blg block dist question

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
I have a lean burn dist from my 400. Is it possible to mod it to accept vacuum advance?

thanks

Nope, they don't have a moveable pickup plate or a mechanical advance either.

I want just an elecronic dizzy I can convert to Hei. Just gonna mount a module on the bottom as hei works well with megasquirt. I have a lean burn dist,but kinda knew it was no good for what I want. Too bad someone hasnt reinvented the wheel here,as there must be a ton of these dizzies around

You would have to swap the pickup plate for the movable type found in non lean burn style distributors and add the vacuum advance canister, you would still have no mechanical advance but the megasquirt should take care of that.

would still have no mechanical advance but the megasquirt should take care of that.

You sure? I haven't kept up on all the megasquirt stuff, last I knew you ran a "standard distributor."

EDIT see below

Im pretty sure the megasquirt is nothing to do with the ign,other than timing pulses to the injectors. However the megaquirt ii and iii can both control ign curves etc.

Im pretty sure the megasquirt is nothing to do with the ign,other than timing pulses to the injectors. However the megaquirt ii and iii can both control ign curves etc.

I just got back from the Megasquirt site. According to this article:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_vintage_mopar_engine.htm

"Using the MegaSquirt-I (MSnS-E) with Direct Coil Control"

You can pretty much use ANY Mopar dist. A partial quote from the article:

"Chrysler built several different variations on their "classic" VR type distributor, not including the number of different advance curves:

1. One VR sensor, with mechanical and vacuum advance
2. Two VR sensors, with mechanical and vacuum advance
3. Two VR sensors, with no advance mechanism
4. One VR sensor, with no advance mechanism

Most of the distributors you will see are either of the first or fourth kind, with the remaining two being seldom seen designs used with the earliest versions of the Lean Burn system. When setting up Megasquirt on your Mopar, you can use any of these four types. The most straightforward is the fourth type, with just one VR sensor and no advance mechanism. If your distributor has an advance mechanism, you must lock out the mechanical advance and disconnect the vacuum advance. If there are two VR sensors, simply ignore the second one."

Too funny! I was there too and came to the conclusion that a megaquirt II and my lean burn dizzy should be just fine together!

I was looking at an aftermarket dizzy,but I dont think I need it now.

-
Back