Bob Bondurant Has Left Us

-
May he RIP. I met him about 20 years ago at Laguna Seca. Not as well known now as he was back in the day. A motorsports legend..

I never had the money to go to his weekend driving school down at Sears Point back in the 80's. :( When my dad would take me down to the track, I would always look at his school's cars.

Geez had not thought of him in years. No idea he had been even still alive. RIP.

Sad news indeed!

I’ve been to his school for three classes and the first couple of times he was there every day. The first year my brother and I were in the Vipers and, as your ripping along the straightaway, you need to be heavy on the brakes and downshifting before entering turn #1. I could see Bob was up on the flag stand/crows perch looking down at the cars passing by one morning. We all got back into the classroom after track time and Bob came in and said “Who was in cars #17 and #11?” My brother and I raised our hands and Bob commented on the nice downshifting he heard that session.

The third time we were there he was already in the old folks home.

It was a pleasure getting a compliment from a legend.

The third time we were there he was already in the old folks home.

Sad and maddening. I have an "communications" friend--was at one time a Maritime radiotelegraph operator........now in a care facility........war of some kind amoungst the family......and now his home is some kind of bullshit receivership. It is a fairly valuable place with property, and he had thousands of dollars in various electronic equipment.. So it's all going to be eaten up by lawyers AND THE STATE OF WASHINGTON

And of course he's now had a couple of strokes and really cannot even handle the telephone. It's hundreds of miles from here, so going there is not an option

-
Back