Biohazard

-
Measured my own muffler last night - 19 inches - so I know I can get away with that much

Well, winter type weather is here. I screwed around this summer and let all of the good painting weather pass on by so I will now have to wait until spring before I can paint and install the metal interior panels.

To mitigate this 'setback', I've ordered the necessary buns and upholstery kits so I can at least get my seats completed in the meantime. Back-order, of course, as they have to be made but so long as I have them to work on December-January, I'll be happy.

Classic Industries is my source for these.

Classic sells legendary, they are a vendor.
Tip, buy new foam for the seats, I re-used the original foam on my Duster and it fits ok, new foam would have made them much nicer.

Tip, buy new foam for the seats

That's a joke, right? C'mon man, don't you remember how all this got started? Not only will I not being re-using the nasty, moldy original foams, I'll probably incinerate them out in the desert and then bury the ashes in a 10' deep pit.

All this reminds me...I was thinking of sourcing some "biohazard" symbol decals off eBay for the back windows. That might keep me occupied some today. Doing a 12-hr and our base is slower than a slant-6 Polara.

Car-Styling-Decorative-font-b-Sticker-b-font-font-b-Biohazard-b-font-Resident-Evil-Car.jpg

Tracking shows my rear spring bushes arriving tomorrow.

Does anyone have an opinion on using lube when pushing the new bushings in? Or should I go dry?

Messing with you brother, just giving you your daily harassment...........
Not sure I would want to be around burning moldy foam, but knock your self out.

That's a joke, right? C'mon man, don't you remember how all this got started? Not only will I not being re-using the nasty, moldy original foams, I'll probably incinerate them out in the desert and then bury the ashes in a 10' deep pit.

All this reminds me...I was thinking of sourcing some "biohazard" symbol decals off eBay for the back windows. That might keep me occupied some today. Doing a 12-hr and our base is slower than a slant-6 Polara.

Car-Styling-Decorative-font-b-Sticker-b-font-font-b-Biohazard-b-font-Resident-Evil-Car.jpg

its all good, man. but yeah, I never intended to keep anything soft on this car. It's all either too funky to clean or just dried out from 40 years in the desert.

its all good, man. but yeah, I never intended to keep anything soft on this car. It's all either too funky to clean or just dried out from 40 years in the desert.

Old car funk smell, nothing compares to it.

When I bought my old power wagon, from the original owner, the first time my wife rode in it she said it smelled exactly the same as my dads power wagon.
Had to be the chemicals they used to manufacture the seats, because there is nothing else in those old trucks.

A completely horrible smell is any old interior from around WWII or older.
I don't care how nice / original it looks it just stinks bad.
I think it is just dry-rotting materials but I could be wrong.

A completely horrible smell is any old interior from around WWII or older.
I don't care how nice / original it looks it just stinks bad.
I think it is just dry-rotting materials but I could be wrong.

Past the quota of being farted in? :fart:

:D

Anyway.....................

Putting the rear suspension back together.
The rubber bushing on the left rear eye didn't want to leave. The inside of the leaf is a real mess and will need a little lovin' from the Dremel.

The large front eyes pressed out pretty easily and were clean inside. You can see some light scratch lines from me wiggling a flat blade screwdriver around trying to work the oil to ease removal.

Cleaned up the large bolts with the Dremel.

The steel sleeve should go. Your new front spring eye bushing will have the steel outer sleeve, then rubber and the steel inner sleeve. It will probably have to be pressed in.

PST parts. No outer sleeve. I knocked it out and everything is fitting much better.

When I installed the non-rubber bushings in my car they squeaked. I had lubed them up very liberally. It had me a bit concerned but within a few hundred miles of driving the noise went away.

I'm more worried about ride stiffness and road noise transmitting into the cabin. But we'll just have to see.

I thought I'd be further along than I got today but completely removing the leafs and pounding the outer sleeves out of those leaf eyes took the better part of my time. It did, however, make reassembly much easier.

Rubber bush and sleeve:

-
Back