Blizzard 1978 cars at home

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Found a picture tonight of the house and cars after the blizzard that hit Indy in 1978

The van is my dad's, it ended up having an electrical fire later in the year

The Charger was my brother in law and sister. We drove to a Greenwood, In. to get it during the start of the snow storm, what is a normal 30 minute trip took us almost 3 hours to get back to the east side

My Aspen, bought new in 1977 and was my wife at the time daily driver.

View attachment image.jpg

wow that don't even look like a charger to me ...if you had not said ...I thought it was a pontiac

Attachments

• pontiac68tempestcustom1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 278
Cool pic ... I also had to go back and look at the charger ...lol.... I remember that storm very well ....our rural area was snowed in for a week.

We here on. Long Island had a blizzard that year as well. The snow piled as high as your shoveled mounds. The drifts covered and hide the entire first or of the local high school. At the time, I was pretty young. I watched my friends jump off of the second story roof into the drifts.

??Blizzard?? Heck 'round here that's just an "evening snow." LOL

w6ru40.jpg

Ah, the blizzard of '78.. Got up early the next morning and drove 36 miles to work in a '77 Roadrunner. Glad I put the chains on the night before....

View attachment MyChevy4x4.jpg

how I got around in the blizzard

View attachment Moms Slideshow 313.jpg

once it stopped snowing

View attachment 78BlizDuster.jpg

dads duster he was working nights at Chrysler and had to drive this home

View attachment 78BlizSheila.jpg

ex in front of moms and dads duster

I could go wherever I wanted as long as east and west. was laid off from Chrysler and helped mom at he nursing home she helped run

That Wednesday morning it started snowing and my sister and brother in law came home from Korea the day before. by later afternoon the snow had picked up along with the wind but we still made a trip from the east side of Indy to Greenwood in my Aspen. By the time we got there maybe 3" of snow and I told Rob that we should go and come back to look at the car. Well he bought it and off we went back to the east side

the next 4 days I got 7 hours sleep, pulled lots of cars free from snow banks, plowed a lot of snow and picked people up to work at the nursing home.

To be able to go north and south we went and picked up a Kawaski 440 snow mobile and my dad and Ken would put it in the back of 4x4 and go as far as he could then unload the sled and go pick up staff and bring back to the truck

it was more than these pictures show. I was just posting pictures of the cars. But I do have some snow shoots somewhere where I'm standing on a drift at the roof level of the nursing home.

at one point I couldn't push the snow and a guy with a bobcat opened up a path for me to be able to push the snow off the drive

Even though it was a long time and very stressful it is memories that will be with me forever

I used to ram snow banks with my 77 Gran Fury. The car was fine up to about 9 inches, then it would still go for a bit but the snow would build up and block the car...no problem, I would back up a ways and then go forward about 15 mph and hit the snow bank with my foot still on the gas, that would get me another 1/2 a block --how I first learned to drive using both feet, one on the gas and the left foot on the brake..today I still drive that way but no more ramming snow banks with these plastic junk bumpers and that air bag/bomb in the steering wheel, lol

I still recall the winters of 77/78, had to be in school at 7:15 each morning, it totally stunk..least they were cooler back then with skipping classes, lol.

Those old cars did pretty good when you think many cars still had point ignitions..the only cars that really stunk in the snow/cold were the Vettes, popping the hood open to play with the choke to start a car was almost normal back then but the Vette hood would shatter if you closed them hard in the cold....we used to laugh at those cars, here they cost more and were weaker in our eyes

This picture was taken in 1976 I believe? Near St. Cloud MN, dads 66 and grandpas 66 in the snow, the other is a 64 Dodge sedan that belongs to my uncle :glasses7:

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 128
  • scan0002.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 126
I lived in Bunker Hill on Base and the snow was so high it caved in our roof

-
Back