Body guy did me a favor

-

scamper340

Reaction score
When I got the Scamp painted, the guy who did the work thought he'd help me out and sand blast and paint my k-member and front suspension. Although I appreciate his enthusiasm, after I got it home, I jacked up the front end and turned the front wheels, and I could just hear the grinding from all the sand. Ugh! Like we used to say in the Marine Corps, good initiative, bad judgement, lol. So, now I have to tear the whole front end apart and try and get all the sand out. Oh well, I was meaning to get a parts washer anyway. :toothy10: Do you guys think this is worth the effort, or should I just say to hell with it and get the poly kit instead? I was doing it on the cheap when I rebuilt the front end and went with rubber replacements. Is it possible to get all the sand out by dunking the ball joints and tie-rod ends?

I would replace the ball joints and tie rod ends at a minimum. There is no sure what to get all of the sand out.

When I got the Scamp painted, the guy who did the work thought he'd help me out and sand blast and paint my k-member and front suspension. Although I appreciate his enthusiasm, after I got it home, I jacked up the front end and turned the front wheels, and I could just hear the grinding from all the sand. Ugh! Like we used to say in the Marine Corps, good initiative, bad judgement, lol. So, now I have to tear the whole front end apart and try and get all the sand out. Oh well, I was meaning to get a parts washer anyway. :toothy10: Do you guys think this is worth the effort, or should I just say to hell with it and get the poly kit instead? I was doing it on the cheap when I rebuilt the front end and went with rubber replacements. Is it possible to get all the sand out by dunking the ball joints and tie-rod ends?

I would pressure wash everything really, really good and say the heck with it unless you are going to rebuild the front end anyways. After the pressure wash I would grease everything up. Do you think the sand got inside the ball joints? Are the ball joints and tie rod covers in good condition? If not I would have rebuild on my agendia.

If your car is not a corner burning slalom racer or all out drifter I would stick with an all rubber front end kit. The polys are hard and make for a lot of noise from both the inevitable squeeks (even the graphites will squeek a little) and from road noise transfered thru the suspension.

Was the engine in place when this work was done? If so I would be thinking about a tear down, a buddy of mine had similar work done and when we pulled the air cleaner off there was sand INSIDE of it and down into the intake. This was all discovered after he got it home. We know that it was started and run to move it in and out of the shop that was doing the work. Needless to say, that sand is VERY destructive to the internals of an engine and he needed to rebuild the 383. Same goes for transmissions and rear ends, they do not like to be sand blasted.

I've got most of the supension off right now, just need to pull the torsion bars, lower control arms and k-frame. He dropped the k-member and front suspension as a unit and blasted/painted everything gloss black. I had intended to do some welding on the k-member and lower control arms to beef them up, and get some powder coating done. I never asked him to paint the k-frame or suspension for just that reason. I'm still paying him for the work, do you think I'd be out of line if I ask him to deduct the cost of a front end kit? Thanks for the suggestion TheBestCar, I'll consider a graphite kit and stay away from the poly.

I've got most of the supension off right now, just need to pull the torsion bars, lower control arms and k-frame. He dropped the k-member and front suspension as a unit and blasted/painted everything gloss black. I had intended to do some welding on the k-member and lower control arms to beef them up, and get some powder coating done. I never asked him to paint the k-frame or suspension for just that reason. I'm still paying him for the work, do you think I'd be out of line if I ask him to deduct the cost of a front end kit? Thanks for the suggestion TheBestCar, I'll consider a graphite kit and stay away from the poly.

I went with rubber on my car because it's a convertible and I don't really want to hear all the squeaks. I sent my suspension to the powdercoater and it was $150 for everything. My complete rebuild kit was $350. I'd have him pay one or the other.

I would make him deduct the cost of the front end kit Pluse a lil more for labor. He took it upon him self to drop the front end to sand blast and paint.

-
Back