Black vinyl top or not

-

tooslow

Reaction score
Hello,

I am doing the bodywork on my 68 cuda and cannot decide if I should put the black vinyl top back on. means I have to remove all the molding brackets. I kinda of like the vinyl top.
The car is an original 318 car that now has a 383. I am painting the car a blue pearl from a 2010 Dodge Challenger
Any thoughts on the vinyl top????

I like em also. Breaks up the look of some cars. I'm gonna put the black one back on my GTS

Vinyl tops across all car lines of the late 60's and 70's were a defining design feature of that era. Certainly not all cars had them, but they were quite prevalent. My newly restored 73 Duster is going back to the Gold Duster trim that it was born with.

Dennis

I would put it on...especially if u like it

If you like it, run it.

My last dart I didn't like the top and went without it. glad I did. The current one I like with it because of the way it plays in with the color theme/scheme of the car.

With and without.

The silver car had a ton of damage to the roof from the vinyl top

Attachments

• 20150430_162407.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 356
  • 00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 346
My 1970 Swinger still has the original top, 124k miles, no rust under it.

ANd mine was from Arizona and was trashed. You never know till you pull it. Then the sins are exposed.

I am going to put it back on.. Look good with the color. I am have new stock honeycomb wheels with trim rings...

thank you

Love mine. Thought about taking it off when I painted it orange but glad I left it.

Attachments

• photo (40).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 286
  • orange car.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 284
Personal opinion is to put it back on; it was part of the original look of the car and IMHO belongs there.

Attachments

• DSC_0001 (8).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0047.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Primer 2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 286
  • May 23 four.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 283
  • May 23 two.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 299
No vinyl..had one on my '73 cuda took it off when i painted the car it looked 100% better without it..

I've never had anything but compliments on my vinyl top. I've seen the bottom side too. Solid as the day it rolled off the factory floor.

IMG_6703.jpg

I LOVE THEM

put it back on

my 1st car was a 67 Barracuda and it was light blue, black vinyl dark blue interior

painted it dark blue

View attachment 67Cuda1st.jpg

View attachment AMy1stCar.jpg

wish I had better pictures. these were scanned in from polaroid taken in 1975

as far as rust issues

the cars today will be taken better care of than any car from back in the day. They were drivers, they were parked outside and they were left to rot in many cases before someone decided hey, lets fix that old heap up

and HELL YES the gas tank and rear end is painted white......................................LOL

I like the vinyl. Offers a nice contrast to the color. What is everyone using to keep them looking good?

-
Back