Bodyshop #2....

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I just got home from interviewing shop #2 to possibly paint my car. Nice place...nice crew.... NICE work. But at a price... initial quote was between 8-10K. But I was promised perfection.

I dunno... I love my car, but sinking another 10K, PLUS all the little bullshit odds-n-ends, has me uneasy. I'm into it now for close to 8K. When finished it'll be close to $20,000. I'm not saying "money is no object...", but DAMN!
eck01.gif

General consensus: Should I go with it, or sell everything and buy a finished car, not knowing WHAT I'm buying into? I'd really like to see my crate finished...

Lord, show me a SIGN!
683.gif

FASTBACK340 said:
I it'll be close to $20,000. I'm not saying "money is no object...", but DAMN!
eck01.gif

General consensus: Should I go with it, or sell everything and buy a finished car, not knowing WHAT I'm buying into? I'd really like to see my crate finished...

Lord, show me a SIGN!
683.gif
20 grand is 20 grand either way. the only difference is the money will be spent your way on what you wanted vs. someone elses dreams. isn't piece of mind worth that? you may have spent 20 grand on some other car that has a doctored up motor that looks good only on the outside! you can't lose, it is a mopar, that will only go up in value.

You could do a lot of the work yourself, if not all of it. If you can't handle doing the whole job, you can surely remove trim, bumpers, etc.. You could also do a majority of the prep work yourself instead of paying some body shop $50 to $100 an hour to do it. You could even tape it off, delivering a car to the painter that only needs finish prep before paint, then you could do all the reinstallation of trim, etc.. You could cut the labor at least in half by doing this. There is a good article in the Jan. issue of Mopar Muscle on this that could help you a lot. Mike

John, I'm often asked about my addiction, err, I mean hobby. It is mostly a question of cost.
Sometimes I ask them, lets talk about it in a different way. (I lead the convo direction) I ask them, if you had the money, as in cash, to purchase a car, ($40,000 limit) brand spanking new, What current American Muscle car would you get?

There answers vary some. But the cars allways cost about 30G's. After all, the lo-po version is cheaper, and thats not fun. And not what they really want.
Then I go back to there dream muscle ride. I tell them, it's really down to ethier purchasing a new muscle ride at the sticker or better or get what you want and do it how you want and be happy. It'll cost the same as a new car everytime if not more.

(Of course they ask how can it be more and it is really down to how much you do on your own or farm out.)

49 out of 50 walk away from spending the money on there dream ride and go away shaking there head while there dream goes pop!
That one that stays behind ends up getting into the dream and starts living it. Soon, in his head that idea of owning THAT car becomes real and his result after all the discusting times melt away with THAT ride stared at and envied.

It's never easy doing something worth while. Thats why victory is sweet.
Thats why theres allways more people at car shows with drool down there mouths staring at the cars they used to/wished they owned. Broken dreams and dreamers looking at there fantasy.

(Ha ha ha poor suckers.)

While 20G's is alot of money and I'll not talk you into spending it, you might have wished I did after you sell it.
If it takes 3 more years to save for it, save for it. Just drive it between now and then so you can enjoy it.

Think it over.

John, $20,000 is a lot of money. But...... it will be done the way you want it. If you buy a car say for $10,000-$15,000 you know you'll still end up sinking money in it to make it yours. Remeber how nice Bretts 68 is. He was in to his for over $30,000. Hell Ive got $5000 in the Scamp already counting the what I feel is a fare price for the car.

i have about 6800 in my scamp and i atleast plan on spending about 10000 more to make it what i want

My Wife gave me a verbal assault earlier tonight. Believe it or not, she's encouraging me to SPEND WHATEVER IT TAKES to finish the sunofabitch.... While her perspective may be slightly outta-whack, I understand her intentions. I'm not getting any younger and this (Lord knows...) might be my last stab at owning what really blows my hair back. She mentioned also about how I'd be pissed off at myself for selling it... or buying a nightmare. Soooo....

I know my car is solid.
I know my car is "being done right"... so far.
I know my car.

<sigh...> Thank God we're both earning decent money and have manageable expenses. Looks like I'll be discussing details with the shop.

Barracuda015-vi.jpg

Provided they WANT to do my car after they see it. :|

hi john,
i have a 70 dart swinger, it's been in the building stage
since 1997. it's been through 2 owner before me, i bought
it right and it's 3/4 done. it's not exactly what i wanted,
i had my heart set on a 73-74 'cuda.
i will finish this car, and enjoy it, but i will alway's be on
the lookout for a 'cuda.
i owned one before and i will again.
it's what i see myself in when i dream.
if you aren't totally committed to this car i don't think i would
spend 10k to finish it.
i would spend 4k ,get it done decent, enjoy driving it.
if it is your dream car, you will never be satisfied until its perfect.
spend the 10g's and then some, you'll have your dream car
done your way.
good luck,
longarm

I would think that a killer paint job and minimal body work could be had in the 5K range, but who knows? If this shop promises you perfection and starts WORKING ON IT right away, then maybe you should go for it. You said it best John, you KNOW your car! Come join the 20K club!

IM000817 (Small).JPG

Longgone said:
Come join the 20K club!

That's funny ! Only problem is, with my luck it'll cost me $30,000!

BTW: Sweet car Dude!

FASTBACK340 said:
That's funny ! Only problem is, with my luck it'll cost me $30,000!BTW: Sweet car Dude!

There`s always going to be additional expense. **** happens......especially when you mix gasoline, sparks, and metal parts spinning at outrageous rpm`s, all governed by controlled explosions! As a lot of people have said before though , when it`s all ON ,it`s hard to wipe the **** eating grin off your face! I`m soon to spend some more myself as I`m thinking of building a 500 ci 440 and putting a 5 spd. behind it. Restoring these cars is kinda` like playing the stock market, if you stay in it through thick and thin there`s a great payoff in the end. I hope this 2nd shop treats you right, and I look forward to seeing pictures of the B`cuda with new paint........ P.S. Thanks, I love my B`cuda.

Is that Canadian or US dollars John. Sorry I couldn't help myself. Look John if you're like me, and it sounds like you might be, you know how hard it's going to be to find another car that's finished the way that you'll be completely
happy with. Therefore you're going to end up spending a lot more money for such things as a paint job to make it right. If you can afford it and the body shop can show you real good examples of their work I'd go with them. I'm a firm believer in the proverbs of my hero Clint Eastwood, that is "you got to know your limitations". Me for example I don't do body work or paint jobs so I find people who's job it is to do those things and am prepared to pay for it. The guy that does my body work and paint also nows that I believe in those same proverbs like "I know where you live so don't screw it up". My other favorite "its only money and you can't take it with you".

I'm glad we had this talk, crazy Terry :burnout:

I am going to let my wife read this!!!
I think yall have something here. :thumbup:
Maken memories is well worth the buck.
At our age :toothy7:

wow i was expecting to read "the wife wouldnt let me spend the money" but she does have a point, you know what you've got, no surprises and such, its good you found a shop that wants to work on it. Good luck with it all, and yeah you aint getting any younger. cant wait to see the finish project :toothy7:

she's encouraging me to SPEND WHATEVER IT TAKES to finish the sunofabitch....
RE-marry her, quick. That kind of response is far and few.

If you do it, spend the extra you can afford and upgrade what parts you can while it is apart. I have had two cars painted and recycled some parts I shouldn't have.

FASTBACK340 said:
I just got home from interviewing shop #2 to possibly paint my car. Nice place...nice crew.... NICE work. But at a price... initial quote was between 8-10K. But I was promised perfection.

I dunno... I love my car, but sinking another 10K, PLUS all the little bullshit odds-n-ends, has me uneasy. I'm into it now for close to 8K. When finished it'll be close to $20,000. I'm not saying "money is no object...", but DAMN!
eck01.gif

Lord, show me a SIGN!
683.gif

I had a body shop quote me $1000-1500 if I do all the bodywork myself, all they do is shoot sealer and my choice of color with a single-stage dupont (Delstar is what I wanted). I had another body shop quote me $2000 for the same project. I was planning to do the trunk, underside and underhood myself, they were just going to do the jambs. I also agreed to strip all the trim, bumpers, door handles, tail lights, etc, so they dont have to do any masking. I am also planning on aligning all the body panels myself. I looked at their work and it looked good to me. I am not looking for a Ridler award winner, just something equal to a factory finish that I can drive around. A lot of people get carried away with the bodywork, but I am not expecting anything better than what the factory did in 1968.

And I dont think that base/clear looks good on a muscle car. I asked my local English Color (paint supply) for a recommendation. If you look around, you will find a good body shop that does good work for an honest amount. Believe it or not, this was a bodyshop in back of a used BMW dealer.

The price you get will be different depending on ewhat they have to do, things like rust repair, trim removal and reinstallation, and dent repair will jack up the price. I had a friend that used to buy clean cars, do the performance mods, them strip the bodys of all trim, take them to Maaco to be painted a light non-metallic color, and he always had a really good looking car when he was done for a $400 paint job.

Well, I never expect things to go smoothly.... I went to the doctors office last night because I had a 102.6 fever. Yeah....the flu. I just slept 14 hours straight and feel kinda better. Hopefully I'll be able to go grab my car tomorrow.

And you guys are right, my wife is VERY cool about me & my hobbies. That's why when she says "let's go here....let's do that...I want a new...." I NEVER say no. Yeah...she's a keeper.

AmyIndianLarry2-vi.jpg

When she said " Let's go to the scooter show in Manhatten so I can meet Indian Larry" I said we'd do our best. This photograph was taken less than 6 months before his passing. I'm glad we did it.

John, I have had the same fears about my 69 cuda. I have already done a great deal of work myself. I borrowed my friends rack and put the cuda on it. I had the whole car sandblasted (@600.00) then I preped and primed the entire car myself, and I put ALL but the outer panels in paint (guessing @500.00). Of course did all the work under the guidence of my friend at his bodyshop. So when the car was ready to go back to the body shop for paint all they had to do was do the finish body work dents & dings etc, as there is No rust. I had two shops that said they would finish it for $6000.00. One of which was my friend. I also had a couple guys much higher. Speaking from his point of view there is a lot of work involved in a resto. He feels he will have around 200hrs to FINISH mine. If you figure $30.00 hr at 200 hrs thats still $6k and most shops charge more like $50.00 an hr and if you need rust repair etc. you may have much more time! I suggest that you do what I did and complete as much of it yourself as you can. You can save a lot by stripping the car apart etc and reassembling it yourself. Get the car to a point wherever that may be, and let the pros do the rest! It will be worth it in the long run when its finished! Do however shop around and ask to see the shops work and photos of other restos they have done. The last thing you want is some mako shop working on your ride! Good luck!

John,
I have just over $21,000 into the 71 Demon and its still not done but close.

It's hard to find someone to paint it and get what you want well around here anyway.

The way I look at it is when my wife says she wants this/that or needs this/that I just say get it and she has always let me go on the cars.

Also I look at it this way to BEATING the kids out of there inheritance :thumbup:

The problem I have is NO ACCESS to a body shop or related equipment. If I had that, my car would have been done a while ago. I don't have a welder, or the confidence, to hang quarters. The doors & deck lid are a no-brainer granted, but it's everything else I'm lost. My cousin owned a bodyshop, but got caught up in, shall we say.... a LEGAL issue involving insurance fraud (which was never proved...) and he was advised by his lawyer to surrender his repair shop license before it was pulled from him, making it easier later to re-apply. He also sold off all equipment for legal fees with the lawyer. Where he's working now they do wham-bam insurance repairs. NO resto work. Naturally, I'm screwed...

Besides, you know the old saying about working for friends & family....
249.gif

That's what I did with mine. I stripped everything off the car except for the covertible top itself. I even took out the window and door glass. I plan on putting everything back together myself. I think it is better that way because I know where everything goes and will be the only one to blame if I F it up.

Another thing that may make things much cheaper is if you strip the car completely and trailer it to a place that does soda blasting. I got a quote for $1000 to do my whole car including the engine bay and trunk. Takes it down to shiny metal in no time and zero warping. That should cut your bill significantly because that is where much of the work hours lie. I wish I would have done this but I already had an awesome deal setup with my paint guy. I sort of saved his life in a sense. That $1000 spent will probably save you a couple grand off your quote. Just my 2 cents

oh, just saw that you needed quaters too. In that case, the 8k seems a little more reasonable. I would spend the money now and sleep at night knowing that it will be money well spent in the end when you have the finished product that you can call your own. BTW go with your wife on this one. My GF loves my car hobby so I know I found a keeper.

I gave up a long time ago trying to spend as little money as possible. It doesn't get you very far and you ultimately end up spending the money anyways. I've worked my whole life to realize this dream and it will not be taken from me so long as I have the patience to persevere. Keep the dream alive John for all those who have had theirs crushed and taken away.

She said " Let's go to the scooter show in Manhatten so I can meet Indian Larry" I said we'd do our best. This photograph was taken less than 6 months before his passing. I'm glad we did it.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

THAT :thumbup: is one cool pic.

I have $2k in the body and at least $15k in the powertrain.
Is it worth it - every sanitary moment it has brought me throughout the last 5 yrs. Will I spend more on it - inevitably - and its sure a lot more interesting and satisfying than listening to Dr. Phil (at least the 5 minutes I tried to once)
If its going to bring you the satisfaction you desire and can afford - DO IT.
Tomorrow is gauranteed to noone. :clock:

-
Back