blueprint 408

-
It's pretty much old news. Combine that with the fact that Blueprint now has 4 posts since a year ago, and 3 of them in this thread. It's more like strict damage control then a concerned builder. Compare to MRL, OU812, IQ52, Rob, etc. who may not be able to post daily or even weekly sometimes, but they maintain a presence and help when they can in addition to mentioning thier shops.

AJDuster- We have made some changes with personnel since then - absolutely. I wasn’t with the company at that time, so I can't speak of specifics, but I do know that several changes have been made over the years so we can continually improve.

My intent wasn't to piss you off. I am not saying we executed perfectly, far from it. If my post came across as blaming you, then that is my bad. I will buy you the next beer.

Andrew

Here are some of the pic's of the bearings, i will post more i'm have trouble with it uploading

AD71DUSTER

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 472
  • 002.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 475
More pic's sorry some are dark, on main cap #5 there was wear on the corner only,now please keep in mind there was no damage to the cam bearing at all,i don't think at this stage there was any damage to the rod bearings ether or i would have pic's also.but can't remember for 100%

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 007.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 449
More pic's last ones sorry for the multi post but that was the only way i could get them on here,yes some are of the same cap but different veiws

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 010.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 453
By the bearing wear,and lack of flycut on the mains.They look misaligned/out of round.

3/4 groove are supposed to be a mix of both the 1/2 and full groove, or "best of both worlds"

Let me guess, the Blueprint stuff that has caused grief was purchased through Summit Racing. If this is so, Summit needs to be made aware that Blueprint is building a crummy product and not providing decent warranty service. If we're advising folks to stay away from this stuff, they may take notice. Otherwise, Summit is exposed for living by P.T. Barnum's pronouncement, "There's a sucker born every minute."

It looks more to me like a crank with journal taper, main bore out of round, or the crank flexing. That's not crap in the oil or convertor ballooning either way. The bearing would have signs of material embedding and much more scaring that would run all around the bearing surface.
What crank was used in this build? How was it balanced (inernal/external)?

Let me guess, the Blueprint stuff that has caused grief was purchased through Summit Racing. If this is so, Summit needs to be made aware that Blueprint is building a crummy product and not providing decent warranty service. If we're advising folks to stay away from this stuff, they may take notice. Otherwise, Summit is exposed for living by P.T. Barnum's pronouncement, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Agreed, BUT, the warranty issue was handled very nicely. It had NO warranty, because they do not warranty short blocks, as he stated. I think they should be commended for stepping up and warrantying it anyway, even though it did take a long time. The OP still didn't have to come out of pocket, because they did finally warranty his engine.....even though they did not have to. If they work their quality control issues out, they would be supplying a nice product at a very reasonable cost.

BOBS = Bolt On Bull ****.

Tear it down and inspect it. I agree will all of you that you should have the confidance to install out of the box. I assumed that with a set of Eddie Alum. heads. Good thing I stripped them down after finding swarf. It could of cost me an engine. Eddie Customer support was no help at all.

Most manufactures or lets say "assembled in the USA" are playing risk management with your money. Say I had put the Eddie heads on and cooked my engine with out checking the heads. I don't have a leg to stand on to prove it was poor quality control by Eddie. Same goes for an engine or supercharger. You (the customer) must of done something wrong has been the policy.

I fore one do not mind paying top buck for what I am told I'm buying. It's like insurance.
Take "bolt On" with a dead sea of salt. There is alot of lip service out there.

Good luck

BOBS = Bolt On Bull ****.

Tear it down and inspect it. I agree will all of you that you should have the confidance to install out of the box. I assumed that with a set of Eddie Alum. heads. Good thing I stripped them down after finding swarf. It could of cost me an engine. Eddie Customer support was no help at all.

Most manufactures or lets say "assembled in the USA" are playing risk management with your money. Say I had put the Eddie heads on and cooked my engine with out checking the heads. I don't have a leg to stand on to prove it was poor quality control by Eddie. Same goes for an engine or supercharger. You (the customer) must of done something wrong has been the policy.

I fore one do not mind paying top buck for what I am told I'm buying. It's like insurance.
Take "bolt On" with a dead sea of salt. There is alot of lip service out there.

Good luck

amen on the EDDY heads... my victors had banana shaped guides and messed up seats lol...

...........When we buy we are assuming that were getting a quality product....an out of round crank or misaligned saddles is not quality, not even close.....i personally dont see how any manufacture can put out crap and keep getting away with it....every alum heads needs work, no matter where it comes from.....how the hell can that be when ur given the speel that u can just bolt them on and go.......not a chance.......I'm not saying that everything aftermarket is crap, but my god cant we atleast get something good for the money we are paying.....when they claim that there product is a plug and play, it dam well should be......kim........

...........When we buy we are assuming that were getting a quality product....an out of round crank or misaligned saddles is not quality, not even close.....i personally dont see how any manufacture can put out crap and keep getting away with it....every alum heads needs work, no matter where it comes from.....how the hell can that be when ur given the speel that u can just bolt them on and go.......not a chance.......I'm not saying that everything aftermarket is crap, but my god cant we atleast get something good for the money we are paying.....when they claim that there product is a plug and play, it dam well should be......kim........

Pretty simple. Because people keep buyin it.

Pretty simple. Because people keep buyin it.

I think it's a combination of things... Most of us have some sort of faith that advertising is 100% true - and in some cases it is. Some of us will accept that parts that are bolted on and they run and are running at optimum levels when reality is they aren't. Modern business cases assume a certain amount of bad units with the production too... The end result is by saying "bolt on and go" ends up being successful in enough of the cases that it's acceptable.

I bought the SB from JEG, I call the sales rep from Jeg and he passed me off to Blue print and the last I saw jegs still sells them. they say that the crank at that time was a external balanced scat crank. but I'm really glad to see that even with my poor pic's you could see that the issue was there's not mine, BUT I paid 2G's for this SB with in 300 miles it started to knock. this product from them had no QC at all and thats why I could not let it go my Dad taught me better than that wrong is wrong,so when they start with all there BS it just made me push hard to make them get it right.like I said the new short block the sent me is working just great no problems it has great oil pressure. I will never buy another engine from them and I continue to tell my side of the story when needed
I would like thank Blue print engine because of all the issue's I had I found this web site. I'm on almost every day, granded I post much but i read alot and learn alot some of you make me feel like i have so much more to learn, Thanks for your support on my issue,
just for info the org post about this problem were around 12/09 on this web site

AJ71DUSTER

I think it's a combination of things... Most of us have some sort of faith that advertising is 100% true - and in some cases it is. Some of us will accept that parts that are bolted on and they run and are running at optimum levels when reality is they aren't. Modern business cases assume a certain amount of bad units with the production too... The end result is by saying "bolt on and go" ends up being successful in enough of the cases that it's acceptable.

In my Aviation Quality Assurance world we call this "Risk Management". I personally find it unacceptable. However, Transport Canada and the FAA consider a % of failures (accidents) acceptable. Regarding your statement above it seems that I am always the receiver of the one in a thousand bad units...LOL. How do we get the manufacturers to "buck up". What we are doing here is the best start. Victims talking to victims of playing the odds.

The manufacturer/supply is the hub of all the failures and you can rest assured that they want to cover it up and sugar coat it. Bell, Boeing, Cessna to name a few all do it. That why the authorities issue something to the operators called an Airworthiness Directives (AD). Sometimes with and sometimes without the OEM's assistance or cooperation.

I'm gathering information on a failure of a "Right Stuff" disc brake conversion kit for you guys now. Had it happened on the road or track there would of been nasty results.

Manufacture/Suppliers are only going to correct problems if they have to. It cost money. How? Pressure from us the customer on forms like this where they have no control. Having said that. I want to give Andrew full credit for offering direct assistance here on FABO.

When I have all my info I will post it under "Alert / Right Stuff". I would also like to suggest to the administrators that FABO has a section or form or bulletin board to present Alerts to FABO members. No a place for sour grapes or poor customer service but, a place for FABO members to list safely, defect and poor design info based on step by step facts. This is what I did before I retired.

Attachments

• helicopter.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 360
In my Aviation Quality Assurance world we call this "Risk Management". I personally find it unacceptable. However, Transport Canada and the FAA consider a % of failures (accidents) acceptable. Regarding your statement above it seems that I am always the receiver of the one in a thousand bad units...LOL. How do we get the manufacturers to "buck up". What we are doing here is the best start. Victims talking to victims of playing the odds.

The manufacturer/supply is the hub of all the failures and you can rest assured that they want to cover it up and sugar coat it. Bell, Boeing, Cessna to name a few all do it. That why the authorities issue something to the operators called an Airworthiness Directives (AD). Sometimes with and sometimes without the OEM's assistance or cooperation.

I'm gathering information on a failure of a "Right Stuff" disc brake conversion kit for you guys now. Had it happened on the road or track there would of been nasty results.

Manufacture/Suppliers are only going to correct problems if they have to. It cost money. How? Pressure from us the customer on forms like this where they have no control. Having said that. I want to give Andrew full credit for offering direct assistance here on FABO.

When I have all my info I will post it under "Alert / Right Stuff". I would also like to suggest to the administrators that FABO has a section or form or bulletin board to present Alerts to FABO members. No a place for sour grapes or poor customer service but, a place for FABO members to list safely, defect and poor design info based on step by step facts. This is what I did before I retired.

crashed helicopters??? LOL :banghead::banghead:

-
Back