Body man question.

-

Badart

Reaction score
What is the best body panel adhesive when using fiberglass to steel? My hood scoop does attach underneath with hardware, but I would like to use adhesive around the edges. It would mainly be to hold down the edges. Thanks

It will crack around the edges as fiberglass and steel resonate at different frequencies. On my cowl hood I took it down to bare metal put BIG scratches in it then used panel bond and 53 pop rivets. I made sure it was reinforced all the way around buy welding the vents up. I then smoothed it out with a layer of duraglass and then regular mud.

DCP_4498.JPGr.jpg

DCP_4499.JPGr.jpg

DCP_4502.JPGr.jpg

I have never seen a hood scoop to hood bond ever last, ever.

Not to disappoint you ive seen many shops do it, along with mine, we put a cowl hood on my boss' chevy truck, did everything overkill and it still ended up cracking.

IT WILL eventually crack, is all i can say from what ive seen.

We ended up taking that hood scoop off the chevy truck when it cracked, cleaned up the edge, and he just sat it on top of a elcameno(however its spelled) hood lined the edge(of the hood scoop) with a plastic type protector, to make the edlge look clean, then riveted it right to the hood , also painted the rivits, it looks good, its not 'smooth' but vs cracking id do that any day.

Its been on the car/truck for over a year and a half w/o problems always outside too

but on a side note, we typically use fuzor or 3m stuff, i know fuzor makes something for this but i dont have the PN sheet in front of me

Guys,

The OEM's have been bonding composite materials to steel for years. The Fiero, APV, SSR, early Saturn, Buick Reatta, Corvette, Viper, and a host of others were all glued together.

From my recolection 3M , KOCH, BASF , and Dupont sold adhesives to the true domestic Big 3.

I've personally used the 3M material with no ill effects. I'd contact the 3M OEM division first.

sscuda

Guys,

The OEM's have been bonding composite materials to steel for years. The Fiero, APV, SSR, early Saturn, Buick Reatta, Corvette, Viper, and a host of others were all glued together.

From my recolection 3M , KOCH, BASF , and Dupont sold adhesives to the true domestic Big 3.

I've personally used the 3M material with no ill effects. I'd contact the 3M OEM division first.

sscuda

but not smoothed in. The 3m panel bond that I use is amazing stuff ($45 a small tube,you can glue 1/4 on a car with it) but it will still most likely crack over time, because of the different vibration frequencies. I might get lucky but I doubt it. The only way I know of for a glued and smoothed panel not to crack is to not drive the car.

Good info guys. What if I champfered the edges of the holes and used flat head stainless bolts so they are flush. I would still like to smooth out the edges with mud if possible. Is there any special way to drill fiberglass without it cracking? Any tricks? I have never messed with it before. Thanks.

I believe duralast is the brand and the product is called allumiglass for smoothing the edges and bonding fiberglass to metal. Works great and never had a problem with cracking and I live in the midwest. Then a thin skim coat of bondo and your in buisness.

-
Back