Blank fender tag.

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I bought a parts car for a project. It’s a Satellite Sebring Plus. You know, fairly loaded up. But when I was pulling the carpet to remove the shifter mounts I found this. First time I have seen or heard of it. Not a mark. Zip. Zero. Nada.

C914076E-1FBB-46BB-B325-A16D375B17FF.jpeg

55B08FE0-03EB-488E-9438-31DDDBF1C730.jpeg

A friend had a car MANY years ago that had a rattle. The dealer searched and searched but could not find it.

The guy finally decided to take matters into his own hands.

He started cutting into body panels near where he heard the rattle.

Sure enough he found the rattle and a note laughing about the rattle.

The belief was that an assy line worker wrote the note and stuck it to a piece of metal and put inside the body panels before they were welded together.

I don't know if it was a tall tail but it was told to me as a true story!

I have a blank tag that was screwed next to the other fender tag. No idea why they would have done this. I think it was off a challenger.

I've seen tags wit only a small inspector's stamp or punch.

A friend had a car MANY years ago that had a rattle. The dealer searched and searched but could not find it.

The guy finally decided to take matters into his own hands.

He started cutting into body panels near where he heard the rattle.

Sure enough he found the rattle and a note laughing about the rattle.

The belief was that an assy line worker wrote the note and stuck it to a piece of metal and put inside the body panels before they were welded together.

I don't know if it was a tall tail but it was told to me as a true story!
I've heard of similar stories, one from my high school auto shop teacher told us from his days in a dealership was about an empty pop bottle tied on a string and left hanging inside the lower A pillar near the door hinges. Every time the car made a sharp turn it would clunk against the body. Took the shop a few weeks to find that one.

Interesting. Is it the same color as the car? I can guess that the tag possibly slipped out of someone's hands on the assembly line and they didn't know where it went, so they just grabbed another blank one, stamped it and moved on.
I've seen tags wit only a small inspector's stamp or punch.
Like this?

FenderTag3.jpg

No, a whole standard fender tag with a punch like that or a one letter/character stamp.

Interesting. Is it the same color as the car? I can guess that the tag possibly slipped out of someone's hands on the assembly line and they didn't know where it went, so they just grabbed another blank one, stamped it and moved on.
It is the color of the car. It appears to have been hung on a wire and painted intentionally on the front. The back is merely covered with overspray.

2ABBB160-7BD8-4C2B-8F75-FDEE78EB5E7F.jpeg

ABA02CFC-A720-4987-9E8B-18643A1077FA.jpeg

I would be carefully handing that out to anyone. They could use it to create a fake fender tag.

The fender tag repo guys go to extream lengths that they only repo a real tag for the real owner.

I'm thinking it will go on the GTX clone I'm building. A non specified car with whatever options the stoners decided to put on it as it rolled down the line that day!

-
Back