Bodyshop #2....

-
388dart said:
She said " Let's go to the scooter show in Manhatten so I can meet Indian Larry"

THAT :thumbup: is one cool pic.

She has that one on her desk at work. Very strange for the corporate world.....

388dart said:
Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one. :clock:

Back to Indian Larry: Your right, tomorrow is guarantted to no one. Provided I'm not cooking with a miserable fever tomorrow morning I'm headed out to the shop with intentions of having the shitbox made pretty.

Thanks for everyones input.

Good luck and let the mopar gods be with you and also with me! Just remember as I do...when its done, whenever that may be, it will be well worth it!

I have 21K $ and counting in my Fastback and I have done almost everything by myself.
But then we have to add 35% to the items for taxes and customs when we shop from the US.
And I don`t regret a single cent.

Kopia av aug-06 042.jpg

I must admitt: Between Swedefish and Longgone posting pictures of their beautiful cars I'm looking forward to posting pictures of a Turquoise`68 Fastback.

BTW: New kink for tomorrow. My friend with the Suburban and trailer (I'm using tomorrow)has gone MIA for 2 days.... I'm hoping he's OK.

Thanks for the kind words.
I`m looking forward to the pic of a Fastback with new paint :thumbup:
It will look great in turquoise.

1-13-06 UPDATE:

John is sicker than he's ever been in over 25 yrs..... fever is back (101.1) and I feel like crap. My buddy Tom (with the truck & trailer) called last night and I meet him in a few hours. PLUS my best friend and his buddy are coming out also "just in case I'm not up to dealing with bullshit". TRANSLATION: Baseball bats are packed in the car "just in case".

I hope everthing goes smoothly....:toothy7:

OK.... no arrests were made. No broken bones. No hassles. Recieved my car, my parts, and my CASH from shop #1. Pack up my stuff and wished him a nice day. Arrived at shop #2 and the head body guy had a look on his face like " Oh ****...what did I get involved with?" when he saw my car. When I asked him if he was scared of a challenge, he said he's not afraid of anything. Looks like 3-4 months from now I'll be a happy boy. Needless to say, everyone will be kept abreast of further developments.

BTW: Fever has been under control and I feel "pretty good". But I also said that yesterday before my temperture skyrocketed again last night....:|

Sounds like things might be turning around for you John,hope it works out this time!

EvilScamp said:
Sounds like things might be turning around for you John,hope it works out this time!

Yeah, I think it might work this time around. Shop #1 lost his body guy and I think he was trying to keep commitments while not losing work. Shop #2 is more professional in the sense that while it might cost me more, I think I'll be happier with the outcome.

Looks like I might be cruising before next fall. My fingers are crossed!

Keep us informed. I hope to be cruising too by fall. I'll keep my fingers, toes, arms, legs and boobs crossed for ya. just kidding on the boobs.

Before getting any expensive paint job, you gotta ask yourself "will I be afraid of driving it (and chipping or scratching the paint)? My car has a very nice lacquer paint job that was done over 20 years ago. Its very fragile and chips very easily. I drive it anywhere (well, not down dirt or gravel roads). When it gets too bad it'll get painted again. Thank god its black and thank god for black Sharpie markers. No expensive paint job is worth it when it stops you from driving it whenever you feel like it. I personally wouldn't spend that much on paint, but I'm cheap. I've done the "do all the prep work and take it to Maaco for the $500 special" and it has come out very nice. At least your wife is behind you. I catch hell when I spend $100.

20 grand is alot of money. But if you think of it. This is your car, you will get it the way you want it and you know what's have been done to it. That by itself can be worth alot more! And after all, it's a damm great Mopar!

Hey John, he's not afraid of anything? GOOD. I have a nightmare in the garage for him. Where is he at?

Depending on the amount of body work needed prior to paint, $8,000 isn't that much (if you say it fast) I do all my own body and paint and if you want to do a quality job, you go through a lot of supplies, primers, sand papaer, tape, degreaser, etc., plus the actual cost of the paint, it adds up fast. If you want it to be dead straight, you have to block and prime it many times over, this takes a ton of time and material/supplies. You can easily spend over 100 hours on it and at $50/hr that too adds up. Then color sand and buff, more materials and labour. If you take it to one of those $400 places, they scuff the old paint and shoot a thin coat or two on it and they're done, looks ok if you're not picky. You get what you pay for, hopefully, if it's a qulaity shop anyway. Anyone that has ever done all the body and paint on thier own car can appreciate how labour intensive it is plus how much all the materials add up to. Good luck, I hope it comes out great.

When I got my dart done, I found out just what it took to do one the way you want it. I helped in the guy that did mind, several evenings after work and also many weekends. I came away knowing why they charge what they do....They earn it !!! The sanding , the blocking..over and over again, then the material. I did mind about 5 yrs , the cost was around $8500 and I had the car striped and the motor and tranny was pulled. It was worth every penny , because I could have never made it look like he did. As for driving it...yes , I'm afraid of chips but I do drive , that's what I put it together. Well my 2 cents ...anyway .....

:wav:

-
Back