Black Friday sales. Who’s buying what.

-
I have a Grid in my heads up car that I really should have moved into my black car. Dragway 42 has bitten me several times overpowering the track. I should pull some timing there at the hit. I’ve changed the gearset and shock settings then boom, the track goes away.
Grid was on my wish list....Hopefully my wife took advantage of the black friday sale and 10% off coupon I gave her.... lol

I wanted a crank trigger but I didn’t see anything on sale so I passed.
I put one one two years ago. I was having a bad problem with the car breaking up at top end. I wasn't sure if it was fuel or ignition related so I replaced all of it. Crank trigger was also required the advance to be locked out so I also had to get a timing retarder.

I put one one two years ago. I was having a bad problem with the car breaking up at top end. I wasn't sure if it was fuel or ignition related so I replaced all of it. Crank trigger was also required the advance to be locked out so I also had to get a timing retarder.

That’s one of the issues I have with the crank trigger. I don’t want to lock out my timing because I want a curve. I’m trying to figure out if I can use my 3 stage retard to program a curve of some sort, put a micro switch on the 2,3 and 4 shift levers and see what I can get. I don’t want to lock out the timing.

Inline tube had 25% off if you spent over $300 so I got all new brake and fuel lines and emergency brake cables for the 65.

I think most vendors will end up extending some of these sales and discounts throughout the end of the year. The economy isn't great, no matter what the soul-less talking heads on TV say about it.

"Isn't great" is putting it kindly.
I extended mine through the 30th and have still only sold one $100 Gift Certificate. I added ten percent to it.

"Isn't great" is putting it kindly.
I extended mine through the 30th and have still only sold one $100 Gift Certificate. I added ten percent to it.
True. I know my small business is in year 3 of "isn't great". Not dead, but not good. I'm B2B though- so holiday sales are not a thing.

Wow that's real nice!
IMG_4457.jpeg

Thanks Rusty! My wife took my photo in front of the toolbox after I cleaned, organized and decorated it.

Comp Cams has 15% off custom grind cams until December 31st. Going to inquire about what a custom grind would cost, as I had a custom grind hydraulic roller in an engine build similar to the LA I am doing right now, so would love something similar to it in a flat tappet lobe since I still have the lobes used documented here. Browsed their catalog, but also put in a tech request about it as well. We shall see...

True. I know my small business is in year 3 of "isn't great". Not dead, but not good. I'm B2B though- so holiday sales are not a thing.

Same here, pretty much dwindling off since November 4 of 2020. With one job on the bench and nothing behind it, it's grim and the fat lady is in the parking lot warming up her vocal chords. Hard to admit after 17 years ......

Comp Cams has 15% off custom grind cams until December 31st. Going to inquire about what a custom grind would cost, as I had a custom grind hydraulic roller in an engine build similar to the LA I am doing right now, so would love something similar to it in a flat tappet lobe since I still have the lobes used documented here. Browsed their catalog, but also put in a tech request about it as well. We shall see...
Let us know what lead times they give you for a custom grind. I ordered a custom grind from Howard's at the beginning of this month. They said it COULD take 3-4 months. They said cam cores were the biggest hold up. Curious if Comp is in the same boat.

Same here, pretty much dwindling off since November 4 of 2020. With one job on the bench and nothing behind it, it's grim and the fat lady is in the parking lot warming up her vocal chords. Hard to admit after 17 years ......
Just make sure you keep paying your quarterly taxes! That's all we are to our government anymore, effing tax donkeys. They regulate and destroy everything they touch, but expect us to keep paying........no matter if you have any left over to pay yourself. For me, it is the freedom that keeps my business going- some years we make good $$, some years we dont. I dont really care anymore!

Let us know what lead times they give you for a custom grind. I ordered a custom grind from Howard's at the beginning of this month. They said it COULD take 3-4 months. They said cam cores were the biggest hold up. Curious if Comp is in the same boat.
Oh wow, 3-4 months? I only went to the Comp website because I actually wanted a Howards shelf grind, but the 2 I had my eye on were not in stock ANYWHERE I could see on various internet parts sites....Ventured to the comp site just to see if I could find my old lobes in their catalog from the cam I had, and saw the sale advertised. If they are the same at 3-4 months, it may be back to just trying to find something used, or getting the old crane grind that's in the motor reground, although neither is really 100% ideal for the build which kinda sucks if spending the money...I just find that the lead times are almost always longer then they typically say, so it makes me wary since 3-4 months is already a long time.

What does Howards charge for a custom grind?

Some nice Mopar single plane intakes marked down at Summit. If you can throw a 10% off code on top that’s even better. Super Victor on sale too.

IMG_0510.jpeg

Oh wow, 3-4 months? I only went to the Comp website because I actually wanted a Howards shelf grind, but the 2 I had my eye on were not in stock ANYWHERE I could see on various internet parts sites....Ventured to the comp site just to see if I could find my old lobes in their catalog from the cam I had, and saw the sale advertised. If they are the same at 3-4 months, it may be back to just trying to find something used, or getting the old crane grind that's in the motor reground, although neither is really 100% ideal for the build which kinda sucks if spending the money...I just find that the lead times are almost always longer then they typically say, so it makes me wary since 3-4 months is already a long time.

What does Howards charge for a custom grind?
3-4 months is what the vendor I bought the Howard's custom grind though said. Basically, you can work directly with Howard's on the specification via their website, they give you the cam card, and then send you to one of their vendors to do the purchase. I purchased through Competition Products, which is basically in the same building as Howard's. The sales guy @ Competition Products gave me the 3-4 month warning.

I'm using Howard's because I liked the Howard's roller i was using in my 440 build the last 2 seasons. It will just be a little too small for my new 505 build. So, I had them cook me up a grind that will work with the extra cubes.

That’s one of the issues I have with the crank trigger. I don’t want to lock out my timing because I want a curve. I’m trying to figure out if I can use my 3 stage retard to program a curve of some sort, put a micro switch on the 2,3 and 4 shift levers and see what I can get. I don’t want to lock out the timing.

I installed a crank trigger on my street/strip small block, but also kept the MSD distributor trigger as a back-up. Now that I can switch back and forth between triggers, I could put a curve back in the distributor for street use if I wanted to.

Grant

GTX John sent me some codes, but I can't figure out how to leave him positive feedback?

GTX John sent me some codes, but I can't figure out how to leave him positive feedback?

Why would you do that. It’s a gift, nothing more nothing less. I never asked or have gotten positive feedback for something I get and give for free. I’m surprised if he would expect that.

-
Back