Billet Hub Question...

-

swisswill

Reaction score
Does anybody know if a billet aluminum hub can have the holes welded shut and redrilled? I know axles can be done, but I'm not sure about a billet aluminum hub. Thanks.

Where did you get billet aluminum hubs for a Mopar? I suppose you could weld them up but you'll most likely need to remachine the entire hub or else you'll have a lot of runout.

I would go the hub-centric wheel adapter route or just buy the correct bolt pattern wheels......I assume you have Wilwoods or a similar aftermarket hub, right?

It is a Wilwood hub. I haven't bought them yet but trying to find out options. I've found some hub-centric adaptors I can pick up but I really don't want to go that route if I don't have to. I just don't know if the holes in billet aluminum can be welded up and redrilled while maintaining integrity.

If I can get a steel hub for a Mustang II spindle it's all good because I know Moser can do that one. I may have to check with the Mustang crowd to see if they have any options for a steel hub.

What are you trying to accomplish? I thought the Willwood hub has two bolt patterns, one for BBP and one for SBP.

It sounds like you are going to put on one of those Kit Car tube chassis under your car anyway? Don't they come with front and rear suspension?

I found a pretty good deal on a set of Viper Wheels that I'm trying to mount onto my Dart. I know I can mount them using adaptors, but I want to do it without if I can. I think I have it worked out with either a hub from an old Mustang, or a set of hubs from Kore3. Definitely not going the route of having the Wilwood hubs filled and redrilled. Moser says no and Kore3 strongly discourages it. That ones out!

Just have some custom hubs built with the Viper bolt pattern. I build custom hubs all the time so I can run different offset rims and different brake packages.

Just have some custom hubs built with the Viper bolt pattern. I build custom hubs all the time so I can run different offset rims and different brake packages.

Where do you get yours built? I just priced some from Kore3 and the price seems good but I don't know what other prices are.

I don't really understand what you're trying to do other than use Viper rims. What brake setup are you going to run? What are you going to do in the rear, get custom axles made with the six lug pattern?

I'm going to run Viper rims, brakes, and rotors all around. The axles will be drilled with the 6 x 4.5" bolt pattern. I'll need to get hubs made for the front and brackets made for the front and rear. I'm hoping to run Gen 3 calipers including the separate e-brake calipers in the rear. Thanks.

Well it can be done on the front without too much trouble. I've set up a couple of cars with Viper brakes (rotors + calipers) but in both cases we redrilled the rotors to work with 5x4.50. But the hubs could be set up for 6x4.50 without any issues. You do have to figure out where you want the wheel to be mounted for clearance reasons and then design the hub around that location. Then once the wheel is mounted you have to figure out if the caliper can be fitted.

Which type of Viper brakes, radial mount or ear mount? The late model radial mount is the way to go if possible. I sell kits to hang either Viper brake system on most any Mopar muscle car but the kits are all designed around 5x4.50 bolt pattern.

Hanging the Viper brakes on the rear is a lot of work. You'll need to design some sort of backing plate adjuster system plus get custom made axles. The Viper calipers are fixed which doesn't work very well with the tapered roller bearings so that needs to be addressed.

-
Back