Body Filler Question

-

bwillaub

Reaction score
Recently purchased a '72 Dodge Dart Demon. There is a lot of amateur body work on the car that leaves a lot to be desired. Can a person apply new filler over old filler? Thanks.

I wouldn't. Filler has changed/improved over the years. When the old shrinks, cracks, falls off, it takes the new with it.

I agree with redfish. don't take a chance with old filler. I don't think you want to take that gamble.

Plus, you don't know how deep the old stuff is, or what it's hiding. Take it out, boy scout....

Grind her out and then you know what you are working with. If you can heat the areas with a torch first it will help soften them up so you can dig around on them to see just how bad they are. Go easy so you dont warp the panel and make it worse than it was. Wear a dust mask or a half face respirator when you go to removing the old junk.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the info as I am a amateur myself. Here is a pic as she was when I bought her.

Attachments

• DART HOMECOMING2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 265
She originally had a vinyl top and you know what that does to the metal! Thanks again, guys.

Plus, when you are done, you will have the satisfaction of knowing EXACTLY what is under the paint.

One tip, get your metal work as right as you can before you think about filler. The filler is only a surface enhancer. 1/8" - 1/4" thick at the very most. I just got this one back from metal work and there were 4 areas I couldn't get to from the back side so I tack welded studs to the panels and worked them out with the slide hammer. Whole lot better than slathering on the filler.

Take it out. Chances are, they filled in rust holes with it. If so, it needs to be replaced with new metal. If it's just filling dents, pound/pull the dents out and get as smooth as you can with a hammer and dolly, then use filler to smooth it out.

You can generally tell how thick it is w/ a magnet. Thin filler is no problem. Indeed, on the car shows they often skim the entire body w/ filler then sand it smooth, but they are going for a "better than factory" super-shiny look w/ a $15k paint job.

looks like you have one to many words Recently purchased a '72 Dodge Dart "Demon"

You can generally tell how thick it is w/ a magnet. Thin filler is no problem. Indeed, on the car shows they often skim the entire body w/ filler then sand it smooth, but they are going for a "better than factory" super-shiny look w/ a $15k paint job.

Most of the guys on tv are making money off tv. If they could actually build a car, they'd make money off the builds, not the residuals from the tv contract. The real car builders know the tricks of the trade to level metal without the overuse of filler.

Filler should only be used at a minimum. Even an 1/8" is too much in my opinion.

Most of the guys on tv are making money off tv. If they could actually build a car, they'd make money off the builds, not the residuals from the tv contract. The real car builders know the tricks of the trade to level metal without the overuse of filler.

Filler should only be used at a minimum. Even an 1/8" is too much in my opinion.

agree with the last post. 1/16 should be max. --not a body man but a good friend is.

Unknown body work strip it, factory paint is ok to paint over.
I can see this in your future, when your panels look like this you can add filler.

nbv2Yh.jpg

Good advice here. I've actually taken out old filler from someone else's work and found that it didn't need as much as they had put in. Repair was too high.

Yes. You can. You'll be sorry if you do.

-
Back