bleeding brakes

-

ir3333

Reaction score
will the rear hold off valve on the early 4 piston Kelsey Hayes Disc brakes
prevent gravity bleeding the rear brakes?

gravity bleeding sucks at best, its okay if your the only one around and you need the brakes to work in a pinch but it always seems to give you a mushy brake pedal

pressure bleeding only takes a minute, anyone can help; from your wife to kids (as long as they listen)

I have never had any trouble gravity bleeding brakes. On older stuff, of course.

I have had to tap the brake pedal a couple of times to get a proportion valve to cooperate with gravity bleeding. Most of the time I just wait it out.
If you understand the function of a P trap under a sink, you can picture what will happen in any brake line bend that resembles an inverted P trap. A tiny air pocket can remain there. If that spot should be as high or higher than the fluid level in the bowl, the bubble is more likely. This is why gravity bleeding on some vintage Corvettes simply will not work.

Does the hold off valve prevent flow until a pre determined pressure
is reached?

with all 4 corners bleeders open ... GENTLY apply brake pedal half way a couple of times until fluid starts to leak out ... USUALLY fronts will start first ...once you see fronts leak out close off front bleeders ... BUT not completely to allow some trickle of brake fluid out ... and leave rears open ... again gently apply brake pedal several times ... half way down until rears start to leak out .... once you get fluid from rears ... then gravity bleed all 4 corners ... once this is done ... you will either need second person to assit OR use a mighty vac .... to gurantee all air out .
hold off valve ...i would assume a restrictor ...

-
Back