Blower Motor doesn't shut off.

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out why my blower motor wasn't working. Opened the hood and found it wasn't plugged in. Figured the previous owner just forgot to plug it back in. So plugged it back in and turned the key on, and found that it wouldn't shut off and it wouldn't change speed with the switch. So now I know why it wasn't plugged in, in the first place. So is this just a wiring issue, previous owner got their wires crossed, or is this common and some place I should start looking? This is in my 1976 Duster by the way.

Betcha a buck the switch fell apart inside and is making the contact.
You can test by just unplugging the wires from the switch and see if it stops.

Ok, next question how do you take the control panel out for the heater. I thought there would be some screws on the front and it would pull out of the front of the dash. But look like its attached from the back. The car was equipped with AC originally but non of it is hooked up any more if that matters.

It's attached to a bracket of some sort above the radio, kind of a booger to get to, for me at least. Pull the radio if you have one, it will make it easier, you'll be able to see the nuts you need to pull.

At least this is how it was on my 74 Sport, I can't imagine it changed a whole bunch.

The car was equipped with AC originally but non of it is hooked up any more if that matters.

On my car, there is no "off" position for the fan switch as the AC needs the blower to come on when any of the settings (other than off) are engaged. If there is no off position you could simply put an on/off switch between the power source and the blower switch.

Cheers

Steve

It's attached to a bracket of some sort above the radio, kind of a booger to get to, for me at least. Pull the radio if you have one, it will make it easier, you'll be able to see the nuts you need to pull.

At least this is how it was on my 74 Sport, I can't imagine it changed a whole bunch.

I like to pull the glove box and reach around. Not to thrilled about getting hand stuck in the radio hole.

-
Back