Black and Decker Valve Resurfacer Repair

-

macdrew77

Reaction score
I got this B&D valve refacer in a trade and it needs some work and is missing some pieces.
Does anyone know what the diamond tipped stone dresser tool looks like, and if they’re still available?

IMG_0393.jpeg

IMG_0394.jpeg

YouTube has a bunch of videos regarding those machines. Parts can be found on eBay. 65'

That's a really nice machine, I have one.
Decades ago I had trouble getting stones or pilots for mine.
I ended up getting Sioux pilots and stones, and drilled the stone arbors out to press a suitable valve guide into, and use Sioux stones/pilots, with BD arbors/drill motor? and the rest.
Just if you get stuck, I didn't have ebay back then, lol
PS check your hi school auto shop for used stones .

IMG_20240108_155049_754.jpg

IMG_20240108_155004_426.jpg

Update: Had to blow the thing all apart and clean and relubricate since the slides/ways were jammed up. Replaced coolant pump hoses and that's working well now. Still trying to figure out how to properly adjust the lead screw things as the work table is a bit uneven with its travel while cranking the handle. Chuck holds about .0002" or less of runout with a valve guide pilot in there. But I've ordered a straight shank collet chuck to be able to fit smaller valves if need be. This website has a lot of parts but its a bit overpriced: Machine Repair Parts - Black and Decker Repair Parts - Black and Decker 282/550, 6300, and 6305 Parts - Beam Equipment & Supplies LLC
I found the diamond dresser on ebay for about half that price, and ordered a collet chuck and collet from Shars for less than a third the price of their "small valve adapter". We will see if the collet chuck within a collet can maintain acceptable runout. I've read about someone pressing a 1" straight shank collet holder into the black and decker spindle, which I might consider if this is a failure.
The grinder came with a bunch of valve seat grinder accessories, some B&D and some Sioux. Stone holders are kind of loose so those might be junk. I found a B&D Vibromatic Valve Seat Grinder set near me and the guy only wants $60 so hopefully tomorrow I can pick that up.

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

Maybe I should have parted mine out?
I scrapped it ( mine was much older version)
The cords were shot and I took the 2 motors in to an electric motor shop to have them taken apart and new bearings and brushes and the guy came back with something wrong internally with the armature which meant sending them out to someplace in Wisconsin (the only place left anywhere around that offers that service) and I was quoted $500+ just for that part of the repairs, between not having the money and a machine that really wouldn't have that much usage around here, I ended up scrapping it.

Lotta those look like Sioux which are diff dia.than BD
Think I used helicoils on sioux stones in some cases.
You'll be doing 5 angle grinds in no time.
The stone holders, I call arbors, just drill out to a suitable valve guide OD, then size ID to Sioux pilots OD, - then helicoils Sioux stones to fit BD arbors..
That just makes everything you need to order Sioux, often cheaper/commoner.
I also assisted in hi-school auto shop, and found they had a box of "worn-out" stones, with many I could still use .
I didn't have internet when I brought my BD up to modern standards.
Very nice .

Last edited:
If anyone within driving distance of me needs any of this crap come and get it for free. Stones, dresser (needs diamond cutter) air stone driver needs work

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

Scored this for $60. Excited to try it out on something soon.

View attachment 1716192917
I have a set like that under the bench as well. Came with that valve grinder that I had to scrap... I do hope to get another valve grinder one day.
The last time I needed one I loaded up the heads and took it to a buddy's house whose not in any kind of shape to work on cars anymore, and used his grinder

Update: Had to blow the thing all apart and clean and relubricate since the slides/ways were jammed up. Replaced coolant pump hoses and that's working well now. Still trying to figure out how to properly adjust the lead screw things as the work table is a bit uneven with its travel while cranking the handle. Chuck holds about .0002" or less of runout with a valve guide pilot in there. But I've ordered a straight shank collet chuck to be able to fit smaller valves if need be. This website has a lot of parts but its a bit overpriced: Machine Repair Parts - Black and Decker Repair Parts - Black and Decker 282/550, 6300, and 6305 Parts - Beam Equipment & Supplies LLC
I found the diamond dresser on ebay for about half that price, and ordered a collet chuck and collet from Shars for less than a third the price of their "small valve adapter". We will see if the collet chuck within a collet can maintain acceptable runout. I've read about someone pressing a 1" straight shank collet holder into the black and decker spindle, which I might consider if this is a failure.
The grinder came with a bunch of valve seat grinder accessories, some B&D and some Sioux. Stone holders are kind of loose so those might be junk. I found a B&D Vibromatic Valve Seat Grinder set near me and the guy only wants $60 so hopefully tomorrow I can pick that up.

View attachment 1716192418

View attachment 1716192419

If that thing will hold .0002 runout I’d be hard pressed to even mess with it. That’s pretty good for a machine that old.

But…those were under rated machines. I don’t know how many valves I cut with one but it was a ton and it was about .0005 run out.

Looks somewhat like mine. This is the machine that I learned to grind valves on in 1974 at the JD dealer in IL where I grew up. The dealership burnt and I picked it up at the GOB sale.

DSC01717.JPG

DSC01718.JPG

DSC01719.JPG

-
Back