Body shop dust and engines!!

-

Boxer

Reaction score
I currently have my car getting finish paint, the body is 85% complete. I had that much of the body work done as well as the underneath, engine compartment, trunk and dash painted. I then got it back and installed new 426 stroker and all drive components. I have been told that having a fresh motor in a body shop is an absolute taboo. I wrapped the motor tight (I thought), and it is on casters so it will not be started while there. The engine builder said to get that engine out of there ASAP. This would require me to pick the car up again (hour away) trailer it back and take motor, trans, back out. How worried do I need to be here??

If you wrapped it up tight with plastic, I don't think you have that much to worry about. It's body filler dust, not metal shavings...

Thats silly. It's got an air filter on it, right ?

Unless dirt/dust/grit gets in the intake manifold, valve covers, or exhaust ports its not going to do any harm to the engine. I like wrapping them up with sandwich wrap, the plastic roles that are sticky, that seals them up real tight.

I wonder if he is more concerned about contamination from silicone's or some
think that will contaminate the air like wd40 . Sounds weird to me.
I water the floor down and keep it watered down to keep from creating dust
But I have never had to take a motor out. He needs to back tape it any way
to start a new line, Paper across engine bay that has been painted and take off painting from there, But that was years ago.
Makes ya want to go hmmm.

Did he tell you WHY you needed to get it out of there ASAP? I'm kind of agreeing with Mike in that he's probably more worried about silicones and such F'n up the paint job .. The engine should be totally fine..

my .02

Kenny

Sounds kinda silly since probably 90% of cars in body shops have their engines still in them :-?

If you've got it wrapped up tight there shouldn't be an issue IMHO. I agree with 70_Duster_340 about asking the engine builder what his reasoning is behind this.......

As long as the carb is covered whats going to happen ? Dust wont make its way through cast iron.

maybe he had problems with another customer with there engine being left in and dosent want to take a chance or maybe he wants to move it in and out alot, and wants it to be easy to move. you need to find out why.

As long as the carb is covered whats going to happen ? Dust wont make its way through cast iron.

Correct.. as long as the carb is covered up you are good to go. I've cleaned my motor with soap and water before with no problems but I made sure the carb was covered. So if water didn't get in the motor how would dust?

"dust" in a body shop contains metal bits. Run a magnet thru a pile after the floor is swept... The issue is these particles are small enough to go thru typical air cleaners and go past rings and stuff. It can wipe the ring seal if there is a lot of it. It's entirely posssible. I don't do engine work when I'm doing body work. If it's sealed 100% (I use a large trash bag or 2 and tape it shut) than you are ok. but it's not just filler dust and overspray.

I would just tape a bag over the carb and cover the motor the best you can.

On 70 Duster I had similar concerns about body dust. After the body work was complete the engine bay was painted. Then I installed the engine. Then the rest of the car was painted. The reason the body man suggested doing it this way was that if any scratches occurred while installing the engine, it could be touched up in the final paint job. In the picture you will notice the cover over the carb and the plastic plug over the thermostat housing. The rest of the engine is likewise sealed with plastic plugs and taped over.

IMG_1658.JPG

Picture 204.jpg

If you have a warranty for your motor with the engine builder you might want to heed his advice whether or not there is a real issue. If something goes wrong with your motor later he won't be able to point at that and say it's your fault.

-
Back