Bondo question

-

ghostkode

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if you use any kind of metal prep before applying Bondo straight to metal.

Nice clean metal with a course scratch is your best bet. Some apply it over primer but the technique is debatable.

Most I have seen on TV apply it straight to bare, sanded metal. I always apply an etching/rust-converting primer first since I have seen many Bondo'ed spots rust thru, but maybe the gomers applied it right over rust. Read-up if Bondo Hair or other fiberglass type materials since I have read that moisture can travel thru the fiberglass, so a primer seems prudent.

I hit it with 50 grit and a 5 inch disc to give it something to grab to. I have seen it crack and peel off primer.

It is Not good to put it over etch primer, bare metal or epoxy primer only, and even with epoxy it can't be applied right away. if I am stripping a large areas or multi-panels i will epoxy the bare metal asap so I don't have to worry about the exposed metal but if I am working on small areas I just apply the filler to the clean sanded bare metal.

220 scuff works also, the truth is, you should have a minimum amount, 1/16th", that it doesn't matter.

Im a professional Collision Repair Technician. You should never apply plastic body filler to a 220 scratch on bare metal.

It doesn't provide for the necessary mechanical adhesion.

80 grit is the minimum I would recommend.

Normally I do my metal work then score the filler area with 40 or 50 grit before applying body filler..

-
Back