but I don't know if street slicks will put up with as much tread to rim difference.

-
Back