Billet BBM heads

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
Saw this on FB

A653CA24-D769-42B5-96D3-F05612D84420.png

Wonder how they do cooling in a billet head? Perhaps its not relevant in a drag motor.

Depending on the type of drag racing there doing, exactly! No care on cooling.

Not for gas, but alcohol and nitro doesn't need water for cooling. Race only applications though...

A river of raw fuel of the Methanol or Nitromethane variety cools the engine by the volume of the latent heat of evaporation. An old KB billet block set up for wedge type heads could make some huge power. Ultimately, the paired exhaust ports in the center of the head become the limiting factor. Not in the way of power output, but in strength. Too much heat centralized in one area affects cylinder sealing and promotes detonation in the middle cylinders. I know a guy in XDRL who was running some big inch Mopar setups with billet Indy heads in pro classes who's learned a thing or two about that situation and doesn't care to share it. Look at the people who are making huge boosted power and running back to back every week with one engine rebuild per season and you'll find spread exhaust ports.

Steve Morris specializes in boosted engines and is building his own billet stuff, calling it SMX. Look him up on YouTube. Good tech videos, but specifically there is a video showing all the cooling available on his SMX stuff, making them excellent for the quickest Drag Week cars.
SMX Billet 4,500+ High Horsepower Engine by Steve Morris Engines - Steve Morris Engines
A friend of mine is running a Steve Morris LSX twin turbo billet motor in a 2010 Camaro. It’s a small tire car, so he’s not running a ton of boost yet. With an iron block twin turbo monstrosity from Steve Morse, he went 7.59 at Drag Week in a back halfed Mustang a couple years back.

A friend of mine is running a Steve Morris LSX twin turbo billet motor in a 2010 Camaro. It’s a small tire car, so he’s not running a ton of boost yet. With an iron block twin turbo monstrosity from Steve Morse, he went 7.59 at Drag Week in a back halfed Mustang a couple years back.
Clark Rosenstengal?

By the time I can afford those, they'll be the same as bbm iron heads today, old tech

-
Back