Blowing turn signal fuse

-

mopar383

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a 72 Dart that keeps blowing the turn signal fuse. The turn signals and aftermarket radio stop working. The four ways work fine. Could this be turn signal flasher ? I'm tracing wires now

If you have your radio tapped into the signal fuse, that may be why, it's possibly overloading the circuit.

Your first job is to find out what all is on that fuse. This is easy, you look it up in the factory shop manual, which you can download free, from MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Please know some of those came from the guys here on FABO. In the case of the 72, I think AbodyJoe

I would suspect the radio, but don't forget, bad / loose fuse holder clips can generate heat and cause the fuse to fail

Does it seem to be connected to the TS, that is when you use the signals it blows? If so does it matter which direction?

I would think fairly easy to pin down. If it blows in reverse, LOL, you know that's what probably did it.

If the fuse blows immediately at switch on the fault could be anywhere from the wiring of aftermarket radio to the neutral safety/reverse lamp switch or that 3 wire harness.
I don't think the radio is supposed to be on that fuse.

It blows as soon as key is in the on position. I do notice the fuse holder has a little rust on one side.

Ok I'm now heading in the right direction. I unplugged the rear harness installed a new fuse and it's not blowing. The turn signals are working or at least in the dash they are and the radio works with no issues. So something in that harness.

Well, that's a start. I would check the sockets in the back, also check and clean the grounds.

Well, that's a start. I would check the sockets in the back, also check and clean the grounds.

BUT, it could also be that you just lightened the load on that circuit.

I don't know if they are the same but my 76 duster blows same fuse when I shift into reverse so I just un pluged "neutral safty" sw and now it dosent blow.

Bad sport I thought about being that just took some of the load off . However with the harness plugged in it will blow the fuse as soon as the key is turned on. Unplugged I turn the key on and use the turnsignal with radio on and it's ok.

Mod 5 v I will look at that as well

Check where the rear harness goes under the rear seat, and of course all the harness in the trunk As above, "sockets"

From the description could be part of the dome harness going up and overhead

Rear harnesses were often hacked up for trailer light wiring. Something more to look for.

Rear harnesses were often hacked up for trailer light wiring. Something more to look for.

That too

This is the sight that greeted me when I went to improve the "White Whale"

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=290772

attachment.php

attachment.php

-
Back