Biohazard

-
I cleaned my screen. I see rust...................................
I think the rust will hide some undesirable microbes..

Just sayin.:D

Garage cleanup time. I've had stuff so scattered, just time to regroup.
Taking the old master cylinder, drums, and that hybrid header panel to the scrap shop.

Tacoma is loaded with a week's worth of work.

This is ready to go in. Wires got zip tied to make the unit easier to manage.

Try to have somebody help when installing dash. Really awkward to do by yourself. I have scratched a couple by myself...............:banghead:

Yep, got the missus on standby for that job.

Meanwhile, it's good to see my assortment of loose parts clearing up. Even the trunk of the car is becoming more tidy.

Also - the spring frames and cargo deck previously mentioned...

Started working on the underhood wiring harness.
This fusible link is done. The bits if brass are due to this connector not wanting to cooperate.

Overspray, overspray. I have already cleaned off the blue wire; the other one is supposed to be brown; they were both a mix of white and crimson Working it out with fine steel wool.

I know that was a subject shift but I had a bit of a work stoppage on the harness so I had to start on something else.

The wires under the tape are in decent shape; jackets look good and wires are pliable but on the exposed wires, the vinyl jackets are stiffer and, in some places, brittle to the point of cracking. That fusible link is junk. I picked up a replacement from carquest. I'm not splicing it into the old wires but, rather crimping new connectors onto it and reinstalling it just like stock. This did, however, require the procurement of some new terminals which radio shack just don't happen to carry. Had to order those, hence the delay.

Flushed the tranny lines out with brake cleaner which I will do again after I degunk and steel wool them.

Reviving a timeless tradition: cleaning parts in the tub. Lol

Dude!!! You got balls of steel!!! My wife is VERY forgiving and I get away with a lot of crap. But, if I did that,,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't think I would be typing this right now. :angel10:

I was thinking that must be the garage bathroom....cause I've seen pictures of part of your house and that bath didn't fit in with the 'theme'. :)

Replacing this [original?] mechanical voltage regulator. Just because it's old.

really long ones....:)

Those mechanical regulators are pretty strange looking inside...wow...who came up with that design.

My workpile is a bit ecclectic this week. Today, I freshened up one of the A/C lines.

Before:

After:

Then it was time to get at the rest of it. The metal tubing, the hex fittings, and the weathered rubber hose caked in overspray from two lame repaints. But MarineClean and some steel wool took care of most of it.

...and the whole thing.

The rubber hose still needs a rub down with a preservative/conditioner but the crud removal is done and that was the hard part. :)

Hit those lines with some clear if you have not already.

Great detail!!!

Y'know, I wasn't sure what to hit them with. Lacquer, enamel, or rub some Nu Finish on them? Suggestions?

RE: the wire terminals, they are "Packard 56" standard for most makes of the era, my local Napa used to carry them.

RE: the voltage regulator, find a replacement solid state version, much more stable and reliable. If originality is not important it does not hurt to convert to the '70 and up style if your alternator has already been converted. If your alternator has only one field wire terminal then you are stuck, but many over the years have been swapped to two wire connections. The original on your car had a single terminal that is connected to the output of the regulator. The regulator connection is positive voltage. The ground of the field is internal to the case. For the newer models the 12V from the ignition feeds the + field connection and powers the regulator. The - side of the field is controlled by the regulator. If someone has swapped a two field alternator but has the original regulator, the second field is usually connected to ground somewhere.

Correct you are, sir. Packard 56 or CG8. Packard 56 will get more results in google and eBay.
I already have a solid state - restoration appearance VR on order along with a package of CG8's. Was working on the other big A/C hose but had to take a break to go see "Fury".

-
Back