Bilstein RCDs from Hotchkis, other stuff

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any threads about it yet so I figured I'd throw it out there, Hotchkis Sport Suspension now has a line of A-body Mopar suspension upgrade parts including Bilstein RCD shocks. Here's a link to the shocks, and you can navigate to their other products.

http://www.hotchkis.net/rcd_shocks_dodge_a_e_body_4_pack.html

The adjustable strut rods look interesting too, I know mine don't fit properly with the aftermarket bushings (can be cut and relocated but found out too late). They've also got lowering leaf springs that are supposedly lighter with 4 leaves but still 130 lb/in rate.

Nice pieces, but I do not think they are matched to stiffer torsion bars. I had them and got rid of them on the front of my Dart, as I felt they were not valved to match my 1.04 T bars.

Nice pieces, but I do not think they are matched to stiffer torsion bars. I had them and got rid of them on the front of my Dart, as I felt they were not valved to match my 1.04 T bars.

Then what would be a better choice without spending twice as much? I'm thinking of running the Just Suspension 1" bars on my Duster and need good shocks for it but $400 for a set is about as much as I'm willing to pay...

Unfortunately, with shocks, you get what you pay for. Right now, in the required A length (short) there are NO shocks on the market that are proper for the common larger torsion bars.

You arent a fan of the QA1 Stocker Stars? Their adjustment range should have enough to control upwards of a 1" TBar.

You arent a fan of the QA1 Stocker Stars? Their adjustment range should have enough to control upwards of a 1" TBar.

The ones they sell for A-bodies are B-body length, IIRC. Clair used GM A-body QA1's (Chevelle, GTO etc) that have a shorter body and changed the upper mounting hardware with a kit from QA1.

But GMachineDartGT, do you think those are valved for 1.04 and above.

You guys remember 1.04 Tbars are a significant jump from 1.00" T-bars. Were' talking a little over 20% more wheel rate.

GMachineDartGT, I just got some 1.14" T-bars with not a lot of miles on them. What's out there that can handle that? Those 1.14's are 75% more rate than 1.00's. And almost THREE TIMES more rate than stock 340 T-bars.

I'm really not. They are a twin tube alum shock. I really don't think they are durable enough for real street usage. I take my car to work once a week, 100miles round trip over bridges in the NYC Metro area. I do not like parts that could potentially fail. I had Alston Varishocks (very similar but USA made) on the car briefly. I liked the adjustability but the durability was horrible.

Lets not forget the travel of the shock too. Many adj shocks come in 9" or sub 9 compressed. Usually, thats a 4" travel shock, which further hampers ride quality. Remember, the A bodies came with a shock that had 5.8 inches of travel OE. Granted, stiffer bars, lower ride heights require less travel, but I still maintain 5" with my setup.

Lets not forget the travel of the shock too. Many adj shocks come in 9" or sub 9 compressed. Usually, thats a 4" travel shock, which further hampers ride quality. Remember, the A bodies came with a shock that had 5.8 inches of travel OE. Granted, stiffer bars, lower ride heights require less travel, but I still maintain 5" with my setup.

Do you think it hampers ride quality because it's operating near it's travel limits or because it's bottoming out? Or other reason?

Any time you have varying road conditions, I feel its important to have adequate extension and compression for the suspension to properly keep the tires on the ground.

-
Back